Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 08:07 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times

Advertisements

Its interesting how the world views us.

Quote:
Vancouver has been named the city with the world’s best reputation. The result is from Reputation Institute’s 2012 City RepTrak™. The yearly study ranks the world’s 100 most reputable cities by polling more than 18,000 people from the G8 countries.
Vancouver Voted City With the World

How North American Cities Ranked:
1 Vancouver
15 San Francisco
22 Toronto
26 Montreal
36 Orlando
37 Seattle
39 New York
40 Houston
43 New Orleans
44 Washington DC
50 Boston
51 Los Angeles
52 Miami
53 Atlanta
55 Chicago
62 San Juan
63 Las Vegas
69 Cancun
86 Port-Au-Prince
88 Mexico City
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 08:17 AM

432 posts, read 610,338 times
Poor Philadelphia We never get the respect we deserve Maybe next year though. Philadelphia is defiantly the most hated city in America but I think its because of sports.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:33 AM

10,750 posts, read 23,828,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Hill View Post
Poor Philadelphia We never get the respect we deserve Maybe next year though. Philadelphia is defiantly the most hated city in America but I think its because of sports.
For what its worth I love Philadelphia, my favorite city in the Northeast. Great skyline, food, museums, and architecture.

Vancouver is nice for scenery, parks, and dining, but I found a lot of people there to be rather smug. All the glass buildings are cool but the architecture seems very duplicated block after block and gets a bit monotenous.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:51 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
Lol @ Orlando having the second best reputation in the country.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:44 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times
The only thing there is to do in Vancouver is smoke weed and watch hockey, no matter how much you want to pretty it up.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:58 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
For what its worth I love Philadelphia, my favorite city in the Northeast. Great skyline, food, museums, and architecture.

Vancouver is nice for scenery, parks, and dining, but I found a lot of people there to be rather smug. All the glass buildings are cool but the architecture seems very duplicated block after block and gets a bit monotenous.
I love Vancouver in some ways--but I'll be the first to admit that it's probably the most overrated city in North America. It's beautiful of course, with the view of the mountains just across the water from the gleaming condo towers of downtown with the lush parkland of Stanley Park in the middle of that---however the reality is that it costs a fortune to actually live in those dense downtown and West End neighborhooods with the high rises(and a lot of those are owned by rich out-of-towners). The rest of Vancouver is nice, but it's not all that nicer than any other city on the West Coast--it's either pleasant older single family homes or average suburbs further out. The nightlife isn't at the level of a world-class city--there's the Granville strip has clubs and bars open later though most of those are chessy dance clubs filled with 19-year-olds. In the rest of the city a lot of the bars have last call at midnight. Really much of the city seems to go to close up shop earlier than even Portland. It's not as lively and exciting as Montreal or Toronto--or San Francisco either(or Chicago or Philly or so on). You're closer to good skiing, but Calgary is close to the Canadian Rockies which IMO can be more exciting than Whistler in some ways...

All that glitz and beauty sort of hides the fact that despite the prescense of a lot of tourists(and Asian ex-pats and immigrants), Vancouver is at it's heart a still just a large provincial city. People like to assume that Vancouver is somehow far more world class than it's neighbors in the Northwest and Western Canada--but really it's a tourist city--with a big entertainment industry as well. Meeting people who live in Vancouver though on my sort of annual trips up there--a lot them relocated from places like Edmonton or Winnipeg and now they can't wait to tell you how "Vancouver is the most amazing place on Earth" and that "There's nowhere else like it". It's a level of smugness that even outpaces the high smug level in other West Coast cities. Vancouver has such a shiny image though.

Honestly, though while I love the cities of the Northwest including Vancouver and Victoria--after 12 years living up here, I'm finding cities with an older urban environment like Philadelphia to be more interesting to me these days.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:01 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Lol @ Orlando having the second best reputation in the country.

Well whats not to love - an oasis from reality

Walt Disney World - Main Street & Liberty Square | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 09-27-2012, 11:17 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,118,446 times
Agree that Vancouver's overrated, though justified credit for its scenery.

Too costly, cold-feeling (the people, not just the weather) too. Certainly quite a lot less to offer compared to SF and many many other cities.

And really, Orlando? Before NYC, Boston, Chicago, LA? Tells a lot there.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:33 AM

2,684 posts, read 7,385,389 times
They must have not heard of what goes on in East Vancouver.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:56 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
When Orlando is ahead of Seattle, and New Orleans is ahead of Boston, the study is flawed.

The first handful of times I saw Vancouver from Seattle, I was in love, for lack of a better word, and kept going up on day-hops. Then, you start seeing its true colors. Expensive. Overrun with Chinese and South Asian immigrants - not just a part of the mosaic, but overrun. Crappy weather and the depressed people that come with that. Some of its eastern areas look like meth labs. Unlike Seattle, they have stucco homes and, with the constant moisture, they look decrepit. And, lastly, Vancouver is smug while Seattle is aloof.

A great place to visit. Not such a great place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City