Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: East vs. West
East 57 35.19%
West 87 53.70%
Neither 18 11.11%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 05:24 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I think that ethnic and racial issues become very "back burner" in the West. The only thing might be the myriad of Latin Americans in LA and the numerous Chinese/South Asians in the Bay Area to which people just shrug and say "It is what it is."
i see it everytime

unless you're asian, you don't see it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 05:35 PM

637 posts, read 1,015,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
i see it everytime

unless you're asian, you don't see it

That's what I heard from my Asian friends in Queens. There's a lot of passive aggressive hostility out in California against Asians that isn't nearly as present in the East Coast.

-A lot of it coming from Whites constantly emasculating Asian males
-A lot of it coming from Hispanic gangbangers threatening them all the time, even in "Asian friendly" cities such as San Francisco and San Jose where MS-13 and the Nortenos harass innocent Asian business owners.

There is a reason why there are plenty of lower class Asians forming gangs in a lot of the more Asian populated areas, in an extent you don't see Asians in NYC, Boston, Philadelphia, or DC despite having relatively large Asian populations of their own.

Old 04-29-2012, 05:40 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post

That's what I heard from my Asian friends in Queens. There's a lot of passive aggressive hostility out in California against Asians that isn't nearly as present in the East Coast.

-A lot of it coming from Whites constantly emasculating Asian males
-A lot of it coming from Hispanic gangbangers threatening them all the time, even in "Asian friendly" cities such as San Francisco and San Jose where MS-13 and the Nortenos harass innocent Asian business owners.

There is a reason why there are plenty of lower class Asians forming gangs in a lot of the more Asian populated areas, in an extent you don't see Asians in NYC, Boston, Philadelphia, or DC despite having relatively large Asian populations of their own.
This is just absurd.

Old 04-29-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Unless you want to live being a minority under the guidance of White, Hispanic, and Asian racists, then the West Coast is DEFINITELY not the place to be.

Notice how very little to no Black community leaders come out of the West Coast. Like it or not, the West is becoming increasingly hostile to our kind, and we must stick together. There aren't very many middle class or upper class communities out West that have a huge chunk of Black people. Sure, there are your Ladera Heights and Baldwin Hills type places, but the vast majority of Black people out West LIVE in lower middle class areas or straight up impoverished, high crime ghettos that are increasingly being invaded by other minorities or being gentrified by the the Whites. Not saying that it's not happening to NYC, DC, Philadelphia, Boston, or other cities in the Northeast, but at least the communities are large enough in all those areas to still be self-sustaining.

In addition, there is a presence of foreign born Blacks from the Caribbean and Africa that is not present out West. Think of it this way, our country has always been at least 10% Black, if not more. The city of LONDON has more Black people than the whole of Los Angeles metro. That says a WHOLE lot on how desirable the West is for Blacks.

Better than selling out and thinking that being something that I'm not will get me ahead in life. At least out here, as a Black man, I can stall tall and proud and not have some foreigners from China, India, or Mexico tell me where I can and can't live. That is the ultimate insult to our people, who've been here for over 300 years, and toiled under an unfair system.

Because the combined Black population of ALL those metro areas is less than 500,000. You can find more Blacks in Brooklyn itself than in those areas. In addition, typical Western pattern, notice how everywhere that all the Blacks live tends to be on the poorer more ghetto side?

There really is no Black Middle Class out West. At least in the Northeast and the South, and hell, even in the Midwest, you can find areas that are predominantly Black but safe and middle class.

Out West, you'd have to force yourself to be a minority and have everyone else wonder why you're living in their neighborhood if you're Black.

I think our people deserve better.
There are quite a few middle class black folks in the East Bay as well as the LA area.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:03 PM

637 posts, read 1,015,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
This is just absurd.
So you're denying the proof that racism against Asians exists on the West Coast, despite the fact that the Chinese Exclusion Act and nearly ALL of the anti-Asian legislation in the United States came from California?

Are you also denying that there are Asian gangs on the West Coast?

Asian Gangs in Long Beach, California | Street Gangs Resource Center
Asian Gangs in Los Angeles County | Wah Chings | Pinoy | Jeffrox | Satanas - | Street Gangs Resource Center

You do know that today is the 20th anniversary of the Los Angeles Riots. What a terrible calamity that thankfully, has not happened since then.

For 22 murder victims, LA Riots leave legacy of justice eluded | Fox News

Quote:
There are quite a few middle class black folks in the East Bay as well as the LA area.
Compare that to most metro areas east of the Rockies. There's a huge difference. We're talking about towns that are more than 50% Black that no one of any other race is scared of walking through.

It seems that all the towns that are more than 10% Black out West are all dumps, with very few exceptions

Old 04-29-2012, 06:21 PM

this is absurd

its like cali and the midwest who love cali don't see the racism over there

Old 04-29-2012, 06:22 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,018,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
When you move to the West Coast you stop being East Coast
I disagree, if you grow up in say Philly and move to San Francisco when you are say 25, you still a Phillidelphian, despite being far away, you don"t just lose your roots.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:23 PM

arizona is the most openly racist state on the planet

why not mot move to cali?

Old 04-29-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
So you're denying the proof that racism against Asians exists on the West Coast,
It exists everywhere, but to a much lesser degree out here than elsewhere, up to and including your sacred New York area. I have known many Asian-Americans from that area who moved out to CA or WA and have no desire to go back.

Quote:
despite the fact that the Chinese Exclusion Act and nearly ALL of the anti-Asian legislation in the United States came from California?
In 1882

Quote:
Are you also denying that there are Asian gangs on the West Coast?
Would you knock it off this asinine "admit or deny" thing? NO ONE IS DENYING IT NOR HAVE THEY EVER DENIED IT. Come off it, you're proving nothing except that we have more Asians across all economic spectrums here

Furthermore... HEY! Look what I found!

Asian Gangs in New York -- A Special Report; Immigrant Waves From Asia Bring an Underworld Ashore - New York Times

It's from '91, but then...

Quote:
You do know that today is the 20th anniversary of the Los Angeles Riots. What a terrible calamity that thankfully, has not happened since then.
It was a terrible calamity.

Now, since you're dredging up things from over a hundred years ago as evidence of California's all-encompassing racism:

Harlem Riot of 1935 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Harlem Riot of 1943 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Harlem Riot of 1964 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Stonewall riots - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Really can't believe you forgot this one:
Crown Heights riot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Compare that to most metro areas east of the Rockies. There's a huge difference. We're talking about towns that are more than 50% Black that no one of any other race is scared of walking through.

It seems that all the towns that are more than 10% Black out West are all dumps, with very few exceptions
Bull pucky through and through. I can't believe this thread hasn't been locked yet All this thread really is at this point is a sounding board for how much you hate California.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
this is absurd

its like cali and the midwest who love cali don't see the racism over there
No one is denying that racism exists in CA. It does. It exists everywhere.

But, it isn't anywhere near as bad as some of the goons here are making it out to be... it simply isn't.

I saw way more examples of open, overt, and institutionalized racism when I lived in the Northeast than I ever have here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City