Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Los Angeles 31 36.47%
Chicago 54 63.53%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 02:46 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times

Advertisements

Chicago might be losing population slightly, but many are moving in, but at a slower pace because its getting quite expensive. There is a urban renewal in Chicago that has been going on for the last 10 years or so. Gentrification is driving up costs in Chicago and most people (blacks included) are fleeing to the booming burbs for cheaper housing. It doesnt take much to figure that out. Er, at least I thought it didnt.

Old 09-24-2007, 02:50 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,024,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Chicago might be losing population slightly, but many are moving in, but at a slower pace because its getting quite expensive. There is a urban renewal in Chicago that has been going on for the last 10 years or so. Gentrification is driving up costs in Chicago and most people (blacks included) are fleeing to the booming burbs for cheaper housing. It doesnt take much to figure that out. Er, at least I thought it didnt.
Those numbers don't reflect renewal, gentrification or a boom. If so, the opposite should be happening. Like in LA.

Old 09-24-2007, 03:57 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,742,172 times
The question you should ask is- why did fDi (Foreign Direct Investment group) not select LA as the city of the future?

Well, I guess because it's not the city of the future.

fDi North American cities of the future.

Over 2 million

Major cities

Chicago, Illinois
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Atlanta, Georgia
Baltimore, Maryland
Boston, Massachusetts
Miami, Florida
New York City, New York
Dallas, Texas
Seattle, Washington

500,000-2 million

El Paso, Texas
Columbus, Ohio
Charlotte, North Carolina
Austin, Texas
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Toledo, Ohio
Richmond, Virginia
Orlando, Florida
Charleston, South Carolina
Phoenix, Arizona
Las Vegas, Nevada
Nashville, Tennessee

Financial Times group - fDi magazine - Foreign Direct Investment - Awards

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
Those numbers don't reflect renewal, gentrification or a boom. If so, the opposite should be happening. Like in LA.

Old 09-24-2007, 11:44 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
The question you should ask is- why did fDi (Foreign Direct Investment group) not select LA as the city of the future?
Maybe because it's the city of the past? The 60's and 70's are long over. I wish I was able to see L.A. before it was overpriced and overcrowded (and to see Sharpstown in Houston in that same period--plus the 80's--before it declined.)

Old 09-24-2007, 11:49 PM

705 posts, read 3,297,815 times
Quote:
Good to see that you have toned down your language after someone already pointed out some of your erroneous statements.

Regarding the stats on the Wiki page, I guess you should pay a bit attention at the info posted there. It says "The United States Bureau of the Census defines 280 metropolitan statistical areas". It compares Chicago CMSA (Combined Metropolitan Statistical areas) and Los Angeles CMSA.

MSA (Metropolitan Statistical areas)

Los Angeles: $55,516.
Chicago: $57,008.

CMSA (Combined Metro Statistical areas)

Los Angeles: $45,903 (#43)
Chicago: $51,046 (#11)

Highest-income metropolitan statistical areas in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
erroneous? toned down my language?
don't you mean toned down my writing? I mean there's no way to tone down a language or even writing. Maybe there's a reason why I posted such a comment because of someone else's stupid comment before mine. Go back and check why I posted that comment.

Yes, I can see that it shows the median income for combined metro statistical areas. This includes metropolitan and micropolitan areas that aren't even part of Los Angeles county or Cook county. What we care about are the stats of metropolitan Los Angeles and Chicago or even more important the stats for Los Angeles county and Cook county, so that makes the Wiki page pretty irrelevant for this argument in my opinion. The median income for metro statistical area Los Angeles and Chicago in 2006 is:

Now, let's look at counties which includes everything not just the city and its neighboring city's of influence or in other words the metro area.

The median household income for Los Angeles county in 2006: $51,315
The median household income for Cook county in 2006: $50,691

The median family income for Los Angeles county in 2006: $56,930
The median family income for Cook county in 2006: $60,387

Los Angeles County, California - Selected Economic Characteristics: 2006

Cook County, Illinois - Selected Economic Characteristics: 2006

Median family income is higher for Cook county than Los Angeles county but the data for median household income's includes everyone's pre-tax money receipt, of residents age 15 and over, not just those of families.

So what does the data imply? that Los Angeles is a great city for singles not families? maybe so but I don't think so. Although according to Forbes Los Angeles is the 3rd best city for singles but that decision is really up to those who are single.
Best Cities For Singles - Yahoo! Real Estate (http://promo.realestate.yahoo.com/best_cities_for_singles.html - broken link)

Old 09-25-2007, 12:48 AM

234 posts, read 1,157,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurekRZA View Post
don't you mean toned down my writing? I mean there's no way to tone down a language or even writing. Maybe there's a reason why I posted such a comment because of someone else's stupid comment before mine. Go back and check why I posted that comment.

Yes, I can see that it shows the median income for combined metro statistical areas. This includes metropolitan and micropolitan areas that aren't even part of Los Angeles county or Cook county. What we care about are the stats of metropolitan Los Angeles and Chicago or even more important the stats for Los Angeles county and Cook county, so that makes the Wiki page pretty irrelevant for this argument in my opinion. The median income for metro statistical area Los Angeles and Chicago in 2006 is:

Now, let's look at counties which includes everything not just the city and its neighboring city's of influence or in other words the metro area.

Median family income is higher for Cook county than Los Angeles county but the data for median household income's includes everyone's pre-tax money receipt, of residents age 15 and over, not just those of families.

So what does the data imply? that Los Angeles is a great city for singles not families? maybe so but I don't think so. Although according to Forbes Los Angeles is the 3rd best city for singles but that decision is really up to those who are single.
Best Cities For Singles - Yahoo! Real Estate (http://promo.realestate.yahoo.com/best_cities_for_singles.html - broken link)

lol dont u find it funny how they give a little detail about certain cities, but
when they mention chicago they just said fifth.. ney york got the city that never sleeps and Los angeles got the entertainment mecca, but what can be said about chicago?. what is there to see in chicago? lol nobody cares

chicago=

The winner: San Francisco, up from fourth place. It ranked first for culture and received high marks for number of singles, nightlife, online dating and cool. The "city that never sleeps," New York (broken link), came in a strong second place, thanks to its performance as the country's No. 1 spot for nightlife. Entertainment mecca Los Angeles came in third; Atlanta fourth, and Chicago fifth. Rounding out the top ten are Washington, San Diego, Seattle, Fort-Worth and Philadelphia.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:28 AM

Chicago= city of the future. Didn't you read the post above?

I hope once you are done with school, you will help to make LA a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by donjuan View Post
chicago=

Old 09-25-2007, 08:32 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Chicago= city of the future. Didn't you read the post above?

I hope once you are done with school, you will help to make LA a better place
And dont forget: Chicago= Grrrrrrr.

Old 09-25-2007, 02:43 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,498,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donjuan View Post
lol dont u find it funny how they give a little detail about certain cities, but
when they mention chicago they just said fifth.. ney york got the city that never sleeps and Los angeles got the entertainment mecca, but what can be said about chicago?. what is there to see in chicago? lol nobody cares

chicago=

The winner: San Francisco, up from fourth place. It ranked first for culture and received high marks for number of singles, nightlife, online dating and cool. The "city that never sleeps," New York (broken link), came in a strong second place, thanks to its performance as the country's No. 1 spot for nightlife. Entertainment mecca Los Angeles came in third; Atlanta fourth, and Chicago fifth. Rounding out the top ten are Washington, San Diego, Seattle, Fort-Worth and Philadelphia.
Oh, Lord, this is too funny. Atlanta above Chicago?! San Francisco above New York?! Thanks for the good laugh as always, Don.

Old 09-25-2007, 02:44 PM

Yes, I did read long_time_seattleite's post and I agreed with him

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurekRZA View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City