Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2007, 03:19 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,757,860 times

Advertisements

What a refreshing and intellectually honest post. I love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
In the NE I have dozens as each month presents a different weather scenario.
Yes it can be a challenge to dress even day to day.

Quote:
In the NE you'll find an entire row in the grocery store devoted to spaghetti sauce. Don't ask me why. I didn't find that out west.
Really? That's truly unfathomable, and I'm not being sarcastic.

Quote:
However, the thick Sicilian pizza I prefer was cracker thichness in California.
Based on my travels to Italy and Sicily, Sicilian pizza is round, and Italian pizza (other than Napoliani) is square.

However, plenty of Brooklyn fare is thin crusted pizza.

[quote]The first east coast health food stores didn't have carob bars like they did in the many out west but chocolate bars with nuts and fruit. I still don't see them here.[/quotes]

It's hard to find health bars that don't have chocolate in them. However, I was eating granola without refined sugar, and carob as well, when I was about 5. (1975) My parents just went to a health food store in the East Village of Manhattan. I hate chocolate in my granola bars. It kinda defeats the whole point of it.

Quote:
People there 'worked to live' whereas in the east they 'live to work'.
Ain't that the stinkin truth!

Quote:
This is a big problem in NYS where the residents are nearly polar opposites.
Again, that's the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 07:15 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Each to their own:

I will never live E of the Rocky Mountains (Wash DC native here); but, some folks like NYC, etc and I can respect that

Old 10-02-2007, 11:28 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,451,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Each to their own:

I will never live E of the Rocky Mountains (Wash DC native here); but, some folks like NYC, etc and I can respect that
I will never live W of the foothills of the Rockies. So we're even.

Old 10-03-2007, 12:25 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,207,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
It's extremely relevant. If a city has all the amenities to make your face turn blue, but the culture (the vibe) sucks [according to each his own], then the amenities are immaterial.
L. A. basher, indirect. Passive/aggressive. You are right about the 'amenities', but you illustrate my original position. By stating "to each his own" you are being subjective. The 'vibe' sucks to you, and the positive aspects of living in Los Angeles still remain, and are very material! Just ask, again, the hundreds of thousands of transplants from your area. You'll hear that so-called special belly laugh all over L. A., Roseba, improving our diversity every day!

Old 10-03-2007, 07:38 AM

345 posts, read 976,816 times
Quote:
What? Highway, Parkways and Interstate, or just plain road is the lingua franca here in the NE.
New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, and all the major cities in Florida--the named superhighways are generally either "expressways" or "parkways" (with maybe a "thruway" or something else thrown in here or there).

The only cities on the East Coast which has superhighways predominantly named "freeways" are Washington, D.C. and a couple of cities in North Carolina.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteU View Post
New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, and all the major cities in Florida--the named superhighways are generally either "expressways" or "parkways" (with maybe a "thruway" or something else thrown in here or there).

The only cities on the East Coast which has superhighways predominantly named "freeways" are Washington, D.C. and a couple of cities in North Carolina.
Huh?

I told you what people say when they are in conversation. I have NEVER head anyone call a highway, a freeway.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Huh?

I told you what people say when they are in conversation. I have NEVER head anyone call a highway, a freeway.
I've lived on the East Coast all my life.

I do on rare occassions hear a superhighway being referred to as a "freeway" but not often at all. Typically its done by non-natives who come from areas where the superhighways are all called freeways.

A lot more common I've heard "expressway". A lot of times it is just a "highway", but not all highways are limited access superhighways, so I'm thinking more specifically as to those types of superhighways (with the exit ramps, overpasses and no stop lights). Time to time I'll hear "interstate". Perhaps most often, if its in reference to a specific road, the person will refer to it by its specific name. For example, here in South Florida, the Palmetto Expressway is called "The Palmetto", the Sawgrass Expressway is called "The Sawgrass", and so forth and so on.

I think it really is all contingent on the area you are from and what the superhighways are called. In California, the superhighways are all called freeways, so people will talk about "taking the freeway." However, here in Florida the superhighways are called expressways, so it's "taking the expressway", or if you are referring to I-95, "taking the interstate."

Old 10-03-2007, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteU View Post
I've lived on the East Coast all my life.
Me too. So I think that my bonafides neutralize your bonafides. Next....

Quote:
I do on rare occassions hear a superhighway being referred to as a "freeway" but not often at all. Typically its done by non-natives who come from areas where the superhighways are all called freeways.
I have never heard EITHER term be used in the NE corridor.

Quote:
A lot more common I've heard "expressway". A lot of times it is just a "highway", but not all highways are limited access superhighways, so I'm thinking more specifically as to those types of superhighways (with the exit ramps, overpasses and no stop lights).
A road with stop lights is not a highway, freeway or any other fast moving road. It's simply a road, or possibly a "secondary highway" or a "service road". (Like the Horace Harding Expressway which is really, a road ajacent to the Long Island Expressway.)

Quote:
Time to time I'll hear "interstate".
Only when referring to a specific road that is designated as an Interstate. Never as a generic term.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:36 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,451,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
I greatly miss the progressiveness of the west coast. Then again some of it can get out of hand. It can be years before things move to the east. Eastcoasters are much more serious. The closest we have east is New England. I didn't find many conservatives out west except the retired naval personnel in San Diego.
From Wikipedia:
History of the west coast of North America
Quote:
Post-war period (1945-present)

During this period, the west coast became the bastion of conservatism with the population favouring low taxes and small government. In the United States, this manifested itself in support for the Republican Party. Especially for the two Republican presidents Richard Nixon and Ronald Reagan. In British Columbia, the right wing Social Credit Party governed for over thirty years.
Another reason for this liberal to dislike California and the West Coast. They brought the two worst Presidents in the 20th Century: the Crook and the Traitor.

Is California really that liberal? Shouldn't it have abolished Capital Punishment like Wisconsin, West Virginia, and Massachusetts. It will be a sad day when Texas abolishes executions before California ever does.

The actions of Boxer, Feinstein, and Pelosi tarnish the supposed Liberal reputation of San Francisco. Has San Francisco become more conservative?

Last edited by KerrTown; 10-03-2007 at 08:54 PM..

Old 10-03-2007, 08:44 PM

Quote:

I have never heard EITHER term be used in the NE corridor.

A road with stop lights is not a highway, freeway or any other fast moving road. It's simply a road, or possibly a "secondary highway" or a "service road". (Like the Horace Harding Expressway which is really, a road ajacent to the Long Island Expressway.)

Only when referring to a specific road that is designated as an Interstate. Never as a generic term.
"Expressway" is commonly used by many in East Coast cities, from all my experience. "Freeway" isn't, but that's just because not many cities on the East Coast officially call their superhighways freeways.

I have heard "interstate" used a lot as a generic term in Florida and I believe in other southern states. Perhaps it isn't used commonly in the North East, however.

As for "highway", a road that is a highway simply is a major road that connects at least two cities (In other words, a road that is not contained within one city, which would be a street). It can have two lanes, four lanes, eight lanes, ect. It can have stop lights, or it can have limited access interchanges with on and off ramps and overpasses. In other words, a "highway" is a pretty broad concept.

Typically a "superhighway", which is an expressway/freeway, will have limited access with on ramps and overpasses. However, superhighway generally isn't used as a generic term but rather as something of an adjective.

Interestingly enough--and I just recently found this out--in California where the superhighways are all called "freeways", they do call certain roads expressways, except apparently in California an "expressway" is simply a divided four lane highway which can have stop lights. I've never heard the term used in that context before, but apparently that's how things are done over there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City