Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2012, 01:37 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,773,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendof302 View Post
I lived in West Palm and have taken Tamarind from city place to Riviera beach.

It's kind of "caribbean ghetto" which is not very menacing imo...

riviera beach fl - Google Maps

^There are some projects out there that are just like liberty city.

Maybe dangerous, but not like an Apocalyptic place with spooky goons.

Certainly not a scary ghetto like East Wilmington, Chester or Camden...

What's a "scary ghetto"? I don't think I've ever seen one of those before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 03:23 PM

587 posts, read 1,412,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
What's a "scary ghetto"? I don't think I've ever seen one of those before.
Posters that say stuff like that have obviously never left the East Coast. And if they have, they've never even drove through a ghetto area in California when they visited. It's the people that make the ghetto a ghetto; not necessarily run-down buildings and boarded-up homes. These posters don't believe California ghettos are "scary" because they never set foot in a California ghetto . How can you judge if a ghetto is "scary" or not by looking at a google map street view?! You can't! I'm from California but live outside of Baltimore and North Avenue is no more or less scary than Country Club Crest in Vallejo. The exact same bad things that happen in a run-down ghetto also happen in the suburban looking hood. What makes a "pretty looking" ghetto scary is the same as what makes a run-down ghetto "scary". Dozens of young dudes, who obviously have less than zero respect for the law or the rights of other people, loitering getting drunk, standing around with loaded guns in their pants outside shooting dice, openly selling hard drugs to disheveled dope addicts in the middle of the day on a weekday when everyone else is working is what makes it scary; not boarded-up rowhomes. And I already showed ignorant East Coast posters streeviews of hoods in San Francisco that have just as much plywood and blight as anywhere in Baltimore.

If the West Coast is so "tame" in comparison to the East Coast then why does every thug under 25 years old from Baltimore to Newark to the Bronx want to be called a Blood or a Crip and wants to claim Grape Street or Piru? But you can't judge a ghetto from what it looks like on google maps. Those guys roll through the block to take pictures at seven in the morning when all the thugs and block huggers are sleeping off their hangovers or have already come inside from selling dope on the corner all night. The closest West Coasters can show you what our hoods are really like during the day and night is by posting videos and articles because we can't make you buy a plane ticket, book a hotel and walk through these infamous neighborhoods in California that are just as scary and statistically dangerous as anywhere back East.

Last edited by LunaticVillage; 09-19-2012 at 03:37 PM..

Old 09-19-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticVillage View Post
Posters that say stuff like that have obviously never left the East Coast. And if they have, they've never even drove through a ghetto area in California when they visited. It's the people that make the ghetto a ghetto; not necessarily run-down buildings and boarded-up homes. These posters don't believe California ghettos are "scary" because they never set foot in a California ghetto . How can you judge if a ghetto is "scary" or not by looking at a google map street view?! You can't! I'm from California but live outside of Baltimore and North Avenue is no more or less scary than Country Club Crest in Vallejo. The exact same bad things that happen in a run-down ghetto also happen in the suburban looking hood. What makes a "pretty looking" ghetto scary is the same as what makes a run-down ghetto "scary". Dozens of young dudes, who obviously have less than zero respect for the law or the rights of other people, loitering getting drunk, standing around with loaded guns in their pants outside shooting dice, openly selling hard drugs to disheveled dope addicts in the middle of the day on a weekday when everyone else is working is what makes it scary; not boarded-up rowhomes. And I already showed ignorant East Coast posters streeviews of hoods in San Francisco that have just as much plywood and blight as anywhere in Baltimore.

If the West Coast is so "tame" in comparison to the East Coast then why does every thug under 25 years old from Baltimore to Newark to the Bronx want to be called a Blood or a Crip and wants to claim Grape Street or Piru? But you can't judge a ghetto from what it looks like on google maps. Those guys roll through the block to take pictures at seven in the morning when all the thugs and block huggers are sleeping off their hangovers or have already come inside from selling dope on the corner all night. The closest West Coasters can show you what our hoods are really like during the day and night is by posting videos and articles because we can't make you buy a plane ticket, book a hotel and walk through these infamous neighborhoods in California that are just as scary and statistically dangerous as anywhere back East.

And more to the point, I wouldn't describe any ghetto back east or anywhere in the country as "scary" anyway... some can be more depressing or deprived than others, but not scary. You can only be afraid of what's unfamiliar to you... I get the feeling a lot of people posting in this thread are unfamiliar with American ghettos outside of movies and car windows.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:54 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,046,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
And more to the point, I wouldn't describe any ghetto back east or anywhere in the country as "scary" anyway... some can be more depressing or deprived than others, but not scary. You can only be afraid of what's unfamiliar to you... I get the feeling a lot of people posting in this thread are unfamiliar with American ghettos outside of movies and car windows.
The level of crime in some of Atlanta's ghetto neighborhoods definitely make them quite a bit scarier than not. It's easy to sit in an online forum and claim that you aren't afraid of something, but let's see you walk around in an unfamiliar ghetto and not feel at least a little anxiety.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:44 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,933,812 times
Without reading all 18 pages, I believe that the key word here is "looking"...

If we are talking about appearances, then yes, Philly/Baltimore (and their subsets of Camden, Chester and Wilmington), are indeed the worst-looking..while the West Coast versions "appear" to be less so...

Old 09-19-2012, 08:26 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,422,752 times
Quote:

You sound like a fool. La ghettos are widley known through media all over the world.. Which is why bloods and crips have been successful in other cities.

But saying in 2012 that people still want to be blood and crip is most def a lie.

Those 2 gangs are played out.

You need to see what gangs run the Bronx now in 2012.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:28 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,422,752 times
Also I have video proOf of new Yorkers chilling in LA hoods. I'll post them up to show once my px starts working. To say east coasters don't go to Cali tO see what's the hoods are like is a lie.

Same vice versa their are Cali folks who come to our hoods to see how it is also. Example nipples hussle.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
The level of crime in some of Atlanta's ghetto neighborhoods definitely make them quite a bit scarier than not. It's easy to sit in an online forum and claim that you aren't afraid of something, but let's see you walk around in an unfamiliar ghetto and not feel at least a little anxiety.
Again, what's there to be afraid of? I'd feel more anxiety about walking through an unfamiliar area period.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:55 AM

711 posts, read 1,499,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Riviera Beach and Tamarind aren't as menacing in physical appearance as East Wilminton or Camden, but believe me, Riviera Beach and the Tamarind Ave area are just as dangerous. There was a homicide as recently as yesterday near Tamarind in that general vicinity, and like 6 shootings and 4 homicides in the last 2 weeks in Riviera Beach. Mind you these areas are very small in population. These aren't large neighborhoods by any stretch.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Wilmington, Chester, Camden are all top 10.

Riviera Beach is the only place in Florida to make top 25.

Last edited by Yac; 09-26-2012 at 05:48 AM..

Old 09-20-2012, 09:56 AM

711 posts, read 1,499,679 times
Quote:

If the West Coast is so "tame" in comparison to the East Coast then why does every thug under 25 years old from Baltimore to Newark to the Bronx want to be called a Blood or a Crip and wants to claim Grape Street or Piru?
They do?

I was not aware of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City