Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 10:21 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,647,655 times

Advertisements

Some Bay Area people are convinced that San Francisco is comparable to cities like New York and Paris. Even if you show objectively this is not true, they will simply ignore the evidence and continue to believe.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:45 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,094,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
This kind of stupid thread just does not add any value to the discussion. It simply attracts trolls and haters.
Shut 'er down, mods.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:42 AM

605 posts, read 1,165,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I've not noticed it. LA and NY are too different to be that comparable. LA has too much NY doesn't: like Randy Newman's song 'I love LA.' People in LA don't WANT what they got in NYC. They want year-round outdoor weather, beaches, sunshine, space...

Contrast that to Chicago. There's bad blood between Chicago and NY because they're more similar. Big cities with a lot of skyscrapers and big egos. Of course deep down they know NY is king, but ever since the skyscraper wars they've always resented this fact.
I'll come back partially from my statement. It's not so much most people, but definitely academics and some other people. No ones certainly feeling inferior because of the weather, but the often stated (and wrong IMO) arguements that basically sum up to NYC being a "better" city i.e. public transportation, urban not sprawled out, finance, walkable, etc. are often considered what a city should be. LA bucks a lot of those trends wholly or partially. So I exaggerated a little bit. You're not going to walk down the street and find some upset over New York. BUt there will be a few of them, particularly academics.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:43 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,625,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I've not noticed it. LA and NY are too different to be that comparable. LA has too much NY doesn't: like Randy Newman's song 'I love LA.' People in LA don't WANT what they got in NYC. They want year-round outdoor weather, beaches, sunshine, space...

Contrast that to Chicago. There's bad blood between Chicago and NY because they're more similar. Big cities with a lot of skyscrapers and big egos. Of course deep down they know NY is king, but ever since the skyscraper wars they've always resented this fact.
I don't see any bad blood between Chicago and New York. I think there is a healthy respect on both sides. Chicago knows NYC is the massive global American city and (I think, pretty sure), New Yorkers respect Chicago as a highly urbane/cool, little-brotherish city in the middle of America. The ties and affinity -- esp. business and cultural -- between these two cities are incredibly tight, moreso than you might imagine.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:46 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,499,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Some Bay Area people are convinced that San Francisco is comparable to cities like New York and Paris.
Actually countless travel and visitor surveys put SF up there with New York and Paris as far as cities they most like, so in that context SF is definitely comparable.

That's life, get over it.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:50 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,625,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I guess every city has an inferiority complex about another city. Chicago is NYC.

When mentioning NYC to a Chicagoan, they always bring up how dirty New York is. Its never positive.

When living in Memphis, if you say that your from a major city outside of the southeast people get defensive.

Im sure there are others.
Huge disagreement. While Chicagoans may bring up how dirty NYC is (and frankly, it's true), the next statement is how cool NYC is, and impressions of their last visit to NYC, and some general, mostly positive comparisons between the two cities. That's my experience.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:52 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,160,449 times
Why even start a thread like this?

Old 08-16-2012, 07:52 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,893,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Pittsburgh does in a big way, make a negative thread about it in their forum and watch the fur fly. Chicago, Philly and Boston do too to an extent, its all the old cities. NYC doesnt really, most of the threads on there complain about city life and anyone making fun of NYC is either agreed with or more patronized and dismissed than taunted.
Because 9 times out of 10 the negative opinion about Pittsburgh also carries some seriously outdated misconceptions from back in its Steel Bust days....

Pittsburgh is still battling hard with its sigma of a washed up decaying rust belt town..It's been shown even here on City data that, that stigma is fresh in the minds of the untraveled.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:59 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,186,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Detroit has an inferiority complex.

As for Chicago, Toronto, Minneapolis, etc., I haven't noticed an inferiority complex as much personally.
Yeah, I think Minneapolis and Chicago are reaches, simply because most of us don't care a ton whether you like us or not -- we KNOW we aren't as popular as other cities. I'm VERY surprised the OP didn't care to bring up Atlanta, Dallas, INDIANAPOLIS (possibly the worst), or Seattle (another candidate for worst, in my experience). I'm not sure I've ever said anything even slightly edgy about any of these cities without somebody chiming in on how I'm wrong or why where I live sucks!

Old 08-16-2012, 08:01 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,186,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Because 9 times out of 10 the negative opinion about Pittsburgh also carries some seriously outdated misconceptions from back in its Steel Bust days....

Pittsburgh is still battling hard with its sigma of a washed up decaying rust belt town..It's been shown even here on City data that, that stigma is fresh in the minds of the untraveled.
Just about any city in the Midwest especially, and also the Northeast, has this problem, and I agree this is why you'll see some rebuttle to outrageous claims (because those very claims and perceptions are STILL bringing some of these areas down).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City