Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 08:49 AM

1 posts, read 4,722 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am getting ready to leave NYC for law school--either in Phoenix or Dallas. (I would really like to avoid any conversation about the terrible choice that is law school.) I'm having trouble making a final decision. Both schools are offering me a full scholarship so the playing field is leveled in that regard. I realize that either city is going to be a big change from NYC but I'm originally from the midwest and have spent nearly 11 years in New York so I'm craving the change of lifestyle. I think NYC is a better place to miss and visit than to live in.

I know that Dallas (TX generally) is doing better economically and that Phoenix is better for outdoor activities, weekend vacations, etc. I'm over the nightlife--I really only require good restaurants and maybe a nice bar or two.

Although it's a vague request, I would appreciate any opinions on these cities because I would like to go to school in a city that I can make home and I'm trying to consider all factors.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 11:22 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,892,327 times
Restaurants and nice bars are plentiful in either place. It'll be really hot for 4 and 1/2 months in Phoenix and Dallas for maybe 2? Heat is big deal in Phoenix, you ought to really think about whether you're ready for that for so long. Plus the sunshine and lack of greenery. The desert is overwhelmingly brown, which can very beautiful, but can make some transplants especially homesick. Dallas might be kinder in that regard. Phoenix is a big city and not some backwater as some would say. The Dallas area is definitely bigger. One thing in Phoenix's favor is it's surroundings. It's in the north part of the Sonoran Desert, one the most beautiful deserts in the world, in a state full of mountainous wilderness full of forests, grassy highlands, canyons, amazing rock formations (a lot), Native, Mexican/Latino, Old West culture/history, and it's a place that's relatively new, where the city's direction and history are still being written.
All of that might be a good change of scenery from NYC. In Dallas there's prairie and white collar cowboys, which is it's own thing.
Good luck in your decision.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:43 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
It really depends on what's important to you.

In Phoenix, you have better access to outdoor activities and destinations like LA, San Diego, and Vegas.

Dallas is a much more diverse city and metro area with better resturants (ethnic food in particular) and more city ammenities.

Both have their positives and drawbacks, but both are good places to live.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:27 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,886,188 times
I would prefer Phoenix myself. Close to SoCal, more to do outside, generally more active, spring training camps would be fun if you like baseball. Texas culture kind of annoys me and while Phoenix is just as sprawly and has a similar culture, it's just different there. Tempe is decent too. I would live in Dallas or Phoenix though. I don't think either would be terrible places to live at all.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:39 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,654,429 times
I don't know much about Dallas, but a lot about Phoenix. It's very hot, of course, but it's month on end, about 4 1/2 of extreme heat. The nights cool to 88-90 so it essentially doesn't cool down for those months. People are different in the West from the East, more laid back, tolerant, open minded, but with that you also get some flakey people. Phoenix became LA'ish in the 02-04 time when a lot of Californians moved in. Traffic is intense, relatively speaking. Big city rudeness. Lots of older snowbirds, retirees. It's not that sophisticated for a big city, yet a good amount of educated people there.
You can find anything, any service or "thing" you want. Exceptional choices. And, it's open minded there, not dictatorial. You have mostly transients so people are more open. Nov-April, weather is nice, winter times really cool to 60's daytime and 40's or lower at night.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Nancy View Post
I don't know much about Dallas, but a lot about Phoenix. It's very hot, of course, but it's month on end, about 4 1/2 of extreme heat. The nights cool to 88-90 so it essentially doesn't cool down for those months. People are different in the West from the East, more laid back, tolerant, open minded, but with that you also get some flakey people. Phoenix became LA'ish in the 02-04 time when a lot of Californians moved in. Traffic is intense, relatively speaking. Big city rudeness. Lots of older snowbirds, retirees. It's not that sophisticated for a big city, yet a good amount of educated people there.
You can find anything, any service or "thing" you want. Exceptional choices. And, it's open minded there, not dictatorial. You have mostly transients so people are more open. Nov-April, weather is nice, winter times really cool to 60's daytime and 40's or lower at night.
Californians have been moving to PHX in droves for 30 years now.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:47 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,021,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
I didn't know Californians have been moving to PHX for so long. I was under the impression that it was a thing that started in the 90's, when Phx really grew. But hey, that's a good thing IMO, I usually get along well with Californians.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert_scene View Post
I didn't know Californians have been moving to PHX for so long. I was under the impression that it was a thing that started in the 90's, when Phx really grew. But hey, that's a good thing IMO, I usually get along well with Californians.
It's been going on so long, one could argue AZ and CA are culturally one in many ways.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:31 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
Quote:
It's been going on so long, one could argue AZ and CA are culturally one in many ways.
They do have some similarities, but this is a stretch. Arizona is a lot more conservative on the whole and nowhere near as multicultural. Both of those make a huge difference in culture.

I don't know that Californian expats living in a place makes it culturally similar. There are tons in Texas (I'm one of them), but Texas isn't culturally like California. There are only minor similarities in the big cities.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:08 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,654,429 times
Quote:
But, accelerated growth in the 02-04 and beyond time frame. I know because I lived there. Phoenix metro was only 1.9 million in 97-98. By 02-03, it was increasing its' population dramatically and many from Cali.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City