Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2019, 02:34 PM

741 posts, read 1,112,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Baltimore is more structurally dense than DC.
Prove it....with numbers.

Quote:
Baltimore has skyscrapers.
That doesn't prove anything.

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/2af...94cb3c181c.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2019, 02:51 PM

1,802 posts, read 1,951,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
There's no way that Bmore is more structurally dense than DC. Baltimore has no answer for DT DC.
Baltimore does, but isn't answering the calls. There is a large B-4 central business district by city zoning, with an even denser B-5 portion where the skyscrapers are mixed in. Too many parking podiums and garages that eat up street level activity, not enough retail, worse transit, underused parks/squares, and the nightlife/restaurant activity is spotty. I wouldn't call it bad per se, but it certainly needs a lot of work, especially in the old "Market Center" area where Lexington Market and the old Howard/Eutaw retail corridors once stood proudly, as well as in fringe areas like Old Town Market. It also needs to reinvest in its convention center to also draw better tenants, and that possibly includes an expansion. Mount Vernon (also in the B-4 area) could easily be the answer to the Dupont Circle area, but once again, falls a bit short even if there's some vibrant cultural amenities there. The Inner Harbor also is better connected with downtown than the Potomac/SW Waterfront is with DC. It even had a mini-skywalk system connecting Harborplace and the Gallery with Charles Center, but that unfortunately has been done away with. I'd just wish I'd hear street conversations about gentrification like I heard yesterday in the Brightwood Park neighborhood of DC (mentioning the steep decline in AA's), which resembles some of those outer rowhouse neighborhoods of Baltimore that aren't decayed, and I believe over a three-mile stretch, I saw maybe two abandoned buildings. The retail corridors in what were once shady neighborhoods (Kennedy St. NW and Georgia Ave. along and just north of Petworth) are also in better condition then comparable neighborhoods in Baltimore, where it's littered with hair braiding, bail bonds, friend chicken, and check cashing places.

Old 04-25-2019, 03:14 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Baltimore does, but isn't answering the calls. There is a large B-4 central business district by city zoning, with an even denser B-5 portion where the skyscrapers are mixed in. Too many parking podiums and garages that eat up street level activity, not enough retail, worse transit, underused parks/squares, and the nightlife/restaurant activity is spotty. I wouldn't call it bad per se, but it certainly needs a lot of work, especially in the old "Market Center" area where Lexington Market and the old Howard/Eutaw retail corridors once stood proudly, as well as in fringe areas like Old Town Market. It also needs to reinvest in its convention center to also draw better tenants, and that possibly includes an expansion. Mount Vernon (also in the B-4 area) could easily be the answer to the Dupont Circle area, but once again, falls a bit short even if there's some vibrant cultural amenities there. The Inner Harbor also is better connected with downtown than the Potomac/SW Waterfront is with DC. It even had a mini-skywalk system connecting Harborplace and the Gallery with Charles Center, but that unfortunately has been done away with. I'd just wish I'd hear street conversations about gentrification like I heard yesterday in the Brightwood Park neighborhood of DC (mentioning the steep decline in AA's), which resembles some of those outer rowhouse neighborhoods of Baltimore that aren't decayed, and I believe over a three-mile stretch, I saw maybe two abandoned buildings. The retail corridors in what were once shady neighborhoods (Kennedy St. NW and Georgia Ave. along and just north of Petworth) are also in better condition then comparable neighborhoods in Baltimore, where it's littered with hair braiding, bail bonds, friend chicken, and check cashing places.
I was wondering like hmm is this a thing in the bad parts of Baltimore since I've never been? First streetview I clicked on. Pawn shop, brads, and hair store on one side. Spin around and there's a fried chicken place and a bail bonds. At least there are 4 "markets" in sight. Also up the block on the corner of Ellamont St are another braid place, another chicken place, and another market.

Old 04-25-2019, 03:36 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,558,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Let's break down structural density for D.C., Philly, Baltimore, and Boston. The fact that you guys think these cities come anywhere near D.C. is pretty funny.

Washington D.C. 61.4 square miles:
Total Buildings: 1,479
Lowrise Buildings: 961
Highrise Buildings: 416
Skyscrapers: 0

Baltimore 80.9 square miles:
Total Buildings: 430
Lowrise Buildings: 184
Highrise Buildings: 192
Skyscrapers: 23

Philadelphia 135.1 square miles:
Total Buildings: 727
Lowrise Buildings: 225
Highrise Buildings: 375
Skyscrapers: 76

Boston 48.3 square miles:
Total Buildings: 720
Lowrise Buildings: 379
Highrise Buildings: 251
Skyscrapers: 57

U.S.A. | Buildings | EMPORIS
So I went back to the link MDAllstar posted back in 2013 and the gap has widened:

Total Buildings: 1,606
Lowrise Buildings: 1,022
Highrise Buildings (11 stories or higher): 477
Skyscrapers:0

Total Buildings:516
Lowrise Buildings: 245
Highrise Buildings (11 stories or higher): 213
Skyscrapers: 25

According to this DC has twice as many "lowrise buildings" as Baltimore has total, and ALMOST as many buildings 11 stories or taller than Baltimore has total buildings.

As close as these cities are physically I feel like comparing their built structure is very different. IMO DC is quite a lot more like Paris on the other side of the globe than it is Baltimore in terms of urban structure.

Old 04-25-2019, 03:39 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,961,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I was wondering like hmm is this a thing in the bad parts of Baltimore since I've never been? First streetview I clicked on. Pawn shop, brads, and hair store on one side. Spin around and there's a fried chicken place and a bail bonds. At least there are 4 "markets" in sight. Also up the block on the corner of Ellamont St are another braid place, another chicken place, and another market.
A pre-gentrified neighborhood. Hopefully that streetview link is a sign of better days for that neighborhood.

Old 04-25-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revitalizer View Post
Prove it....with numbers.

That doesn't prove anything.

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/2af...94cb3c181c.pdf
Pics and/or Google Street views are better.

Old 04-25-2019, 03:51 PM

741 posts, read 1,112,633 times
Quote:
Pics and/or Google Street views are better.
Structural density is answered with mathematics.

Old 04-25-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
So I went back to the link MDAllstar posted back in 2013 and the gap has widened:

Total Buildings: 1,606
Lowrise Buildings: 1,022
Highrise Buildings (11 stories or higher): 477
Skyscrapers:0

Total Buildings:516
Lowrise Buildings: 245
Highrise Buildings (11 stories or higher): 213
Skyscrapers: 25

According to this DC has twice as many "lowrise buildings" as Baltimore has total, and ALMOST as many buildings 11 stories or taller than Baltimore has total buildings.

As close as these cities are physically I feel like comparing their built structure is very different. IMO DC is quite a lot more like Paris on the other side of the globe than it is Baltimore in terms of urban structure.

Not sure what the numbers are trying to prove when speaking about structural density, as there are cities which are more densely populated, more high-rises over however many floors, yet most would agree are less urban than either Baltimore or DC. Miami comes to mind.

DC was designed to resemble Paris, while Baltimore is just an old school American city.

Old 04-25-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revitalizer View Post
Structural density is answered with mathematics.
And/or visually.

Old 04-25-2019, 04:25 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Quote:
Not sure what the numbers are trying to prove when speaking about structural density, as there are cities which are more densely populated, more high-rises over however many floors, yet most would agree are less urban than either Baltimore or DC. Miami comes to mind.

DC was designed to resemble Paris, while Baltimore is just an old school American city.
Miami is probably going to be an arguable case for being structurally denser than Baltimore in a decade and a half to two decades given current trends since there's been a massive amount of infill replacing open surface parking and brownfield lots, a population boom, and a commuter rail connection coming into downtown. However, those are current trends and I reckon Baltimore is going to bounce back soon and buck its current trends.

Quote:
And/or visually.
What visuals were you looking for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City