Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I prefer the natural scenery in:
Texas 24 20.00%
Northeastern U.S. 96 80.00%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 11:00 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,310,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Regarding this lake discussion, I been trying to find out how many lakes there are in Texas. One source said 150, another 250 and the most I saw was 6,000. Only one major natural lake btw, Caddo lake.

Assuming the top figure of 6,000 lakes and ponds for Texas, that sounds like a lot right? Except New York State alone has over 7,600. Since Texas is more then 5 times larger then New York, that even if Texas had 5 times the amount of lakes, 30,000, she would still be behind New York proportionally! Lakes and Rivers - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

That is just how many lakes are in the Northeast and similar areas like the Upper Midwest. And if you really want to be blown away about lakes, take a look at a map of Ontario, especially northern Ontario.
Pretty much all low-latitude areas lack in lakes compared to far northerly latitudes: no glaciers to carve the land. Even the Southern Hemisphere high latitudes lack lakes, as there is too little landmass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 04:04 AM

14,042 posts, read 15,076,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
The Great Salt Lake has tributaries that help maintain the water, or it would have completely dried up. But overall, it shows that even desert areas can maintain lakes under the right circumstances, meaning that dryness in areas of Texas shouldn't be an impediment (provided that the geography was ideal).
I am not saying Great Salt lake doesn't have tributaries I'm saying it doesn't have an outlet. All the water than Falls in the Great Basin ends up in Great Salt lake until it evaporates. Almost all other lares in the Country has outflow that ends up in the Oceans. Since Great Salt lake is the terminus of its watershed it takes far less precip to maintain lake levels than any other lake in the US.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I am not saying Great Salt lake doesn't have tributaries I'm saying it doesn't have an outlet. All the water than Falls in the Great Basin ends up in Great Salt lake until it evaporates. Almost all other lares in the Country has outflow that ends up in the Oceans. Since Great Salt lake is the terminus of its watershed it takes far less precip to maintain lake levels than any other lake in the US.
Taking into consideration the region's desert climate (which means that precip exceeds evaporation), whatever water that flows into the lake has to be high enough to maintain constant water levels, or else it implies a period where the lake completely dries out. It also suggests a much shallower lake than other lakes in the country.

But still, my overall point in mentioning Great Salt Lake is to show that even deserts maintain lakes, given a special set-up. So the dryness that occurs in Texas (much of which is never to desert levels) shouldn't necessarily be an impediment to lakes.

Old 09-19-2017, 10:44 AM

1,207 posts, read 1,285,467 times
I'd vote for the Northeast, but Texas is being heavily underrated here. It's a lot closer than the poll shows.

Old 09-19-2017, 11:40 AM

20 posts, read 15,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by takuriver View Post
Outside of the Big Bend area, there's nothing extraordinary about Texas scenery. Northeast by a long way.
Not a fan of Guadalupe Mountains National Park?

Old 09-20-2017, 06:16 AM

1,624 posts, read 2,042,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
I'd vote for the Northeast, but Texas is being heavily underrated here. It's a lot closer than the poll shows.
I've learned a long time ago there is a strong bias against Texas without facts on this site. Is it jealousy or ignorance?

Old 09-20-2017, 07:28 AM

14,042 posts, read 15,076,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
Polls don't necessarily measure the actual gap it could just be a low STD Dev. Meaning everyone believes the NE is better than Texas but not a huge gap. It's discrete Data not continuous.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:38 AM

7,529 posts, read 10,280,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
I've learned a long time ago there is a strong bias against Texas without facts on this site. Is it jealousy or ignorance?
I lived there 26 years. It’s experience.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:17 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,276,425 times
I think per average square mile the NE is prettier and by that I mean hillier and greener, but Texas has alot more variety. Some parts are swamps, some southern piney woods, you have (alot) prairie, better beaches than the North East and taller mountains than anywhere back east. On average alot of Texas is pretty boring, but it has some highlights that are pretty impressive.

Old 09-23-2017, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
Notice that people people just name general regions/cities for Texas, whereas for the Northeast, they go beyond to name every nook and cranny; this gives the illusion of Texas has less spots of nature than the NE, when it actuality may have just as much, if not more.

In all, it reflects simply that the NE takes better pride in access to nature than Texas; the region's cities made sure that dense populations can have good reach to great areas of pristine wilderness. There are plenty of interesting natural environments nearby ALL of Texas's major cities, but at this time, quite a bit of them are known only to the scientists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City