Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2008, 10:46 AM

2,114 posts, read 4,916,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Haha!! We don't have to "deal" with 70 degrees in January! Most people who live here do so BECAUSE it's 70 degrees in January. If anyone wants snow, they just have to travel a short distance to find snow in the winter. However, if you're in Boston you have to travel all the way to Florida if you want tolerable winter weather. There is no variability in climate really in most cities on the East Coast. If there's bad weather in DC, it's likely a crapfest in Boston, as well.

No thanks.
and 110 in July. You are from Phoenix, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 10:47 AM

2,114 posts, read 4,916,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Well, if you want to apply such a gross generalization, then the East and South Coast are lame, too.
I was kidding. I would never say "hella" in a serious sentence.

5,800 people is not a city no matter what they may technically call it.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:35 PM

343 posts, read 1,384,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post

You go 30 miles west of Mount Ranier/Tahoe for instance and its completely uninhabitable.If you put a blindfold on someone and transported them to central wash/oregon and asked them if they are in Wash/Org.or if they were on Uranus they would have to think long and hard about the answer. Whereas the east goes 300-400 miles deep of incredible uninterrupted valleys/woodlands,mountains from the coast until the midwest.

No offense bro but are you smoking crack? You do realize Mount Rainier National Park is 377.78 square miles (241,782 acres) in size and is thus, approximately, one-third as large as the State of Rhode Island.

And there is no where on the east coast that is 300-400 miles of uninterrupted woodlands and mountains!!

Don't get me wrong the east coast has some beauty, but comparing it to the vast sizes of the parks out west is simply ignorant of geology. The states back east are significantly smaller then the states out west.

I don't claim to speak for all geologist! But I studied geology as an undergrad, and I can guarantee if you asked any geology student would you rather spend a summer in Alaska/Washington/Oregon/Idaho/California or a summer in NEw York/Carolinas, the west coast would win every time!!!!

Olmypic national park west of seattle is nearly 876,000 acres!!

Both coasts have their charms depending on what you like. But if you like to ski, and do outdoorsy things the west coast wins hands down. Both Portland Oregon, Seattle, washington and Vancouver B.C. have skiing within an hour drive of the city. Not to mention you can ski well into Spring. I can't think of a major east coast city that offers that kind of easy access.

The cascade mountain range averages over 500 inches of snow a year. Which is far above any mountain range out east. Behind the Cascades are the rockies, south of the cascades are the Sierra Nevada range. It does not sound like you know what you are talking about. Most of the western 1/3 of the United States is covered in mountain ranges and hundreds if not thousands of miles of uninhabited land.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:05 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXclimberX View Post
And there is no where on the east coast that is 300-400 miles of uninterrupted woodlands and mountains!!

Olmypic national park west of seattle is nearly 876,000 acres!!
Look up "North Maine Woods". You're wrong about no where on the East Coast being 300 or 400 square miles of wilderness. Since 1985 the "North Maine Woods" have ADDED 1,000,000 acres that are under their watch. (1 million acres is 1562.5 square miles) This is just the land that falls under the NMW, it is NOT counting wilderness areas that are outside their watch, but are adjoining. Olympic National Park is a rank amateur for size.

Sierra Magazine ran an article that put it into perspective. (Keep in mind that 700,000 acres was added in 1999, AFTER this ran.)

Quote:
Sierra; Nov 1, 1995
At over 10 million acres, the Maine woods encompasses a region some five times the size of Yellowstone National Park. Largely owned by timber companies, these woods and waters remain the biggest uninhabited region in the contiguous 48 states, with only four permanent residents.
While owned largely by private timber companies, the area is open for any outdoor activity to the public. There may be a small fee in some areas for maintenance of the roads. It is usually a very small fee. (You can get a campsite and leave a trailer for 3 months for $100.)

Last edited by Bydand; 03-20-2009 at 06:24 PM.. Reason: forgot to close one set of parentheses

Old 03-20-2009, 06:31 PM

1,423 posts, read 4,687,009 times
WestCoast!,The timing for sports are awesome,In Ny a game starts at 8 over there,And 5 pm here but when there is a Game here at 8 the east has to wait till 11.Isn't that Late.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:49 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,452,476 times
OK, a very specific preference here from when I was a smoker.

Standing on the sidewalk with a cigarette...

NYC: "How's it goin'."

San Francisco: "Hey, can I have one of those?" "Got a cigarette I can bum?" "Can I have a cigarette? Got an extra one for my friend?" "Bum a smoke?" "Extra cigarette?" "Spare a smoke?" "Got another one?" "Can I have a cigarette?" Ten requests from my front door to the bus station. Even coming out of the store with an unopened pack. Can I have one of those...can I have one of those...can I have one of those... Oh, and, get this...One time I had an unlit cigarette in my hand and a guy asked for one. But it was my last one and I told him so. "Well, can I have that one?" WTF?

Old 03-20-2009, 06:59 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,682,159 times
LOL so true in SF you get hounded for cigarettes it's bad.
But for me West Coast>East Coast
I'll take Vegas Over Atlantic City
La over Nyc
Sf over Boston
Sd over anywhere in Florida
Seattle over Baltimore
Portland over Raleigh
Sacramento over Richmond
Anchorage over Portland
so on and so forth.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:02 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
fun thread

Old 03-20-2009, 07:05 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,682,159 times
Also I remember visiting Alaska when I was younger and we where on a tour in a forest and for some reason I remember the guide stating the park was as big (or bigger?) than the state of Georgia can anyone correct this or know what park it is?

Old 03-20-2009, 07:16 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,441,085 times
East Coast all the way, the East Coast is getting out of the recession faster than the west coast is!!! But Detroit is in a straight up "DEPRESSION"...Plus the West Coast has few major cities (LA, San Fran, San Diego, [I refuse to say San Jose], Orange County [It's pretty known across the nation], Portland, and Seattle), while the East Coast has (in deciding order) Boston, NYC, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington D.C., Charlotte, Atlanta, and Miami....We really have more than that but I'm trying to be fair, because could have said: Hartford, NJ (as a whole), Richmond, Raleigh, Jacksonville, and Tampa)!!! The Northeast portions of the East Coast are nearly populated as the West Coast!!! The Northeast has 54,680,626 residents, while the West Coast has 50-60 million residents!!! Plus no city in the nation has more power than D.C. or NYC!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City