Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: SD or Denver?
Denver 114 40.00%
San Diego 171 60.00%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 10:15 AM

503 posts, read 803,148 times

Advertisements

Now that you've nitpicked photos for San Diego, how about showing a picture of Denver at its best? You know, with the mountains (that blow San Diegos away imo) and when the city is actually green?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 10:35 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,500,017 times
Here is my take on it:

First off I am from Colorado, born and raised in Pueblo, and have family in Denver and its like my second home town. I have season tickets to the Buell (Denver's center for the performing arts) and the Denver Broncos. So I know Denver just like a native of Denver does. Then for grad school I went to the university of San Diego and lived there for 5 years in North Park. So I know the San Diego MSA quite well.

Urbanity:

Both cities have a nice urban area with a nice gay area. One thing that Denver has done is put all its major sports venues in downtown and along with the theme park really give it a festive feel.

More Outdoorsy:

I would say this is a tie as both cities are very outdoorsy with a lot of things to do.

Things to do:

Again I think this is a tie as both cities have a lot to do.

Economy:

Denver and the state of Colorado has a much better economy then San Diego and the state of California.

Schools:

This is one area I don't know since I never had kids and never went to k-12 schools in both cities.

Universities:

Denver has some great universities with CU and CU medical, DU, Metro, and San Diego has UCSD, San Diego State, USD etc. I think this is a tie as well.

Suburbs:

This is a tie as well. Both cities have great suburbs with great tech parks.

Climate:

In my opinion Denver has the better climate as it experiences all 4 season yet its not to hot in the summer and not too cold in the winter.

I have to give this one to Denver as its in the center of the country thus its easier to get anywhere in the nation.

Transportation:

I would say a tie as both cities have a international airport and a major interstate system as well as mass transit.

Shopping:

From my experience both cities have great shopping and again its a tie.

Culture:

I think this one goes to Denver as the Buell center is the second largest in the world and Denver gets all of the major Broadway shows and the museums are world class.

My pick:

Personally I like Denver over San Diego and think its a much more interesting city with better cultural events and restaurants. However in all honesty it really its a close call and I could see why someone would like San Diego especially if they do not like snow and like the beach.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:51 PM

704 posts, read 1,795,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
Denver is in fact a destination city, it's where some people from Chicago end up moving after they endure another grey,firgid,crappy winter. I wasn't aware that Denver is America's fourth fastest growing city; must be hype... Yes, no one passes through Denver on their way to generic resorts like Aspen and Vail where real estate prices make the Magnificent Mile look laughable by comparison. I never reallized that KC had mountain streams and forest in their Western suburbs, thanks for that incredibly informative post.
Denver is not a destination city. Its a place people fly to in order to ski. The reason it's growing is the fact that it's an immensely liveable city with relatively low taxes, decent schools, and beautiful mountains. The city itself is unimportant except for the major business and commerce and major transportation hub all located within the metro area.

The shopping and culture are, in other words, a very marginal part of what makes Denver Denver.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:02 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,500,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
Denver is not a destination city. Its a place people fly to in order to ski. The reason it's growing is the fact that it's an immensely liveable city with relatively low taxes, decent schools, and beautiful mountains. The city itself is unimportant except for the major business and commerce and major transportation hub all located within the metro area.

The shopping and culture are, in other words, a very marginal part of what makes Denver Denver.
Not true.

Denver is the shopping and culture center for the rocky mountain region and beyond. Just to give you a idea look at the shopping it has compared to other cities in the surrounding states and with culture its no contest as the Denver Performing Arts Complex is the second largest in the world.

Look at this from wiki:

The Denver Performing Arts Complex (sometimes referred to locally as "The Plex," "The DCPA" or simply, "Denver Center") located in Denver, Colorado, is the second largest performing arts center in the world after New York City's Lincoln Center. The DPAC is a four-block, 12-acre site containing ten performance spaces with over 10,000 seats connected by an 80 ft tall glass roof.

The link: Denver Performing Arts Complex - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Then the Denver Bronco radio network is among the largest if not the largest in the NFL. So yes Denver is the gate way to the rocky mountains in Colorado with all that they have to offer but it is also a destination city as it has a lot to offer that many cities just do not have.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:27 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,729,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post

Any city people travel to can be a destination city. Denver has everything to be a destination city, but it has to do a better job promoting itself. San Diego promotes itself better as a vacation spot.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:27 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,998,568 times
Match or surpass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
I find it annoying how people actually think natural scenery puts SD ahead of Denver as a city.
Well I can see why this would annoy someone back east since they have no notable topography so to speak but most western cities should be proud of their scenic assets. Living here in the west I can tell you that scenery goes a LONG WAY for many of us. I go hiking many days of the week and hit up the beach two times a month at least.
Quote:
Like really?
I believe it.
Quote:
All the SD boosters have done is brag so far.
Everyone brags. It's just human nature. When you have something to be proud of, you can brag about it.
Quote:
"Blah Blah, SD is in a higher league, and Denver is ugly".
I don't happen to think Denver is ugly but as scenery itself I think San Diego is definitely in a higher league.
Quote:
Can I get so stats or something to show SD is just Sooooo far ahead?
I'm here now. Don't worry the only thing you will get is stats and evidence as far as I'm concerned.
Quote:
In 100 years, for all you know, SD could have been devestated by an earthquake, so don't act as if you KNOW SD will be way higher up in the future (Not saying Denver will be).
I think we should live in today's moment.
Quote:
And you do realize few US cities are destination/vacation spots?
Honolulu
Hilo
LA
San Diego
Miami
Las Vegas
San Juan??
St. Croix??
Anchorage
Orlando
Aspen
Tahoe (Stateline and other towns along lake)
Quote:
-All major sports teams
San Diego has 2 but if you don't mind driving less than 2 hours north you will also get the Angels and Ducks and a little more north the Lakers, Clippers, Dodgers, and Kings. But I understand your point, Denver has more professional sports teams than San Diego and no one can take away from that but just understand this, if San Diegans want to watch basketball or hockey that drive up to LA is very close and easy.
Quote:
-One of the largest water parks in the USA
Seaworld and Legoland. Legoland opened a waterpark in 2010 and Seaworld is just an overgrown waterpark and aquarium!
Quote:
-A convinently located amusement park
Legoland and Seaworld
Quote:
-Many great museums
San Diego Maritime museum
Museum of Photographic Arts
San Diego Museum of Art
San Diego Natural History museum
San Diego museum of man
Museum of Contemporary art San Diego
San Diego aircraft carrier museum

San Diego opera
San Diego symphony
Starlight musical theater
Lyric opera of San Diego
San Diego Repertory theater
Old globe theater

La Jolla playhose has been a Tony award winning musical act
Quote:
-The Denver Zoo
San Diego zoo
San Diego zoo safari park
Seaworld
Quote:
-Take a quick trip to the mountains.
Same with San Diego and a quick trip to the beach.
Quote:
Only to name a few.
Outside of 4 pro sports teams vs 2 pro sports teams, San Diego has matched Denver in most of those categories.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:35 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,998,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
Why is Denver larger than sd?
The city of San Diego is larger. The MSA of San Diego is larger. Denver only becomes larger (just barely) when you factor CSA, which San Diego doesn't have but San Diego is apart of a greater region of 5.5M people with Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico.
Quote:
Why are there more cultural institutions in Denver than sd?
Prove it.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:40 PM

18,983 posts, read 32,735,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
In 100 years, for all you know, SD could have been devestated by an earthquake
This is a pretty dumn thing to say. First, SD isn't as prone to devastating quakes as much as SF and LA. The San Andreas fault cuts through both SF and LA's metropolitan areas while it's over a 100 miles from SD's metro. There has never been a death or any serious damage recorded from a quake in SD's history. That's not to say a big quake that would cause major damage isn't possible, it just hasn't happened in SD's recorded history and is less likely than cities to its north.

Second, cities recover and bounce back from disasters like quakes, hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, etc.. Plenty examples of that so I'm not sure why you would even bother to mention a quake somehow being a factor long term for SD.

But Denver has the ability to grow larger and become more important than SD. It has a lower cost of living, friendlier business climate, and it's a regional hub with a massive airport. SD is a bit limited in those aspects so it will likely grow much slower, which doesn't seem to bother too many people there.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
Match or surpass.

Well I can see why this would annoy someone back east since they have no notable topography so to speak but most western cities should be proud of their scenic assets. Living here in the west I can tell you that scenery goes a LONG WAY for many of us. I go hiking many days of the week and hit up the beach two times a month at least.

I believe it.

Everyone brags. It's just human nature. When you have something to be proud of, you can brag about it.

I don't happen to think Denver is ugly but as scenery itself I think San Diego is definitely in a higher league.

I'm here now. Don't worry the only thing you will get is stats and evidence as far as I'm concerned.

I think we should live in today's moment.

Honolulu
Hilo
LA
San Diego
Miami
Las Vegas
San Juan??
St. Croix??
Anchorage
Orlando
Aspen
Tahoe (Stateline and other towns along lake)

San Diego has 2 but if you don't mind driving less than 2 hours north you will also get the Angels and Ducks and a little more north the Lakers, Clippers, Dodgers, and Kings. But I understand your point, Denver has more professional sports teams than San Diego and no one can take away from that but just understand this, if San Diegans want to watch basketball or hockey that drive up to LA is very close and easy.

Seaworld and Legoland. Legoland opened a waterpark in 2010 and Seaworld is just an overgrown waterpark and aquarium!

Legoland and Seaworld

San Diego Maritime museum
Museum of Photographic Arts
San Diego Museum of Art
San Diego Natural History museum
San Diego museum of man
Museum of Contemporary art San Diego
San Diego aircraft carrier museum

San Diego opera
San Diego symphony
Starlight musical theater
Lyric opera of San Diego
San Diego Repertory theater
Old globe theater

La Jolla playhose has been a Tony award winning musical act

San Diego zoo
San Diego zoo safari park
Seaworld

Same with San Diego and a quick trip to the beach.

Outside of 4 pro sports teams vs 2 pro sports teams, San Diego has matched Denver in most of those categories.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying SD doesn't have those things I listed, I was just proving how Denver could be a destination city. I agree with your post though, and thanks for being one of the resonable posters.

Last edited by Mezter; 07-16-2012 at 03:06 PM..

Old 07-16-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
This is a pretty dumn thing to say. First, SD isn't as prone to devastating quakes as much as SF and LA. The San Andreas fault cuts through both SF and LA's metropolitan areas while it's over a 100 miles from SD's metro. There has never been a death or any serious damage recorded from a quake in SD's history. That's not to say a big quake that would cause major damage isn't possible, it just hasn't happened in SD's recorded history and is less likely than cities to its north.

Second, cities recover and bounce back from disasters like quakes, hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, etc.. Plenty examples of that so I'm not sure why you would even bother to mention a quake somehow being a factor long term for SD.

But Denver has the ability to grow larger and become more important than SD. It has a lower cost of living, friendlier business climate, and it's a regional hub with a massive airport. SD is a bit limited in those aspects so it will likely grow much slower, which doesn't seem to bother too many people there.
I was talking to the poster that said Denver would pretty much be nothing in 100 years. I wasn't saying I think a huge earthquake is going to hit. You missed my point. The point was, we don't know what will happen in the future, so why assume that Denver will be nothing and SD will be greater then it is today?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City