Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are these 7 more on the international stage than the other cities of North America?
Yes! 65 91.55%
Nahhh, I don't agree with this for whatever reason 6 8.45%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 08:14 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,723,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
O ok, so that is why we have no representation in America? Did I read that correctly?
Because your getting the hook up. Your holding down the spot, not really at the table, but like a groundskeeper or maid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 08:15 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Today is April 29th 2012 and the citizens in Washington DC have no representation in the United States of America and they have to pay the same taxes as all of you. What kind of excuse are you going to make about tomorrow April 30th 2012 when we all wake up to the same reality?
I'm not against representation for DC, but it is not a colony or backwater territory of the US at all. It has certain perks despite lack of representation.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:29 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I'm not against representation for DC, but it is not a colony or backwater territory of the US at all. It has certain perks despite lack of representation.
So which would you "OyCrumbler" rather have? The economic boom going on for the last 10 years of the entire 321 years Washington DC has been in existence right now due to September 11th, Iraq War, and Afgany War through all the defense spending or the right to vote and choose what happens in your life in this country till you die?

This is hilarious really because where we're these perks in 1991 when DC was a war zone? People have such selective memories.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Because your getting the hook up. Your holding down the spot, not really at the table, but like a groundskeeper or maid.
And what does that have to do with our voice on issues relating to health care, education, immigration, economic development, war, taxes, and any other catagory you want to think of etc. etc. etc. not being heard or considered?

How do you feel about DC not having the right to vote? Which would you rather have, this short lived economic development over the last 10 years of the 321 years DC has been in existence or the right to vote on issues that pertain to you for the rest of your life?

Old 04-29-2012, 08:41 PM

Quote:
So which would you "OyCrumbler" rather have? The economic boom going on for the last 10 years of the entire 321 years Washington DC has been in existence right now due to September 11th, Iraq War, and Afgany War through all the defense spending or the right to vote and choose what happens in your life in this country till you die?

This is hilarious really because where we're these perks in 1991 when DC was a war zone? People have such selective memories?
Yea, that's why I said DC didn't really suffer an inordinate amount of disinvestment compared to other major urban cities. Did you see what NYC was like in the 80s or Killadelphia? How about LA's downtown core and its massive skid row and then the 92 riots? All urban cities got hit hard.

DC was a small city for most of its existence. Its usefulness as a port wasn't very great, and there weren't any big products to funnel through there that wouldn't have been easier to funnel through Baltimore's port. It was a place for consulates and congressional sessions and education for the most part, and most of DC's growth fluctuated with expansion of the US government (like the New Deal stuff which massively expanded the jobs in DC).

There are some grievances to be aired, I'm sure, but urban disinvestment isn't one specific to DC at all and judging by the correlations between federal government expansion and DC population expansion, there's not too big of a reason to rail against DC's raison d'etre even though the lack of representation is a bad thing.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Yea, that's why I said DC didn't really suffer an inordinate amount of disinvestment compared to other major urban cities. Did you see what NYC was like in the 80s or Killadelphia? How about LA's downtown core and its massive skid row and then the 92 riots? All urban cities got hit hard.

DC was a small city for most of its existence. Its usefulness as a port wasn't very great, and there weren't any big products to funnel through there that wouldn't have been easier to funnel through Baltimore's port. It was a place for consulates and congressional sessions and education for the most part, and most of DC's growth fluctuated with expansion of the US government (like the New Deal stuff which massively expanded the jobs in DC).

There are some grievances to be aired, I'm sure, but urban disinvestment isn't one specific to DC at all and judging by the correlations between federal government expansion and DC population expansion, there's not too big of a reason to rail against DC's raison d'etre even though the lack of representation is a bad thing.
So what is your solution to our lack of representation? How do you feel about it? Are you outraged or do you just go on with your day awaiting your day at the polls when you can make a difference? Just wondering....I hear so much complaining on hear yet I don't see anybody who would give up their right to vote for the few perks people living in Washington DC have. It actually makes more since for residents of Washington DC to complain about all the perks you all get which are 1,000,000 to 1 compared to what people in DC have. The perks you all get can be numbered by every agenda item on the congressional daily schedule which Washington DC residents never take part in unlike yourselves!

By the way, DC's violence was head and shoulders over every other city nationwide. DC also burned to the ground and lay dormant for decades. There was no city anywhere that could match the war zone that was Washington DC. speaking of NYC, people in DC used to shoot at cars just because they had NYC plates. DC was on a different level. Do you have any idea what it takes for a population of 500,000+ to kill close to 500 people. That level of violence had never and still has never been seen in this country.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
So what is your solution to our lack of representation? How do you feel about it? Are you outraged or do you just go on with your day awaiting your day at the polls when you can make a difference? Just wondering....I hear so much complaining on hear yet I don't see anybody who would give up their right to vote for the few perks people living in Washington DC have. It actually makes more since for residents of Washington DC to complain about all the perks you all get which are 1,000,000 to 1 compared to what people in DC have. The perks you all get can be numbered by every agenda item on the congressional daily schedule which Washington DC residents never take part in unlike yourselves!

By the way, DC's violence was head and shoulders over every other city nationwide. DC also burned to the ground and lay dormant for decades. There was no city anywhere that could match the war zone that was Washington DC. speaking of NYC, people in DC used to shoot at cars just because they had NYC plates. DC was on a different level. Do you have any idea what it takes for a population of 500,000+ to kill close to 500 people. That level of violence had never and still has never been seen in this country.
Well, there was Miami which had the highest murder rate in the world for a while (which means beating out DC). There's also the fact that the Bronx, though part of a city, was more populous than DC and had a higher murder rate.

As for representation, I'm mostly for it but it'll be hell pushing it through now since DC is very solidly blue which is just enough to provide a tipping point in some legislation. Also, there is the fact that DC was established on principle to exclude itself from the federal voting process as the idea is the city was made to meet the nation's needs and not its own, and anyone who lives there is complicit in that (sort of a social contract in being in DC, yea?). I'm not passionate on the issue really.

If the federal government were to say that it's packing up its pushing its jobs and investments from DC (which of course it won't) elsewhere to somewhere more central to the nation as a new capital, but the con is that you no longer have congressional representation, I think there would be a lot of cities big and small in the interior which would work hard to get that.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Well, there was Miami which had the highest murder rate in the world for a while (which means beating out DC). There's also the fact that the Bronx, though part of a city, was more populous than DC and had a higher murder rate.

As for representation, I'm mostly for it but it'll be hell pushing it through now since DC is very solidly blue which is just enough to provide a tipping point in some legislation. Also, there is the fact that DC was established on principle to exclude itself from the federal voting process as the idea is the city was made to meet the nation's needs and not its own, and anyone who lives there is complicit in that (sort of a social contract in being in DC, yea?). I'm not passionate on the issue really.

If the federal government were to say that it's packing up its pushing its jobs and investments from DC (which of course it won't) elsewhere to somewhere more central to the nation as a new capital, but the con is that you no longer have congressional representation, I think there would be a lot of cities big and small in the interior which would work hard to get that.

I have a very hard time believing any city that currently has senators and house representatives which would be every city in America other than DC would give that up for anything. Name a city that would give up their right to have senators or house representatives? Would you? Also, when did Miami have a higher murder per capita than DC's highest? Also, SE, NE, and SW had the bulk of the murders in DC during the 90's. If you want to put the Bronx up against the population of those three sections of DC and their murder count you are setting yourself up for failure. Ask the FBI, no place came close to the intensity of violense in the district.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:03 AM

Quote:
I have a very hard time believing any city that currently has senators and house representatives which would be every city in America other than DC would give that up for anything. Name a city that would give up their right to have senators or house representatives? Would you? Also, when did Miami have a higher murder per capita than DC's highest? Also, SE, NE, and SW had the bulk of the murders in DC during the 90's. If you want to put the Bronx up against the population of those three sections of DC and their murder count you are setting yourself up for failure. Ask the FBI, no place came close to the intensity of violense in the district.
A lot of rust belt cities which are not even close to recovered. I think for employment's sake, people would be more than willing to give that up. As I live in NYC and this area isn't really economically depressed, I'm not so sure.

Miami during the cocaine cowboy days of the 80s had the highest per capita murder rate in the world, but slightly superseded by DC afterwards. The point is nearly every city hit a huge downward spiral. DC was hit badly, but not in a completely other league, and I don't really see a causation factor between DC's lack of representation and the crime rate because it hit every urban city.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:42 AM

2,419 posts, read 4,723,143 times
Quote:
I could name a million cities that would do that in a heartbeat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City