Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Los Angeles vs. San Francisco
Los Angeles 132 38.26%
San Francisco 213 61.74%
Voters: 345. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 11:25 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,607,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
It's like God farted on LA

Tourism is a big industry in both San Francisco & Los Angeles [really the entire state, to be honest

San Francisco is the "gem" & no other city in California can compare. LA is more a working town dependent on movie/tv industry [union strikes really hurt the local economy].

I once thought of moving to San Francisco & went to school in the Bay Area. But I prefer the garden & more space living in Los Angeles.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:48 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Actually you can ignore the smog by staying near the coast. And I'm sure the Central Valley is very thankful for the Bay Area blowing all their smog to them. LA is a victim of it's climate and geography when it comes to smog while SF greatly benefits from theirs in that respect.

You showed specific tourist attractions, which doesn't mean more tourists visit SF. LA is much larger and has more attractions and places to visit overall, and they are more spread out.

Also on that Top 50 list LA, including Disneyland, had THREE attractions (D-land, Universal Studio, and Grauman's Chinese Theater in Hollywood). San Francisco only had ONE attraction on that list.
Um,
How come San Francisco always ranks at or near the top of all travel surveys when it comes to "best cities" while LA is often not even in the Top 10 or 20 for that matter?

People visit LA but they dont fall in love with it the way they do SF.

And that's okay, LA has its own strengths.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:19 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Um,
How come San Francisco always ranks at or near the top of all travel surveys when it comes to "best cities" while LA is often not even in the Top 10 or 20 for that matter?

People visit LA but they dont fall in love with it the way they do SF.

And that's okay, LA has its own strengths.
Did I say anything about people falling in love with LA more than SF? Or that LA is better or superior to SF?

All I did was throw out some hard numbers out there than LA receives more visitors and tourists than SF, that's all. I think SF is a great city overall but their inferiority complex to LA gets old and annoying after a while. People there just can't seem to enjoy what they have but have to try to put down LA for god knows what reason.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:51 PM

302 posts, read 933,317 times
Quote:
Did I say anything about people falling in love with LA more than SF? Or that LA is better or superior to SF?

All I did was throw out some hard numbers out there than LA receives more visitors and tourists than SF, that's all. I think SF is a great city overall but their inferiority complex to LA gets old and annoying after a while. People there just can't seem to enjoy what they have but have to try to put down LA for god knows what reason.
I may have an inferiority complex to say Vienna, Berlin, Paris, London, Moscow, Rome, Prague, Budapest...I could go on and on naming European cities, but I don't have envy towards LA, and I don't think any San Franciscan does. If I preferred LA to SF, I'd be living in LA.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:31 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gellio_sf View Post
I may have an inferiority complex to say Vienna, Berlin, Paris, London, Moscow, Rome, Prague, Budapest...I could go on and on naming European cities, but I don't have envy towards LA, and I don't think any San Franciscan does. If I preferred LA to SF, I'd be living in LA.
yet San Franciscans and many Northern Californians seem obsessed with hating on LA for no good reason and Angeleno's either like SF or just don't think about it much.

You're not a native so maybe you don't quite see it or understand it, but being born and raised in the Bay Area and currently living in Southern Ca I see it all the time. Not just on here but in person from my own family and friends.

Old 06-18-2008, 06:03 PM

705 posts, read 3,297,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gellio_sf View Post
I think nobody living in the U.S. really has any envy towards any American city. I live in L.A. and I certainly dont have any envy towards NYC, Chicago or SF. All those cities in Europe bring completely different lifestyles, cultures and people...and likewise, Europeans are fascinated by American cities...just look at the hiuge amounts of Spaniards, British and Russians living in L.A. As far as L.A. vs. SF? I choose L.A....because of the weather, the immense city, the beach, and all that comes with them.

Old 06-18-2008, 06:14 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,843,104 times
LA has smog, SF has smug... ya just can't win...

Old 06-18-2008, 08:44 PM

323 posts, read 1,425,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LASam View Post
LA has smog, SF has smug... ya just can't win...
Already settled that mate smog cannot be ignored (unless you move) but smug, you can just ignore

Old 06-18-2008, 09:03 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:

put down LA?

Perhaps people have opinions, isnt that allowed? And by the looks of this poll, people tend to have a more favorable opinion of SF. Doesnt take anything from LA, just a fact.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,696 times
How about neither? Given the choice I would live in San Diego, but since the thread is LA vs SF I picked SF due to less social problems overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City