Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2012, 06:04 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,030,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Oakland wow thats funny anyway atlanta and indy should be added to this list they both our great cities for blacks. The blacks in Atlanta are very wealthy, i dont even think they are any ghettos in Atlanta is their?
Um, yeah...there are a few rough neighborhoods in Atlanta. The Bluff is a pretty notorious one (English Avenue and Vine City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) and a good bit of southwest (SWATS) and northwest Atlanta are pretty ghetto as well. Places like Capitol View, Vine City, Pittsburgh, English Avenue, Metropolitan Parkway, etc. are pretty rought, even with the revitalization efforts currently taking place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 06:13 PM

432 posts, read 609,709 times
Best city for blacks?

NYC
Chicago
Philadelphia
DC
Atlanta
Miami..................

Old 09-21-2012, 09:22 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,660,794 times
I moved to Atlanta from Detroit. I honestly can't say I met a pervasive ghetto element among Atlanta blacks. My first impressions was that Atlanta was the black San Francisco and the black beverly hills all at the same time. A lot of attitudes, for better or worse, demonstrating the strong black middle class there. A lot of buppies. A lot of blacks in skinny jeans, skateboards, with piercings, some in the punk scene. The women (both black or white) are head and shoulders above what you get in Detroit. It sorta reminds me the blacks out in San Diego, too bad there are few of them in San Diego.

In fact, I found the attitude too stuffy and so I'd go out to college park, east point, and in general south atlanta to hang with people I find easier to talk with. Not to knock the middle class, and the professionals they got there. If you want to raise your kids among black role models, in black schools but that perform then Atlanta is for you. I say this cause I know every black person is different, and not many see the need for living in a place like Atlanta. I prefer either my hometown LA or MIA.

Moved to Sandy Springs then right by Lindbergh Station.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:45 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,747,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Oakland wow thats funny anyway atlanta and indy should be added to this list they both our great cities for blacks. The blacks in Atlanta are very wealthy, i dont even think they are any ghettos in Atlanta is their?

What's funny about it?

Old 09-21-2012, 10:16 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,402,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Hill View Post
Best city for blacks?

NYC
Chicago
Philadelphia
DC
Atlanta
Miami..................
chicago , Philadelphia, and miami???

Old 09-22-2012, 12:06 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Do a Barrel Roll View Post
It's COL isn't justified in any way other than it's the only area that's cranking jobs (thanks to excessive Gov't spending).
I do like DC, but I've said as much myself.

Quote:
Not to discredit you, but from what I've seen from the rap music, TV shows, and media personalities that represent Atlanta, it just seems to have the bourgie & ghetto DC attitude on steroids.
Oh GOD no....while there is an element of that here in Atlanta, DC has us beat in that department hands down. There's definitely more of a "middle" here than in DC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
The best city for blacks? Anywhere there's humans I would argue.

I'm black but I can't stand the fact that black people STILL think living in cities with majority African-Americans constitute a city best for African-Africans to live in! When we will learn? Live where you want to live and stop looking at skin color. Believe it or not, whites are not in a huge conspiracy to get you down. There are too many people struggling in this economy to be worrying about your black skin. If most black people acted like they had some sense every now and then, other races wouldn't feel so much angst against us and you wouldn't be worried about where to live.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb1956 View Post
I'm having a hard time answering this without getting angry. Maybe I'm missing something but why wouldn't someone who is black, brown, white, or any other ethnicity move anywhere they want based on their wants or needs? What is my criteria for deciding what is best for someone to move to? Montana is nice, but I'm not sure how to recommend based on color. NYC is fantastic but very congested and expensive, Phoenix is nice but also congested and weather in summer may put someone off. Are you looking for a neighborhood that is mostly black, mixed, lower, middle class, upper class, has minority programs, after school programs?? I would remove the color reference and look for what it is you want career wise, employers, educational requirements, medical needs, weather, entertainment & culture, crime statistics, retirement interests, but not for how others may see your happiness being satisfied without knowing specific criteria.
I'm quite surprised by the amount of people who really don't understand that in this context, and many others where these sorts of issues are discussed, race is merely a proxy for culture. Blacks do indeed have our own subculture here in the United States based on things like music, entertainment, cuisine, religion, civic organizations, etc. This isn't to say that every Black person in America is an HBCU graduate who belongs to one of the Divine Nine, listens to hip hop, collects every Tyler Perry DVD, eats soul food exclusively, and attends the big Bapticostal church in town but there are certain elements that do indeed make up the Black subculture and several of them are characteristic for many Blacks. Now if that's not you and you don't identify with Black culture, then just pay this topic and keep it moving. Just understand that you're in the minority for the most part. Personally, I just know I'm not moving anywhere I won't have a decent selection of loctitians to tighten up my locs and barbers to line me up, where my fraternity doesn't have a graduate chapter, where there's a dearth of churches rooted in the historic Black religious experience, or where there's not a decent urban radio station.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:29 AM

76 posts, read 143,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post

Oh GOD no....while there is an element of that here in Atlanta, DC has us beat in that department hands down. There's definitely more of a "middle" here than in DC.

I'm quite surprised by the amount of people who really don't understand that in this context, and many others where these sorts of issues are discussed, race is merely a proxy for culture. Blacks do indeed have our own subculture here in the United States based on things like music, entertainment, cuisine, religion, civic organizations, etc. This isn't to say that every Black person in America is an HBCU graduate who belongs to one of the Divine Nine, listens to hip hop, collects every Tyler Perry DVD, eats soul food exclusively, and attends the big Bapticostal church in town but there are certain elements that do indeed make up the Black subculture and several of them are characteristic for many Blacks. Now if that's not you and you don't identify with Black culture, then just pay this topic and keep it moving. Just understand that you're in the minority for the most part. Personally, I just know I'm not moving anywhere I won't have a decent selection of loctitians to tighten up my locs and barbers to line me up, where my fraternity doesn't have a graduate chapter, where there's a dearth of churches rooted in the historic Black religious experience, or where there's not a decent urban radio station.
ok now we're getting somewhere; sort of. Honestly, don't feel I'm stirring the pot in this post as I do find this interesting. I know you've stated, "loctitians" and urban radio, it would be nice to know your fraternity chapter, and how many churches remove the label, "dearth". Urban radio can be found anywhere with satellite and online radio available. I'm sure in most urban cities these and all other wants are likely to be met. Maybe knowing your preferred racial percentage of whites to blacks would help? Austin, Texas is 12% Blacks, 50+% white, 30+% hispanic while Los Angeles is less than 10% Black and a large mix of other ethnicity and both don't seem to have a "dearth" of any of your wants, but again, you'd have to decide this. Now, Atlanta is largely Black at over 60% Black and should cover most of your wishlist but may not be the best weather if that is important to you as it is a beast in the summer with humidity. I personally never pick a community by any of your criteria and look to find balanced cultures that have a more relaxed upward approach to living. By "upward", I mean without baggage of separation of cultures & subcultures. A beach community without much tourism sounds fantastic to me and I grew up in the heat and desert of Phoenix so I'm hungry for a change. ( now live in the south...Virginia). It would be easy for me to say, Chicago, Detroit, NYC, LA, Atl, but don't discount hundreds of other urban cities. Here's a link to an Austin TX website...and I say Austin because it is an entertainment mecca that is more diverse than most think. austin blackpages -- Guide to Austin. Just so you know...I am Italian American with an emphasis on American yet I do not seek Italian American neighborhoods or communities. That would be silly and close minded. Believe me, I am deeply Italian but have a NEED for mingling with other cultures as we are ONE. Capiche? lol

Old 09-22-2012, 12:28 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post

Same here; sans the locs lol.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:46 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb1956 View Post
ok now we're getting somewhere; sort of. Honestly, don't feel I'm stirring the pot in this post as I do find this interesting. I know you've stated, "loctitians" and urban radio, it would be nice to know your fraternity chapter, and how many churches remove the label, "dearth". Urban radio can be found anywhere with satellite and online radio available. I'm sure in most urban cities these and all other wants are likely to be met. Maybe knowing your preferred racial percentage of whites to blacks would help? Austin, Texas is 12% Blacks, 50+% white, 30+% hispanic while Los Angeles is less than 10% Black and a large mix of other ethnicity and both don't seem to have a "dearth" of any of your wants, but again, you'd have to decide this. Now, Atlanta is largely Black at over 60% Black and should cover most of your wishlist but may not be the best weather if that is important to you as it is a beast in the summer with humidity. I personally never pick a community by any of your criteria and look to find balanced cultures that have a more relaxed upward approach to living. By "upward", I mean without baggage of separation of cultures & subcultures. A beach community without much tourism sounds fantastic to me and I grew up in the heat and desert of Phoenix so I'm hungry for a change. ( now live in the south...Virginia). It would be easy for me to say, Chicago, Detroit, NYC, LA, Atl, but don't discount hundreds of other urban cities. Here's a link to an Austin TX website...and I say Austin because it is an entertainment mecca that is more diverse than most think. austin blackpages -- Guide to Austin. Just so you know...I am Italian American with an emphasis on American yet I do not seek Italian American neighborhoods or communities. That would be silly and close minded. Believe me, I am deeply Italian but have a NEED for mingling with other cultures as we are ONE. Capiche? lol
I never said or implied that a city/metro with a high Black population is the most ideal for Blacks. I know Black folks who live in cities like Austin, Denver, Minneapolis, etc. doing just fine for themselves. Those cities have enough of a critical mass of Blacks to have those cultural amenities I mentioned early that are important to many Blacks.

As a White person, you may not feel the need to seek out a particular ethnic neighborhood, but that's something that is indeed important for many (not all) minorities for a variety of reasons. A person may opt to do that yet can still take advantage of diverse cultural offerings that his/her city might offer. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:11 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,909,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Doesn't Indiana have more KKK member than anywhere in the country?
Nope. According to the Southern Poverty Law Center there are 20 known hate organizations in Indiana. The following states have more hate organizations: Califorina 84, Georgia 65, Florida 55, New Jersey 47, Texas 45, Mississippi 41, Tennessee 39, New York 37, Pennsylvania 34, Virginia 34, North Carolina 34, Alabama 32, Ohio 32, Ilinois 28, South Carolina 27, Missouri 26, Arkansas 26, Michigan 26.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City