Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Los Angeles vs. San Francisco
Los Angeles 132 38.26%
San Francisco 213 61.74%
Voters: 345. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 07:28 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,756,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beone View Post
Well, that's your opinion, but I would never recommend LA. I would recommend NYC and SF, above all, followed by Boston, D.C., Chicago and Seattle. Sorry, I would never recommend LA to anyone. Guess we have different opinions, huh?

Ditto!

On another topic.

Can anyone explain what this is all about.

Quote:
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to beone again.
What do these cryptic messages mean in terms of what they want you to do?

Old 10-07-2007, 07:32 AM

Quote:
For me...it is a very high priority - weather that is. I do love the weather in LA. I would love to have it be that nice and warm every day here.
My priorities:

1) Cost of Living Index especially what it costs to buy a home compared to the median household income of the area
2) Jobs
3) Quality of Life (Subjective: but for me, it has to have good eats, some quality performing arts, museums and galleries, and a 4 year university.
4) Weather is a "good to have, but not necessary" item.

Why is weather low priority. Because very few places in the US have my ideal weather.... say 45-80 degrees and not too humid, year round.

Since I can't pick and choose among the most important factors, ECONOMICS, then I have to pick trade offs.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Travel & Leisures World's Top 10 Cities!

Top 10 Cities Overall
1 Florence 86.90
2 Buenos Aires 86.75
3 Bangkok 86.56
4 Rome 86.30
5 Sydney 86.27
6 New York 85.36 (up from #8 last year)
7 Udaipur, India 85.12
8 Istanbul 84.78
9 San Francisco 84.60 (up from #10 last year)
10 Cape Town 84.12
I think Travel and Leisure vs. Living someplace full time are very different things.

I think Rome is a lot more livable than Florence, even though I like the vibe a lot better in Florence. (I was an exchange student in Florence, and I had a serious relationship with someone in Rome so I got to experience both places from the inside out.)

Old 10-07-2007, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
A lot of vistors make the mistake of coming to the Los Angeles area and only going to Hollywood and downtown LA and not seeing areas like the Simi Hills easily visible from both Chatsworth Park North and South, the scenic view from Big Tujunga Canyon and Angeles Crest Highway in the San Gabriel Mountians, the nice shopping areas in Burbank (especially on Golden Mall Ave.) the beaches at Malibu and Leo Carrillo and many other local places.
The other places you mention sound nice. However, I never go to a destination to visit because of shopping. That not even a priority.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:20 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,497,836 times
Oh, CousinPete's vote goes to LA! Now San Francisco's in big trouble! Oh, no! Pete, it's 60-SF, 23-LA... And you posted those same damn pics in the West vs. East Coast thread. Please, my eyes are burning looking at that horrid sprawl! Mercy!

Old 10-08-2007, 08:28 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,152,737 times
If you want gayness and alternative lifestyles; San Francisco

If you want to live in Mexico, without having to leave the U.S.; Los Angeles

If you want to live in a normal place; neither one

Old 10-09-2007, 12:52 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,206,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Oh, CousinPete's vote goes to LA! Now San Francisco's in big trouble! Oh, no! Pete, it's 60-SF, 23-LA... And you posted those same damn pics in the West vs. East Coast thread. Please, my eyes are burning looking at that horrid sprawl! Mercy!
Horrid sprawl! Your eyes burn, Futchie, because these pictures make NY look like L. A.'s slightly smaller, homelier sister! And that was just the Westside.

Old 10-09-2007, 01:20 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,497,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
Horrid sprawl! Your eyes burn, Futchie, because these pictures make NY look like L. A.'s slightly smaller, homelier sister! And that was just the Westside.
Yeah, you wish. Wait, slightly SMALLER? New York City is slightly SMALLER than LA???? Ladies and gentleman, the intelligence of "Milquetoast" has been revealed! Wow.

Arguing with you is pointless. You obviously don't understand what character is... What else can you expect from an Angeleno? I don't blame you, Milque. I blame the California Department of Education for brainwashing the youth of the State of California. And I do not have the patience to sit here and argue with someone who has a one-dimensional mind. LA will always be BELOW NYC. Hollywood is the most ridiculous claim to fame in the World. I'd put my head down in shame if that's how NYC became so well-known. Shows how desperate Los Angeles was and currently is that they believe the definition of true character and uniquenss is Hollywood. Hollywood is the definition of fake. Like Hollywood is what makes a city great.

And as if changing the way my username is pronounced and spelled is going to change anything. I think you're just running out of comebacks, I'm just drying your mouth out. You are, as of now, on my ignore list.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:13 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,206,910 times
I'm sorry Mr. FutureCop, but I've explained myself ad nauseum and you still won't LISTEN! I will, however, continue to sweep up after you, wherever you roam with your sweet jealousy! How do those ignore lists work, anyway? L. A. looks like one giant park, especially from the air (which is the best way to view something that expansive), compared to the somewhat sterile, concrete sandbar of Manhattan. Without Golden Gate park, San Francisco has to depend on it's actual character and charm (which it has more of in its little pinky than all of NY) and the overall surroundings of the area to keep from falling into that 'concrete' trap NY has embraced. L. A. has the least amount of park space per capita than any big city in the country. They don't take into consideration that most live in single family residences with their OWN trees and their OWN front and back yards. Living, growing grass and plantlife and the wildlife that depend on it. Private, not public. Los Angeles also has the most wildlife of any big city in the country. Character, diversity... please FutureCop, don't ignore me! You might actually learn something. This... doesn't have anything to do with the Yankees, does it? I think they're a swell franchise.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:36 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
If you want gayness and alternative lifestyles; San Francisco

If you want to live in Mexico, without having to leave the U.S.; Los Angeles

If you want to live in a normal place; neither one
normal=hell

You all can keep normal.

I'll take fruits and nuts with a sprinkling of weird anyday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City