Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 06:02 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,272,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeridianX View Post
Los Angeles
It has the Beverly HIlls, The Hollywood Hills, Woodland Hills etc
Besides de The Santa Monica and San Gabriel mountain ranges.
Yes yes yes. LA's hills are its best features, Pacific Ocean adjacency aside. I live in the Echo Park hills (aka the Red Hills if you were alive in the 30's (I doubt anyone sincerely is here) and the view from my apartment is astounding (you'd think that would make it way more expensive, but it wasn't -- I found out why when I realized a balcony window facing west makes even the most Mediterranean climate turn into a Solar Oven -- but I digress. San Fran is usually the ideal candidate, but I much prefer LA because it has valleys to match it's hills, adding more contrast. Maybe I'm biased though, though I'm not a booster since I haven't lived in one city long enough to be a homer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 06:03 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,272,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Silverlake and Echo Park are great hillside neighborhoods in LA. Downtown LA is also surprisingly hilly...
I work up on Bunker Hill...I'll tell ya...by the end of the day, I am EXHAUSTED.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:54 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Wow. Some crazy choices y'all are making.

San Franciso
Seattle
Portland

are the only ones worth mentioning. There are hills throughout the city. Not just on the edges of the city.

Los Angeles, Cincinnati? ... don't make me laugh.
The issue for you might be that LA is so large that you can't really say it's an overall hilly city. However, the city is so large that the portion of LA that is hilly is pretty huge and those parts are very hilly. Also, the mountain range in LA technically actually cuts through the middle--not just off on the periphery.

I heard Cincinnati and Pittsburgh before--pictures look plenty hilly to me.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:58 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escilade18 View Post
Those are in Pittsburgh which can have a few hills that are "fun" to drive come winter time

Cars Slide Down Icy Hill in Pittsburgh - YouTube
This video is ridiculous. This doesn't happen every year does it?

Old 10-03-2012, 06:36 AM

567 posts, read 1,119,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
The Bay Area has hills on all sides. I say Oakland tho cause the views are spectacular and so is the quality of life. But then in the West that tends to be the norm, the higher the elevation the higher the quality of life. lol
Up to a point. If it's far up enough to where it's outside of commuting distance, it starts looking like Hazzard County. There's some interesting pockets in the mountains outside of L.A.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:03 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ny1964 View Post
He Syracuse isn't a hill town. It is just built on a slight slope.
This may help in terms of showing how hilly the city/area is: http://www.city-data.com/forum/syrac...-syracuse.html

Old 10-04-2012, 09:51 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,889,961 times
Seattle definitely is right up there with San Francisco for steep hills right downtown, to the poster who said he doesn't like to walk in San Francisco because of its steep hills, Seattle would be miserable to them as well. (I actually relish walking up the steep hills of both; and in any hilly area like around L.A. or Portland).

When we were in Seattle in June, trucks were actually having problems going up the hills downtown, spinning out and having a hard time moving forward on the damp pavement, and in Seattle, damp pavement is a pretty much given. I would never drive in that city with even a hint of ice or snow on the road! It must be nearly as bad as the video above in Pittsburgh.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:38 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,579,836 times
L.A's have a ton of recognition, but Cincinatti's hills are beautiful as well! I always enjoy driving through them. Also want to point out that San Antonio is quite hilly, especially to the north.

I typically like city hills with unique, urban development on them, so San Francisco and some cities on the east coast would have the best hills imo.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:23 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,165,333 times
Charleston, West Virginia...seriously!

Old 10-31-2012, 12:31 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,985,171 times
In terms of public staircases:
1. Pittsburgh 117
2. Los Angeles 89
3. Seattle 84
4. San Francisco 79

In terms of steepest streets in US, of the top 10, LA has 4, Pittsburgh and SF 2 each (although Pittsburgh has the steepest public street in US - Canton Ave. 37% grade).

And similar to San Francisco, Pittsburgh's hills are densely populated.

So I declare the winner to be Pittsburgh.

http://ericlidji.files.wordpress.com...tantonview.jpg
http://assets.byways.org/asset_files...ne_Incline.JPG
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2254/...aa7683bf4b.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 06-17-2014 at 05:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City