Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your pick?
Arizona/New Mexico 30 51.72%
Colorado/Utah 28 48.28%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 06:12 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,704,020 times

Advertisements

Arizona/New Mexico:
-Phoenix
-Tucson
-Albuquerque

Colorado/Utah:
-Denver
-Salt Lake City
-Colorado Springs

Which two states would you prefer?

Criteria-
Cities:
Culture:
Diversity (People):
Diversity (Climate):
Scenery:
Food/Cuisine:
More Outdoorsy:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 06:20 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,966,660 times
You should have done Arizona & Colorado versus Utah & New Mexico. That way I could have voted () but cant since I like two states on opposing sides practically the same. Plus in my opinion it would have been more interesting to mix a DSW state with a IMW state instead of two DSW's against two IMW's.

Both Denver & Tucson are two of my top 10 cities by FAR, I cant pick between the two on which one I like better and that's representative of their states.

I never really cared for New Mexico to be honest. I've been to Albuquerque but never Santa Fe & honestly have no desire to see a small town. Albuquerque I'm not a fan of, I also happen to think it's wayyy hyped. Salt Lake City I've never been to so it's on my short list and I don't have an opinion of Utah yet since I haven't been. I've never considered Colorado Springs a major city before but it's your thread so your rules here. Haha.

Ohhh and aren't these the 4 corner states? Technically you can be in all 4 at the same damn time!

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 10-18-2012 at 06:31 PM..

Old 10-18-2012, 06:33 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Criteria-
Cities: AZ
Culture: NM
Diversity (People): AZ
Diversity (Climate): UT
Scenery: AZ
Food/Cuisine: AZ
More Outdoorsy: CO

I voted Arizona/New Mexico. Love desert scenery, love the cities (especially Santa Fe), alot of transplants, Grand Canyon, Lake Havasu.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
You should have done Arizona & Colorado versus Utah & New Mexico. That way I could have voted () but cant since I like two states on opposing sides practically the same. Plus in my opinion it would have been more interesting to mix a DSW state with a IMW state instead of two DSW's against two IMW's.

Both Denver & Tucson are two of my top 10 cities by FAR, I cant pick between the two on which one I like better and that's representative of their states.

I never really cared for New Mexico to be honest. I've been to Albuquerque but never Santa Fe & honestly have no desire to see a small town. Albuquerque I'm not a fan of, I also happen to think it's wayyy hyped. Salt Lake City I've never been to so it's on my short list and I don't have an opinion of Utah yet since I haven't been. I've never considered Colorado Springs a major city before but it's your thread so your rules here. Haha.

Ohhh and aren't these the 4 corner states? Technically you can be in all 4 at the same damn time!
I was thinking about pairing CO and AZ together, but Then that would leave the two smaller states against the two larger (as far as population).

Old 10-19-2012, 02:59 PM

152 posts, read 298,806 times
The southern states take this one for sure... NM/AZ both have the climate options that can make anyone happy... In UT/CO if you hate cold winters then your screwed.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitnessPower View Post
The southern states take this one for sure... NM/AZ both have the climate options that can make anyone happy... In UT/CO if you hate cold winters then your screwed.
That's not true. You can go to St. George, UT if you don't want an overly cold winter. There are even areas in Colorado like that.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:33 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,072,861 times
People really have NO CLUE about Colorado winters!

Old 10-19-2012, 06:02 PM

474 posts, read 840,623 times
Cities: CO
Culture: NM
Diversity (People): NM
Diversity (Climate): UT
Scenery: UT
Food/Cuisine: NM
More Outdoorsy: UT

States ranked:
1. Colorado
2. Utah
3. New Mexico
4. Arizona

Cities ranked:
1. Denver
2. Salt Lake City
3. Santa Fe
4. Colorado Springs
5. Albuquerque
6. Phoenix
7. Tucson

Old 10-25-2012, 08:30 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Cities: Colorado/Utah. Denver over Phoenix, Salt Lake City over Albuquerque, Colorado Springs over Tucson.

Culture: All four have their own cultures. I guess it depends on what one's interests may be.

Diversity (People): People are people. There are differences across cultures but what we all have in common is that we are people. I value what makes us alike far more than what makes us different.

Diversity (Climate): Wash. Arizona and Utah both range from palm trees to snow capped peaks. Colorado and New Mexico both have plains, desert, and mountains.

Scenery: Colorado/Utah.

Food/Cuisine: New Mexico.

More Outdoorsy: Colorado/Utah. All four really have outdoors culture, but the outdoorsy lifestyle is one of the first things I think of when I think of Colorado or Utah. I suppose this is true of Arizona too, but not necessarily New Mexico.

Good thread, Metzer. Always nice to see something other than NYC, Chicago, LA, San Francisco or Boston!

Old 10-27-2013, 05:08 PM

5 posts, read 17,488 times
My Ranking:

1) Utah
Pros - Most beautiful, 4 seasons, SLC has great city planning, Diverse landscape, Outdoor person's heaven, Amazing snow
Cons - Cold winters, inversion, Suburbs are not that culturally diverse

2) Arizona
Pros - Amazing winters, Tons of pro sporting events, in position for continued growth which should bode well for economy
Cons - BUGS, Heat outside of winter is intense, Not much diversity in architecture, Water could be future issue

3) Colorado
Pros - Denver is respectable city, very pretty in the mountains, Also diverse to have mountain, green valley, desert, etc. Good skiing
Cons - Eastern side of state is not pretty, snows a ton in winter, Denver isn't planned out very well

4) NM - Disclaimer---I have only spent 3 days in NM, so I don't feel I can give a qualified opinon. Although I put it 4th on the list, I DO think that it is an underrated state from many residents I have spoken to.

So.....I guess I would go with UT/CO over AZ/NM
4) NM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City