Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Sophistication is best synonymous with this one
San Francisco 84 30.11%
Boston 91 32.62%
Philadelphia 35 12.54%
Washington 69 24.73%
Voters: 279. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 04:01 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valencian View Post

I haven't been to Baltimore in years and have only been once. I need to check it out. What's the specialty there?
Baltimore is crabs, crabs, crabs. They have a really neat Italian section though with great restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 04:17 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
No, no, no, education, literacy, presentable hygiene, and interest in unique culture is what dictates sophistication in my personal opinion.
Well, if that's your definition, then Washington, DC would come out ahead easily. It has the highest concentration of Ivy League graduates in the world. And GDP per capita measures can't capture every single measure of wealth (i.e., a brat working in the French embassy on a 40,000 euro salary blowing daddy's money in Georgetown every weekend). Aside from NYC, Washington, DC probably pulls in more foreign elites than any other city.

I've had some pretty cool encounters in DC. I ran into Shlomo Ben-Ami and Antonin Scalia in an elevator once (had brief, polite conversation). I also got to speak briefly with Susan Rice and Gwen Ifill at a reception.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:21 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,659,395 times
Washington
San fran

Boston

Philly

Old 09-06-2012, 04:30 PM

Philadelphia has always had a very large Jewish intellectual community. The city did produce one of the greatest intellectuals in American history in Noam Chomsky after all (Central High School, baby!). And the city's black community is far more multi-faceted than what you'll find in most cities.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:36 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I've had some pretty cool encounters in DC. I ran into Shlomo Ben-Ami and Antonin Scalia in an elevator once (had brief, polite conversation). I also got to speak briefly with Susan Rice and Gwen Ifill at a reception.
What field are you in?

I'm here for political journalism. Still at novice but given my age, that's perfectly okay.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
What field are you in?
The same field many young people in NYC and DC are in. I'll let you guess which one.

Quote:
I'm here for political journalism. Still at novice but given my age, that's perfectly okay.
That's cool.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
The same field many young people in NYC and DC are in. I'll let you guess which one..
Ha, the guessing game. What could it be. The two cities have glaringly different economies. It's got to be either something in technology, medicine, finance, journalism, or law.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Ha, the guessing game. What could it be. The two cities have glaringly different economies. It's got to be either something in technology, medicine, finance, or law.
Haha. They're not as different as most people think. Both cities have the largest NGO sectors in the country (if not the world) by a long shot. The DC Metro area has quite a few PE and VC shops and there are a lot of people who work for the big NYC financial houses that work on the regulatory side of things. There's obviously significant overlap in journalism. NYC and DC are probably the most integrated cities in the country in that sense.

DC is a nerdier town than NYC. You might go to a happy hour, meet a girl whose reasonably good-looking, and then get sucked into a 45 minute conversation about hydroponics.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
DC is a nerdier town than NYC. You might go to a happy hour, meet a girl whose reasonably good-looking, and then get sucked into a 45 minute conversation about hydroponics.
I like those types of conversations though. I'm not one of those pocket protector type of nerds by far but I'm definitely really into literate intellectualism. Well, for sure not hydroponics but I could sit and talk about history and especially literature all day long. I'm not the club goer type at all. Most adventurous I get is going to a sports bar every time I watch basketball.

I hope techno and trance are great here, I'm really into that kind of stuff.
Quote:
Haha. They're not as different as most people think. Both cities have the largest NGO sectors in the country (if not the world) by a long shot. The DC Metro area has quite a few PE and VC shops and there are a lot of people who work for the big NYC financial houses that work on the regulatory side of things. There's obviously significant overlap in journalism. NYC and DC are probably the most integrated cities in the country in that sense.
Yeah I can definitely tell on the journalism part that the two cities are connected. They literally feed off each other for current events.

That's another good point, the VC power here is off the charts and if you go ahead and include in the B.A., Boston, and Seattle with Washington DC and New York then you've got your VC centers right there. This city is just incredibly career oriented, by far compared to where I moved from. It's like a whole different world.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:01 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Really? Here take a look at the the net outflow from the city. People are still leaving the city, and those moving in are from the burbs. There is no great inflow from people in other parts of the US. Hometown, blue collar Philly, that is this city in a nutshell.

Destination Philadelphia: Tracking the City's Migration Trends - The Pew Charitable Trusts
Directly from your article:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pew Charitable Trusts
About half of the movement of people in and out of Philadelphia involves locations within the metropolitan area. Outside the region, New York City, Los Angeles County, Cook County (Chicago) and Allegheny County (Pittsburgh) are high on the list of places to which Philadelphians move and from which they come, as is Puerto Rico. So, too, are several Florida counties, as well as counties in the northern New Jersey, Baltimore, Boston and Washington, DC, areas.
Last I checked, half ain't most, and New York, Los Angeles, Chicago and Pittsburgh ain't suburbs of Philadelphia. Furthermore, if you look again at the map I posted (giving you the benefit of the doubt that you even bothered to a first time), the counties shaded in blue are those that Philadelphia had a net positive migration with between 2009 and 2010. There are about as many of them as there are red counties.

And click on any core metropolitan county on this interactive map, and chances are you'll see a bright red ring around each of them, indicating a net negative migration from the core county to the fringe counties. It's Philadelphia, New York, Boston, Baltimore, Washington DC, Miami, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Detroit, Chicago, St. Louis, Minneapolis, Dallas, Denver Los Angeles, and many more. Hell, the only core county I could find that defies this trend is Fulton County, GA (Atlanta).

Not only have I discredited you, but you own source discredited you too. Give up. You lose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City