Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 07:49 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,034,272 times

Advertisements

From what I've observed on CD, people from these cities get the most defensive when you mention anything that's not flattering about their city.

Chicago
Toronto
Houston
Philadelphia
Minneapolis-St. Paul

What others?

On the flip-side, people who seem to love their city and aren't affected by what others have to say:

New Orleans
Los Angeles
Montreal
San Diego
Miami

What others would you put on either list?

Old 08-15-2012, 08:18 PM

605 posts, read 1,165,152 times
Los Angeles is not defensive...until you mention New York. Then, the s*** hits the fan. Because everyone is always la-de-da look at New York! Oh, god...Los Angeles. Any other city they don't care an assume that you'd rather live in LA anyway no matter how much you love your city. Either that or they just don't care if you love your city because they love theirs two. I know people who would die before they left Los Angeles. But when New York comes up they have a very hot-headed inferiority complex.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:21 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,034,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitofEndearment View Post
Los Angeles is not defensive...until you mention New York. Then, the s*** hits the fan. Because everyone is always la-de-da look at New York! Oh, god...Los Angeles. Any other city they don't care an assume that you'd rather live in LA anyway no matter how much you love your city. Either that or they just don't care if you love your city because they love theirs two. I know people who would die before they left Los Angeles. But when New York comes up they have a very hot-headed inferiority complex.
I've not noticed it. LA and NY are too different to be that comparable. LA has too much NY doesn't: like Randy Newman's song 'I love LA.' People in LA don't WANT what they got in NYC. They want year-round outdoor weather, beaches, sunshine, space...

Contrast that to Chicago. There's bad blood between Chicago and NY because they're more similar. Big cities with a lot of skyscrapers and big egos. Of course deep down they know NY is king, but ever since the skyscraper wars they've always resented this fact.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:35 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,741,308 times
This kind of stupid thread just does not add any value to the discussion. It simply attracts trolls and haters.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:36 PM

1,473 posts, read 2,149,690 times
yeah this thread will not devold into chaos

Old 08-15-2012, 08:38 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,997,648 times
Historically Philly, although this is getting much much better in recent years.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:38 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,738,111 times
Detroit has an inferiority complex.

As for Chicago, Toronto, Minneapolis, etc., I haven't noticed an inferiority complex as much personally.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:44 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,937,015 times
Pittsburgh does in a big way, make a negative thread about it in their forum and watch the fur fly. Chicago, Philly and Boston do too to an extent, its all the old cities. NYC doesnt really, most of the threads on there complain about city life and anyone making fun of NYC is either agreed with or more patronized and dismissed than taunted.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:46 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,946,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitofEndearment View Post
Speaking only for myself. I have no envy at all of New York, I love the damn place. But, I DO take exception when people stereotype or put down LA based on inaccurate perceptions. LA gets that A LOT for some reason....LA is like the foreign kid that is at a new school. He's pretty smart, cool and an overall good guy but nobody likes him because he doesn't look like the "cool kids"

Old 08-15-2012, 10:11 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,962,208 times
I guess every city has an inferiority complex about another city. Chicago is NYC.

When mentioning NYC to a Chicagoan, they always bring up how dirty New York is. Its never positive.

When living in Memphis, if you say that your from a major city outside of the southeast people get defensive.

Im sure there are others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City