Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2012, 11:44 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,252,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliz View Post
Ok ok slyman11. You win northern man don't won't you around anyhow. Gheezh such venom. Did you get treated poorly when up here or what. ????
I dont hate the midwest, as I have said many times that it may perhaps be a great place to raise a family and live. I dont know, I have no family of my own at this point. As for my treatment in the midwest it was neither good or bad, it was weird. Doesnt seem like the all American region is designed for diversity, what a shame because you have some nice cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR121 View Post
Sly, what's your deal? Why do you hate anything associated with the north this much?
I dont hate the north, I could live in 3 northern cities and never so much as to complain about what I'm giving up here in DC to do it. Those cities are NY, Boston, and Minneapolis. I like a fourth northern city to visit and while I wouldn't live there, if I was forced to I would make the best of it and wouldnt have much to complain about with Chicago. As for the rest of the north, they're either boring and dull or just complete crimeridden industrial dumps. Indy for example is a nice place but its small, its nice but nothing unique that you cant already get in the west or south.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Underrated is a compliment, btw, so I'll take that over "unlimited water in the middle of the prairie", for one. Orlando, Nashville and Austin have NOT contributed more to the world than Kansas City, St. Louis, or Cleveland, and if you believe that you probably aren't very well educated.

We lost the game? The South utterly blows and yet you STILL brag about its greatness. There isn't ONE great city in the South (unless you include DC in the South, and I don't). Atlanta is not great, Houston is not great, Dallas is not great, and Miami is far from great. The cities are brand new and built cheaply, not to mention God-awfully ugly! It's cheap as hell to live there for a reason. It's the WORST in education and crime, two aspects I personally take with high regard (I know I know....you don't). You're making fun of the Midwest for having a family-oriented culture? What an odd remark -- since when is that a bad thing?! You make fun of our cities for losing population, even though the ONLY cities that grew were those which annexed land (C-bus and Indy) and every other city has hard and defined boundaries that will probably NEVER change.

Don't get confused: just because the South is growing does NOT make it great! If you want to be great you'll have to do MORE than steal Africans and force them to live in and love your cities, and steal industry from the North because your bumfuk cousins only ask for minimum wage with no job security because that's by FAR the best option most of you have. At least Northern cities PAID their industrial employees to be middle class citizens!

Boy the South sounds sweet!
I never made fun of the midwest for 'family values'. I was just saying a culture like that isnt in everyones best interest and with me that would certainly be the situation.

The midwest is a weaker region compared to the south or west, I mean why would you try to argue the landlocked dullest region to offer as much as the other 3? When your on the great lakes you know exactly whats on the otherside of the lake, another midwestern state. No marine life, no dolphins, no natural phenomenons, no cruises, nothing just the midwest and Canada. Great for a hallmark postcard.

The Atlantic and gulf are majestic, when you look across the horizon of either you know that it goes to a place more international and foreign than anything the midwest has to offer. Across the Atlantic you have Europe and Africa, across the gulf you have Central, South, Caribbean America. When you feel the wind brewing from the coast, you dont know what country its coming from, in the midwest its coming from another U.S. state.

Interesting you mention crime and education. Yes as a region the midwest is better off than the south, I wont dispute that but I dont live in podunks. I have standards of where I would call home. The big cities of Dallas and Houston are some of the safest big cities in the U.S. and their crime trends are only getting better each year, the midwest has Minneapolis which is on the safe end of the pool but the rest like Cleveland, St. Louis, Kansas City, Cincinnati, etc are all crimeridden. With the case of St. Louis and Cleveland they're also declining both city and region. DC while having high crime sheds its crime by leaps and bounds each year and this is the best its been in over 65 years here, the same can be said for Miami and Atlanta. Compare that to Chicago and Detroit which are actually trending upward.

I am very well educated and last I checked Orlando actually recieves more international visitors than any midwestern metro, perhaps combine the top 4 midwestern metros on tourism and they still arent any match for Orlando. Thats world recognition, no one in the world cares for a place like Cleveland which just like everything else except Chicago in the midwest is a regional American name. Austin is one of the premiere fashion hotspots in the U.S. and to a lesser exent the world. It ranks only behind NY, LA, Miami, Vegas, Dallas, Chicago, Atlanta. Its also a nice place for music and film festivities because it has a huge and growing music and film industry. Nashville similarly dominates the music scene and that goes without saying that the only places in the midwest that can go head to head or surpass Austin and Nashville are Detroit, Minneapolis, or Chicago on the music. There is nothing global about declining places like Clevaland or St. Louis and speaking of Austin or Nashville they're safer places to live than Cleveland or St. Louis I dont know if you care for safety but I do and very few cities get safer than Austin.

Well the south is cheap but the midwest is cheaper. Detroit, Cleveland, Cincinnati, St. Louis, Kansas City are all much cheaper than Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, or Miami. DC is more expensive than Chicago which is the most expensive the midwest gets.

Last edited by Slyman11; 05-07-2012 at 12:20 PM..

Old 05-07-2012, 12:35 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,533,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post
Doesnt seem like the all American region is designed for diversity, what a shame because you have some nice cities.
Define diversity. In terms of the rural landscape, the Midwest is pretty whitebread. That's not the region's fault. Blacks and European immigrant groups were compelled to migrate to Midwestern cities in search of work. Still, many Midwestern cities have black populations that exceed the national population (as a %). Furthermore, the European ancestry of the white population tends to be more varied than what you find in the south.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:00 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,310,892 times
Quote:
I dont hate the midwest, as I have said many times that it may perhaps be a great place to raise a family and live. I dont know, I have no family of my own at this point. As for my treatment in the midwest it was neither good or bad, it was weird. Doesnt seem like the all American region is designed for diversity, what a shame because you have some nice cities.
Can you elaborate on your experience. Because My experience in the small midwest towns have been weird also. I'm aminority BTW so that was definitely a factor imo. The big and medium sized cities were decent though (like Madison and grand Rapids)

Old 05-07-2012, 01:47 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,745,280 times
Quote:
I never made fun of the midwest for 'family values'. I was just saying a culture like that isnt in everyones best interest and with me that would certainly be the situation.

The midwest is a weaker region compared to the south or west, I mean why would you try to argue the landlocked dullest region to offer as much as the other 3? When your on the great lakes you know exactly whats on the otherside of the lake, another midwestern state. No marine life, no dolphins, no natural phenomenons, no cruises, nothing just the midwest and Canada. Great for a hallmark postcard.

The Atlantic and gulf are majestic, when you look across the horizon of either you know that it goes to a place more international and foreign than anything the midwest has to offer. Across the Atlantic you have Europe and Africa, across the gulf you have Central, South, Caribbean America. When you feel the wind brewing from the coast, you dont know what country its coming from, in the midwest its coming from another U.S. state.

Interesting you mention crime and education. Yes as a region the midwest is better off than the south, I wont dispute that but I dont live in podunks. I have standards of where I would call home. The big cities of Dallas and Houston are some of the safest big cities in the U.S. and their crime trends are only getting better each year, the midwest has Minneapolis which is on the safe end of the pool but the rest like Cleveland, St. Louis, Kansas City, Cincinnati, etc are all crimeridden. With the case of St. Louis and Cleveland they're also declining both city and region. DC while having high crime sheds its crime by leaps and bounds each year and this is the best its been in over 65 years here, the same can be said for Miami and Atlanta. Compare that to Chicago and Detroit which are actually trending upward.

I am very well educated and last I checked Orlando actually recieves more international visitors than any midwestern metro, perhaps combine the top 4 midwestern metros on tourism and they still arent any match for Orlando. Thats world recognition, no one in the world cares for a place like Cleveland which just like everything else except Chicago in the midwest is a regional American name. Austin is one of the premiere fashion hotspots in the U.S. and to a lesser exent the world. It ranks only behind NY, LA, Miami, Vegas, Dallas, Chicago, Atlanta. Its also a nice place for music and film festivities because it has a huge and growing music and film industry. Nashville similarly dominates the music scene and that goes without saying that the only places in the midwest that can go head to head or surpass Austin and Nashville are Detroit, Minneapolis, or Chicago on the music. There is nothing global about declining places like Clevaland or St. Louis and speaking of Austin or Nashville they're safer places to live than Cleveland or St. Louis I dont know if you care for safety but I do and very few cities get safer than Austin.

Well the south is cheap but the midwest is cheaper. Detroit, Cleveland, Cincinnati, St. Louis, Kansas City are all much cheaper than Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, or Miami. DC is more expensive than Chicago which is the most expensive the midwest gets.
The St. Louis metro area has never declined in population. It continues to grow steadily. It grew about 4% from 2000-2010, not much, but it's not declining.

And for crime. The Cleveland metro area ranked 254, and the St. Louis metro area ranked 266 out of 354 for safest metro areas, so there are plenty of metro areas that are less safe, like Nashville, Houston, Orlando, Jacksonville, Miami, San Antonio, Memphis, Tulsa, Little Rock, etc. And the Atlanta metro area is ranked below Cleveland in safety and only 5 ahead of St. Louis. So the crime part shouldn't even be brought up. And to me, metro area crime rankings mean a lot more than city crime rankings because when you move to a city, you get the whole metro area, not just the city. This is especially true in physically small cities like St. Louis.

Last edited by Smtchll; 05-07-2012 at 02:05 PM..

Old 05-07-2012, 02:01 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,310,892 times
MIdwest cities have alot more character overall. Southern cities are pretty bland outside of their core areas. But most southern cities, despite the fact that the unemployment rate is similar to cities in the midwest, seem to have more of a positive energy that is hard to explain. it's a draw for me

mas23

Old 05-07-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Define diversity.
Sure thing.

Diversity = Nationalities/racial groups/ethnicity

International = Strong ties to countries all over the world

Cosmopolitan = Multiracial/multi-international mixing

In Miami its not uncommon to see a black man who speaks fluent Spanish, has green eyes, and says that he is half Colombian and half Dominican. Its not uncommon to see a woman who is half French and half Cuban. Miami is cosmopolitan. Its a general American thing to say your a quarter Irish, Italian, German, and English when your practically an average Joe white guy with no cultural commonalities with these countries your ancestors came from, plus they're regionally all European. When you start mixing people from different corners of the world, it becomes interesting and with that the midwest really lacks that even in Chicago [you can thank segregation for that] IMO.

DC, Houston, Atlanta, and Dallas just like Miami have these commonalities

Last edited by Slyman11; 05-07-2012 at 02:22 PM..

Old 05-07-2012, 02:08 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
"Texas is neither Southern or Western, Texas is Texas"

This quote in addition to not every part of Texas being settled by Southerners is why Texas will always and I mean always be in question.

As far as Dallas...there is a connection with KC. Maybe not historically, but presentally and in the future, the Great Plains (which Dallas is included in) is forming a bond. One Midwestern, one Southern. Dallas has some characteristics of the Midwest...Many of its residents agree in the Dallas forum as well.

Yes. This.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
Can you elaborate on your experience. Because My experience in the small midwest towns have been weird also. I'm aminority BTW so that was definitely a factor imo. The big and medium sized cities were decent though (like Madison and grand Rapids)
Its very general American, midwesterners come off as very isolated or closed off from the rest of the world. They're happy with their American ancestries but thats the thing, perhaps living in DC has spoiled me because its common to see such a large multiracial population. This is one thing about DC that trends more to southern cities like Miami or Houston than to places like Pittsburgh or Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City