Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2012, 12:44 AM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR121 View Post
I don't think of Texas as the south

Good thinking. Because it is not a part of The American South.

Texas is Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 12:47 AM

886 posts, read 1,563,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Good thinking. Because it is not a part of The American South.

Texas is Texas.
My wife is Mexican and grew up in El Paso and she's offended at the thought of being called a southerner. I'm white and every time I go to Atlanta I feel like I'm in the deep south, Dallas not so much. It can pass off as a more vegetated Phoenix. D.C., Houston, and Atlanta are southern but not the rest of Texas or Miami

Old 05-08-2012, 12:59 AM

814 posts, read 1,475,274 times
We might as well all give up. It is obviously a hopeless cause. The majority have their beliefs and the minority have thiers (even if it is irrational, repetitive, and stupid). Everydody knows Houston and El paso are polar opposites. People in Houston (like Nairobi and most other Houston posters) consider themselves Southerners and that is what I will go by, even thought there are other obvious indicators. What ever the majority of a place thinks. How about we got back on topic and go by what the census says(yes the US government) and the original poster. Except we will exclude DC and Baltimore, since everybody in the majority is in agreement with that.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:48 AM

4 posts, read 5,663 times
Texas and Florida are better than any other states in these regions.

Texas and Florida > south and midwest

Old 05-08-2012, 08:10 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Regardless of whether or not the entire state of Texas can be shoved into the south (which is, quite frankly, irrelevant to this discussion), Houston and Dallas are undeniably southern, and absolutely belong in the southern city list. Even Spade agrees with that, I'm sure.

Yep. I do. They aren't Midwestern cities (though Dallas does have some slight characteristics. They aren't Western cities in the same sense as Phoenix or Los Angeles (though Houston's built environment is modeled after LA and other gridded Western cities). They aren't East Coast cities. They are Southern cities.

Also guess what folks, Miami is ALSO Southern. Just because people from the Northeast and Latin America has moved there in huge numbers the past 4 decades, does not change it's history. Heck, Houston is now becoming a Latin city itself with a rapidly growing Asian community. It's still Southern.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post

This goes to my other point no one is saying KC is southern, How the heck does Dallas has Midwestern characteristics? The relationship of Kansas city to Cleveland is like the relationship of Dallas to Atlanta. The relationship between DFW and Kansas is the Great Plains, In Which no one is calling Kansas city not the Midwest because it's on the plains.

Also do you realize New Orleans and Memphis are closer to Dallas than KC is? Not mention the regions in Between is way more developed. To be technical Dallas is closer to Louisiana than it is OKC or Austin. The Great Plains are very sparsely develop while DFW neighbors east Texas with it is small towns which connects with Louisiana. I grew up back and forth between Atlanta and DFW, I know DFW just as well as I do with Atlanta, I rep both Atlanta and DFW. I never heard anyone EVER in DFW say DFW is anything else besides it's the south.
Because it does. Just because I said Dallas has some slight Midwestern characteristics does not mean I am calling Dallas a Midwestern city. I know Dallas is Southern. I don't really care how far Memphis is to New Orleans nor do I care that Dallas is closer to Louisiana than it is to Austin or OKC. That's irrelevant to my comment. In fact, Memphis is closer to St. Louis than it is to New Orleans. Does that mean I must stop calling Memphis Southern? The distance between said cities means little to me somewhat.

I said there is a growing bond between the I-35 corridor plain cities from Kansas City to Wichita to Oklahoma City (with Tulsa being an outlier since it's not on 35) to DFW. There again was a thread in the Dallas forum and people acknowledged just that.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
Except we will exclude DC and Baltimore, since everybody in the majority is in agreement with that.
The funny thing about DC is that the older native generations of the city is Southern. After many years of denying it, I've come to that conclusion that city is really nothing of the Northeast or South. I work with born and raised Washingtons and one of them who grew up on Georgia Ave NW off Park Rd. He pronounces street as "screet." He say scrawberries instead of strawberries. That is not all to different than what you will hear in some of the towns of Georgia and Florida.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:44 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yep. I do. They aren't Midwestern cities (though Dallas does have some slight characteristics. They aren't Western cities in the same sense as Phoenix or Los Angeles (though Houston's built environment is modeled after LA and other gridded Western cities). They aren't East Coast cities. They are Southern cities.

Also guess what folks, Miami is ALSO Southern. Just because people from the Northeast and Latin America has moved there in huge numbers the past 4 decades, does not change it's history. Heck, Houston is now becoming a Latin city itself with a rapidly growing Asian community. It's still Southern.
And there you have it.

Instead of ousting cities from the South due to demographic and cultural changes, a redefining of what it means to be Southern is really in order. This ain't your grandma's South anymore.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:58 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Lol I still say that dude just wanted to kick Houston, Dallas, and Miami out of the discussion. That's the only logical explanation for this foolishness, so he can deny it all he wants.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:07 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Lol I still say that dude just wanted to kick Houston, Dallas, and Miami out of the discussion. That's the only logical explanation for this foolishness, so he can deny it all he wants.
Right. People don't do that to any other region except the South. We can't help it that we're so big and varied beyond people's narrow stereotypes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City