Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is overall better?
Montreal, QC 180 59.60%
San Francisco, CA 122 40.40%
Voters: 302. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 02:35 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancaisDeutsch View Post
You misread me. I said that you don't have snowy days with sunshine like we have in the Northeast. Some people like that weather. Yes, winter time is bleaker in SF than in the summer and autumn.
Yes, but its not bleaker than Montreal and that's really what you implied by bringing up sunny snow days in the Northeast AS IF. Its going to be 70 tomorrow in SF, btw.

Quote:
Look at the women in SF compared to Montreal. I'm not real keen on half-shaven "basketball player" women who, during evening hours, wear Birkenstocks out to dinner. Must I go any further?
Hahaha...ironic that you would talk about 'half shaven' anything considering the reputation french women have for not shaving their pits and body odor....must I go on any further?

Also, its not really 'chic' to generalize based on stereotypes. Birkenstocks? Really? Hahahaha

Old 02-13-2013, 04:26 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,490,401 times
Climate: San Francisco, less extreme.
Quality of life: San Francisco, like the weather.
Crime: Montreal is safer.
Stores/Shopping: Montreal, underground mall seems cool.
School/College: San Francisco.
Entertainment/Things to do: San Francisco.
Diversity: San Francisco.
Economy: No clue about Montreal, i know SF has some big name companies.
Culture: Montreal, Seems unique.
Food: San Francisco, like Asian and Mexican food.
History: Not sure, both seem pretty historic.
Overall beauty: San Francisco.

Where would you rather live? Neither.
Where would you rather visit as first timer? San Francisco.

Love Montreal though; my favorite Canadian city, problem is it has the kind of weather that i am trying to escape. also love San Francisco but i wouldnt buy property on an active fault line.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:12 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
Location: San Francisco related to climate and a more beautiful part of the continent
Climate: San Francisco this to me is a no brainer
Quality of life: For most people avg people Montreal
Crime: Montreal
Stores/Shopping: Montreal (if you don't think so go to Montreal)
School/College: Montreal Public, College San Fran so a tie
Entertainment/Things to do: Montreal (If you don't think so go to Montreal lol)
Diversity: Both Diverse but i'd give nod to San Fran
Economy: Both Strong but San Fran is hard to beat in this criteria.
Culture: Montreal (More unique in the North American context)
Food: Tie both are amazing
History: Montreal - the top city in Canada for most of its history
Overall beauty: San Fran but Montreal is nice

Overall my vote goes to the Sexy city of Montreal - a cultural powerhouse and just more unique and fun to me.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:20 PM

I get that the Michelin ratings would be a factor in a choice but it can't be the only deciding factor. There are probably hundreds of thousands of restaurants that aren't Michelin but that an everyday person would enjoy more, are more authentic and easier on the wallet. I respect the S.F choice you made and in no way attacking it but I do think Michelin is way overated..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relegate View Post
Sorry, but San Francisco wins the food category easily here. It is one of 3 cities in the country (the others being Chicago and NYC) that recieves Michelin stars, and you can find an incredible range of amazing food in San Francisco -from the best fine dining to a mind-boggling array of hole in the walls of all varieties. SF is considered one of the great culinary destinations in North America. Montreal is great, but it's not on that level.

As far as nightlife, though, Montreal wins handily - SF has great nightlife, especially by US standards, but Montreal is one of the best cities for nightlife on the planet.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:23 PM

I agree that the Bay area is quite a bit larger than Montreal but the core cities and in particular the dt cores aren't too disimilar. Both have impressive cores and are dense - though S.F is a more dense place in pretty much all measurements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
San Francisco is quite a bit larger than Montreal and has much better weather. However, the Francophone quality of Montreal makes it more interesting and "special" for me from a cultural standpoint.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:45 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
Seriously, how is Montreal winning this poll by so much? SF wins more than half that criteria!

Old 02-13-2013, 10:21 PM

214 posts, read 410,146 times
@metz, I said that earlier. I went to Montreal on Labor Day weekend and briefly started looking on Craig's list for a crib. Which took time away from routinely looking for a crib in SF. Great world class cities that it comes down to a person's preference on weather. All things considered, I hope I make it to a point in life where I have a minimum a time share in each ... With hopes of a condo in both.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:33 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yes, but its not bleaker than Montreal and that's really what you implied by bringing up sunny snow days in the Northeast AS IF. Its going to be 70 tomorrow in SF, btw.

Hahaha...ironic that you would talk about 'half shaven' anything considering the reputation french women have for not shaving their pits and body odor....must I go on any further?

Also, its not really 'chic' to generalize based on stereotypes. Birkenstocks? Really? Hahahaha
Weather thing is ridiculous, especially since the chilly summer fog really only holds for when you're close to the pacific coast--whereas the miserable cold holds for all parts of Montreal except for the interior city.

They're french canadian, it's different from french. People definitely dress better and are more attractive in Montreal than in SF and by a pretty wide margin, but that's pretty much true for Montreal against any US city.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:20 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
People definitely dress better and are more attractive in Montreal than in SF and by a pretty wide margin.
What folly. This is almost trollish. LOL

Old 02-14-2013, 08:27 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
What folly. This is almost trollish. LOL
Sure, you can claim that I'm trolling, but I'm pretty sure you'll get a lot of people who've been to both places who will back me on this. The first thing most people notice when they go to Montreal from the states is how well put together everyone seems to be. Have you been to Montreal before?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City