Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: SD or Denver?
Denver 114 40.00%
San Diego 171 60.00%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2022, 06:09 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,888,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Urbanity: Denver

Denver has a much larger downtown and denser housing options in the central area.
San Diego urban areas are much, much quieter in comparison.

Downtown: Denver

Denver has a massive downtown compared to San Diego.
Other than some fancy high-rise condo complexes, San Diego downtown has the one of the smallest downtown's for such a large city.
Denver has a massive downtown in comparison with half the population

Transportation: San Diego

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

You are as high as the city of Denver!

Denver has about 34k people living in zip codes with over 10k ppsm
San Diego has over 250k people living in zip codes with over 10k ppsm

It’s not even close! San Diego is a far denser downtown core area than Denver.
Both of these numbers are a bit out of date with each city’s downtown growing more dense and urban but at basically equal rates.

I love that San Diego’s downtown core is so compact, vibrant and dense. You can literally walk to almost all the defined, vibrant core neighborhoods surrounding downtown from it as well as across downtown.

Last edited by T. Damon; 01-01-2022 at 06:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2022, 08:21 PM

23,518 posts, read 23,995,040 times
I picked San Diego. Just enjoy the California weather and culture.

Old 01-02-2022, 12:56 AM

4,211 posts, read 3,288,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Urbanity: Denver

Denver has a much larger downtown and denser housing options in the central area.
San Diego urban areas are much, much quieter in comparison.

More Outdoorsy: San Diego by far.

San Diego has it all in the county: Deserts, Ocean, Foothills, Mountains, Rolling Hills
Denver itself might have an active downtown with people walking but the parks even the good ones like Washington Park and Sloans Lake are just a typical, average park.

Economy: Denver

Universities: San Diego by far.

Suburbs: San Diego by far.

San Diego has many excellent suburbs overall and a wide variety of microclimates, terrain, atmosphere and scenery.
Denver has alot of very rough suburbs compared to a majority of metropolitan areas, the Southern Suburbs of Denver are very nice but nothing exceptional

Climate: San Diego by far

Downtown: Denver

Denver has a massive downtown compared to San Diego.
Other than some fancy high-rise condo complexes, San Diego downtown has the one of the smallest downtown's for such a large city.
Denver has a massive downtown in comparison with half the population

Transportation: San Diego
Sources I'm seeing put Denver's downtown population at around 11,000 with San Diego at around 35,000.

My zip code would rank about 20th in San Diego population density, and there are very few places I can go within it without having to keep my head on a swivel to avoid bumping into something or someone.

In addition to San Diego crushing Denver in density (SD has 8000 ppsm ciites 15 miles from downtown), San Diego has a significantly larger GDP, so Denver loses economy as well.

Denver has a better airport, thats about it.

If Denver had but one significant metro area within a four hour radius, how fast would its national profile fall?

Conversely San Diego has had deal with being two hours from Los Angeles in trying to make a name for itself.

Old 01-02-2022, 09:17 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,694,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Sources I'm seeing put Denver's downtown population at around 11,000 with San Diego at around 35,000.

My zip code would rank about 20th in San Diego population density, and there are very few places I can go within it without having to keep my head on a swivel to avoid bumping into something or someone.

In addition to San Diego crushing Denver in density (SD has 8000 ppsm ciites 15 miles from downtown), San Diego has a significantly larger GDP, so Denver loses economy as well.

Denver has a better airport, thats about it.

If Denver had but one significant metro area within a four hour radius, how fast would its national profile fall?

Conversely San Diego has had deal with being two hours from Los Angeles in trying to make a name for itself.
SD is definitely the more densely populated city overall but that’s actually dated information. Downtown Denver has added an entirely new residential neighborhood (Union Station) since that 11k figure came out. The population was about 26k in 2019 and many units have opened since. Not even including the many adjacent residential areas that are immediate next to downtown without cutoffs like highways. I wouldn’t say SD is that far ahead in that regard.

I’d also think LA being so close would be a positive for San Diego in some ways. Denver has no choice but to pull population/visitors from far away and has to stand on its own. While San Diego gets a lot of visitors and I assume new residents from the LA area due to proximity.

Last edited by Mezter; 01-02-2022 at 10:19 AM..

Old 01-02-2022, 10:11 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,288,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
SD is definitely the more densely populated city overall but that’s actually dated information. Downtown Denver has added an entirely new residential neighborhood (Union Station) since that 11k figure came out. The population was about 26k in 2019 and many units have opened since. Not even including the many adjacent residential areas that are immediate next to downtown without cutoffs like highways. I would say SD is that far ahead in that regard.

I’d also think LA being so close would be a positive for San Diego in some ways. Denver has no choice but to pull population/visitors from far away and has to stand on its own. While San Diego gets a lot of visitors and I assume new residents from the LA area due to proximity.
Also Tijuana is right there.

Old 01-02-2022, 11:17 AM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times
Why compare downtown populations by apples-oranges boundaries without context? Unless you're specifying square miles or providing two maps, it doesn't mean anything.

I like DTSD better, and I'd guess its residential population is substantially higher than Denver's by parallel measures. Denver builds a lot of new units but so does SD. One reason I prefer SD (as a visitor) is that it has relatively little office volume, so the latest generations of infill have made it mixed-use almost everywhere.

Old 01-02-2022, 12:06 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,694,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Why compare downtown populations by apples-oranges boundaries without context? Unless you're specifying square miles or providing two maps, it doesn't mean anything.

I like DTSD better, and I'd guess its residential population is substantially higher than Denver's by parallel measures. Denver builds a lot of new units but so does SD. One reason I prefer SD (as a visitor) is that it has relatively little office volume, so the latest generations of infill have made it mixed-use almost everywhere.
I was just saying that the 11k figure is dated. The gap isn’t that large.

Old 01-02-2022, 02:18 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times
Agreed. I was referring to Losfrisco's original claim, which clearly wasn't thought about first.

Old 01-02-2022, 07:50 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,860,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

You are as high as the city of Denver!

Denver has about 34k people living in zip codes with over 10k ppsm
San Diego has over 250k people living in zip codes with over 10k ppsm

It’s not even close! San Diego is a far denser downtown core area than Denver.
Both of these numbers are a bit out of date with each city’s downtown growing more dense and urban but at basically equal rates.

I love that San Diego’s downtown core is so compact, vibrant and dense. You can literally walk to almost all the defined, vibrant core neighborhoods surrounding downtown from it as well as across downtown.
Those dense neighborhoods in San Diego like City Heights and Barrio Logan/Logan Heights are high density because they are mainly overcrowded households.

San Diego has many, many neighborhoods of 1940s and 1950s era very small single-family homes with very large household and family sizes.

Sorry, but most of the dense areas of San Diego are because of overcrowded, multi-generational households.

Sorry, but there is no Capitol Hill or Chessman Park area in San Diego with dense areas of historic apartment buildings.

I am not a big fan of Denver, but at least they have dense areas like Capitol Hill/North Captiol Hill and Chessman Park areas which are dense because they have many apartment buildings of dual-income households.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City