Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Sophistication is best synonymous with this one
San Francisco 84 30.11%
Boston 91 32.62%
Philadelphia 35 12.54%
Washington 69 24.73%
Voters: 279. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 02:35 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,156,819 times

Advertisements

DC is very black tie! Everything is about image, who you know and what can you do for me. This usually takes place a culture events that are not privy to the masses. The relationship between DC & Hollywood is a prime example of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 02:42 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,960,126 times
1A. San Francisco
1B. Washington DC
2. Boston

Philadelphia is a very distant fourth.

LOL @ this new money and old money BS. Like that's what determines sophistication. No, no, no, education, literacy, presentable hygiene, and interest in unique culture is what dictates sophistication in my personal opinion. Its splitting hairs between San Francisco and Washington DC, where Boston closely trails them, Philadelphia is last.

Per Capita income Gross Domestic Product by MSA $50,000+ (Thanks 18Montclair!)
San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa clara, CA $79,604
San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, CA $72,259
Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV $67,344
Boston-Cambridge-Quincy, MA-NH $58,754
Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD $50,863

More disposable capital leaves for more flexibility in the higher tier restaurants, museums, Broadway theater shows, and so on and so forth. Generally people who make more do so because they're more educated and refined. In my opinion, of course.

There's no reason for Washington DC to be losing the poll this bad. I can understand Boston and San Francisco having more votes because frankly the two of them can make as much of an argument as Washington DC can but less than half? You've got to be kidding me.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 09-06-2012 at 02:56 PM..

Old 09-06-2012, 03:08 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,254,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valencian View Post

More disposable capital leaves for more flexibility in the higher tier restaurants, museums, Broadway theater shows, and so on and so forth. Generally people who make more do so because they're more educated and refined. In my opinion, of course.
It is an opinion, of course but even if one agrees with it, per capita GDP does not equate to disposable income. A place with a higher COL requires more income. Disposable income as I define it would be the amount of money one has after paying for life's essentials. As such, a place with a lower per capita GDP but with an accompanying lower COL could leave more disposable income to enjoy a city's amenities.

Let's look at an example: Based on this tool, it costs nearly twice as much to live in SF as it does to live in Philly: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed. Yet the per capita GDP of SF is only 56% higher, using your statistics. By my calculations, this would mean that after attending to essentials, the average San Franciscan has less money to "dispose of" on some of life's finer offerings than the average Philadelphian.

Last edited by Yac; 09-18-2012 at 06:15 AM..

Old 09-06-2012, 03:30 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,929,815 times
Quote:
1A. San Francisco
1B. Washington DC
2. Boston

Philadelphia is a very distant fourth.

LOL @ this new money and old money BS. Like that's what determines sophistication. No, no, no, education, literacy, presentable hygiene, and interest in unique culture is what dictates sophistication in my personal opinion. Its splitting hairs between San Francisco and Washington DC, where Boston closely trails them, Philadelphia is last.

There's no reason for Washington DC to be losing the poll this bad. I can understand Boston and San Francisco having more votes because frankly the two of them can make as much of an argument as Washington DC can but less than half? You've got to be kidding me.
What you posted is not really disposable income, as JM pointed out. That being said, do you really think Philadelphia is a "distant fourth" in higher tier restaurants, museums, theater and the arts? Museums I could see conceding to DC but I think you'd be hard pressed to prove that DC is a better restaurant and arts city than Philadelphia.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
What you posted is not disposable income.
I used the wrong word by mistake. I'm sure you guys are familiar with typos. I just meant income, don't know why I wrote disposable on there. Higher income and more flexibility. I already know by disposable income places like Chicago, Dallas, and so on and so forth will stretch your dollar more. Higher income areas are generally more educated places, they're not paying high salaries to your below average joes, you know.
Quote:
That being said, do you really think Philadelphia is a "distant fourth" in higher tier restaurants, museums, theater and the arts?
Yes, I really do think that.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:

Yes, I really do think that.
LOL, it was a rhetorical question. I would hope you think so, you posted it.

I was asking more of an explanation; seems that not many people would agree with you on food or the arts. Museums goes to DC, even though Philadelphia is certainly among the tops.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
LOL, it was a rhetorical question. I would hope you think so, you posted it.
Haha, you got me there.
Quote:
I was asking more of an explanation; there are not many people that would agree with you on food or the arts.
I know the B.A. really well and can say that the food there at the very least is better than Philadelphia. In addition to the food it has the Napa Wine Country at its disposal.

I also somewhat fairly know of Boston well enough, I suppose and the food there has always struck me as better than Philadelphia. Especially the seafood and Thai food. I'm such a huge Thai food fanatic.

I've been to Washington DC before once before I moved here last week. I cant expand on this but where I just moved from the food really is a bit below grade and more expensive but its good enough to pass and for me to be content. I haven't even touched up on the high end dining places here yet, so I cant give a fair assessment on that.

As for arts, mehhh that's not my field of expertise so I'll leave it alone but for museums and theater I'll stick to it. I'm sort of a big fan of theater, I'm checking out Wicked! in New York next month. Heard its a fabulous play. Already saw Chicago in New York and was left in awe.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:43 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,254,742 times
Quote:
Higher income areas are generally more educated places, they're not paying high salaries to your below average joes, you know.
Acutally, I worked for a global company for over 25 years. We adjusted the incomes of employees as they moved to or from different cities depending upon the city's COL. The IQs of the employees themselves did not similarly adjust as they changed geographies, alas.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Haha, you got me there.

I know the B.A. really well and can say that the food there at the very least is better than Philadelphia. In addition to the food it has the Napa Wine Country at its disposal.

I also somewhat fairly know of Boston well enough, I suppose and the food there has always struck me as better than Philadelphia. Especially the seafood and Thai food. I'm such a huge Thai food fanatic.

I've been to Washington DC before once before I moved here last week. I cant expand on this but where I just moved from the food really is a bit below grade and more expensive but its good enough to pass and for me to be content. I haven't even touched up on the high end dining places here yet, so I cant give a fair assessment on that.

As for arts, mehhh that's not my field of expertise so I'll leave it alone but for museums and theater I'll stick to it.
Cool, I got ya. Can't really comment on high-end dining in the Bay but the cheaper meals I had were excellent. Not so much a fan of Boston compared to Philadelphia but I'm more of an Italian/steakhouse enthusiast. DC just seems so inauthentic and manufactured to me (save for the AA population although they are being pushed out), so it really clouds any kind of positivity I can find about the place, but I am not a fan of the food. Would actually take Baltimore over DC on food.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 09-06-2012 at 04:00 PM..

Old 09-06-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Cool, I got ya. Can't really comment on high-end dining in the Bay but the cheaper meals I had were excellent.
Besides two family occasions that I've tried their "high end" food it was nice, I have more in depth with their mid grade food and I'm a pretty big fan of it. That place does food right on so many multitudes of levels.
Quote:
Not so much a fan of Boston compared to Philadelphia but I'm more of an Italian/steakhouse enthusiast.
Ahhh I see. We're polar opposites there. I'm not big into Italian much, it's a bit to dry for me. Once in a while I crave it but what I'm really into these days is the Mediterranean food. Just cant seem to get enough of that stuff but all my food cravings are cyclical. They last several weeks and then I get bored with it and move on to the next one. Haha.
Quote:
DC just seems so inauthentic and manufactured to me, so it really clouds any kind of positivity I can find about the place, but I am not a fan of the food. Would actually take Baltimore over DC on food.
Yeah I haven't noticed yet but that's because I've only been here for about 5 days now. I'm really loving it and its been my second favorite big city for quite some time behind the B.A. I need to explore the food scene more a bit but the places I've tried so far have been pretty good. Sort of wish there was more hot smoked barbeque places that were better but for the Persian, Thai, American, and Madrasi food so far I've been really content.

I haven't been to Baltimore in years and have only been once. I need to check it out. What's the specialty there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City