Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 04:40 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times

Advertisements

With tourism and maybe industries... Sure. Everything else is a toss up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
Sorry I was getting off of the subject just thought the comments were crazy and not backed up by any facts. These are facts not hype nobody but you said Seattle was trying to be a world class city maybe it was a long time ago you lived there but please use facts if your going to bash a city Thank You.
How is Seattle having bizarre noise ordinance not a fact? They do! Not to mention, there are people who move into the city, then actually complain about city noises-- and they actually go to the city council to deal with this.

And yes, Seattle has huge world class city aspirations... they've had it since the 90s. They failed its first "test" with the WTO riots, but at least they've been able to get rid of the backwater town rep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 05:00 PM

1,108 posts, read 2,287,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Lorentzen View Post
I lived in Seattle for 15 years, and although I love the city, it's really not all that. Seattle likes to think it's a 'big, world-class city', but it's just not. Their transportation infrastructure is more than pathetic for a city its size; the art and theater scenes are lacking; the music scene has declined due to bizarre city noise ordinances; if all you have are tall buildings, pro-sports stadiums and one major university, you're just not a world-class city. There are three truly 'urban' neighborhoods: Capitol Hill, Belltown and South Lake Union. The rest of the city is made of single family homes. Again, I love Seattle, but there's more hype there than reality.
That's ridiculous - by US standards, Seattle has a very large swath of connected, urban, non-Single Family home neighborhoods. Except for some very dense single-family homes on the edge of Capitol Hill, all of the colored areas on the map do not have single family homes:

No, it is not up there with NYC, SF, Philly, Boston, Chicago, but your description is a major exaggeration. Not to mention, Seattle is densifying quickly, and it is one of the few cities where a subway is being built through the core.

Old 09-07-2012, 05:02 PM

1,108 posts, read 2,287,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
This sounds made up! No city in the world could be THAT great!!

All he said was that skyscrapers ("Amazon alone has three new supertalls"), lacking arts/music scene ("WaMu , SoDo, Paramount, tripple door, Moore, ShowBox, live music theaters must not know about it.", and all probably abide by this noise ordinance), only one ("ranked like 22nd") major university, poor mass transit options for a city its size (the "underground subways", "two streetcar lines" and "two commuter lines" are all fairly new developments/proposals), and the SFH neighborhoods (that now are supposedly "all vertical" all of the sudden) don't necessarily place Seattle at that "worldly" elite level that it thinks it is at (and clearly Seattlites like you think it is!). He's saying it takes a bit more and/or that Seattle is a bit overrated, that's all. That's not really a stretch, either.

But I believe the topic of the thread was "can places like Seattle hang with their larger counterparts like Atlanta, Detroit and/or Miami?". Should the OP place a check mark for "yes" for you?
I would argue that Minneapolis has a higher percentage of single-family homes close to the core than Seattle, by a good margin.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:09 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,221,131 times
Big city mindset-Atlanta, Miami, Minneapolis THEN detroit and phoenix is catching up fast
urban rail-Miami
infrastructure-Atlanta, Miami or Phoenix
Entertainment role in the world-Atlanta or Miami
Tourism-Miami or Atlanta
Industries-Atlanta, Detroit, Phoenix
Walkable-Miami or Minneapolis
Urban features-Atlanta, Minneapolis or Miami

Detroit despite having 5 million people only has a people mover and most of their suburbs are not very urban. Minneapolis, Atlanta and Miami are very urban cities. Phoenix despite what people think, its not that urban, opened up light rail and making progress in the downtown area.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:27 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,192,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orzo View Post
I would argue that Minneapolis has a higher percentage of single-family homes close to the core than Seattle, by a good margin.
No argument there, but then again, I never made any argument that SFH's in the city was a bad thing. And as much as Seattlites love to pretend how big and important you are, just remember that Minneapolis is and always has been your closest peer in terms of size, GDP, density, etc......like it or not (you could do a lot worse when it comes to comparisons, despite what some of the Seattle snobs think!). You're building 7,000 apartments right now? Well Minneapolis is putting up at least 5,000 itself, with nearly 10,000 in the pipeline (City, not Metro). Both cities are fairly urban. Both cities are growing in a moderate and sustainable manner. And both cities are becoming more dense and more integrated than ever before. I haven't seen a huge separation yet....

Old 09-07-2012, 09:32 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,192,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
Big city mindset-Atlanta, Miami, Minneapolis THEN detroit and phoenix is catching up fast
urban rail-Miami
Tourism-Miami or Atlanta

Detroit despite having 5 million people only has a people mover and most of their suburbs are not very urban. Minneapolis, Atlanta and Miami are very urban cities. Phoenix despite what people think, its not that urban, opened up light rail and making progress in the downtown area.
I don't agree with this at all. Atlanta is not a "very urban city", and neither is Minneapolis. Seattle is close but not quite there, and Detroit actually has the best infrastructure for urbanism of the bunch (besides MAYBE Miami) and yet it gets no love (and its inner-ring suburbs are quite urbanized). Seattle is more walkable than Minneapolis or Miami and probably has slightly more urban features as well. Every one of these cities has urban rail ('cept Detroit, for obvious reasons), so I'm not sure why Miami is the city you chose for that criteria.

I think the 2nd tier of smaller metros can hang with the big ones on many/most levels, but clearly the bigger metros have the edge on the smaller ones by and large on many of the amenities listed (incl. Seattle -- America's spoild child).

Old 09-07-2012, 09:34 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,990,690 times
For better or worse I like to think of Seattle, Phoenix, Minneapolis, Denver, and San Diego as the same tier. Seattle is graduating this class soon and moving up fastest IMO.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:13 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,892,835 times
I don't think Phoenix wants all those urban things that people are ranking these cities with.

Old 09-08-2012, 05:54 AM

1,581 posts, read 2,825,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
No argument there, but then again, I never made any argument that SFH's in the city was a bad thing. And as much as Seattlites love to pretend how big and important you are, just remember that Minneapolis is and always has been your closest peer in terms of size, GDP, density, etc......like it or not (you could do a lot worse when it comes to comparisons, despite what some of the Seattle snobs think!). You're building 7,000 apartments right now? Well Minneapolis is putting up at least 5,000 itself, with nearly 10,000 in the pipeline (City, not Metro). Both cities are fairly urban. Both cities are growing in a moderate and sustainable manner. And both cities are becoming more dense and more integrated than ever before. I haven't seen a huge separation yet....
That's really good, but the points was 7,700 under construction was just downtown Seattle neighborhoods.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:36 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,887,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
urban rail-Miami
Tourism-Miami or Atlanta

Lol Atlanta is a very urban city??? Detroit has suburbs denser than Atlanta it's self. Most of Atlanta or it's suburbs aren't very urban. Hell, you can Google map most random neighborhoods and street view it to see how "urban" much of Atlanta is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City