Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your #1 city for our requirements below...
Indianapolis 17 12.59%
Cincinnati 12 8.89%
Chicago 53 39.26%
Pittsburgh 17 12.59%
Minneapolis 35 25.93%
St Louis 18 13.33%
Other (specify in thread) 18 13.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 01:41 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,219,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
I never said they wern't.
You were reffering to cleveland and boosting Chicago. So yes you were
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 08:04 AM

120 posts, read 209,111 times
Chicago and Minneapolis are the only two cities on the list that I would consider living in.

Old 11-17-2012, 03:44 AM

3 posts, read 5,387 times
I have to agree with the majority opinion; Chicago and Minneapolis are head and shoulders above the rest, in terms of the sheer number of opportunities available. I have lived in both for several years, so here is my comparison of the two in the areas that concern you:

SIZE OF HEALTH CARE JOB MARKET - Both cities have huge markets (Chicago is renown for Northwestern + UChicago, and Minneapolis for Mayo Clinic, but ultimately they both have a huge number of reputable hospitals.) I call it a draw.

LACK OF SUBURBAN SPRAWL - Chicago is a little better in this regard. It has a higher population density. The difference, however, isn't huge, and Minneapolis has the best biking infrastructure in the country if that is something of interest. Chicago has the slight upper hand here.

WALKABILITY - Goes along with Sprawl I suppose. Minneapolis has a huge number of parks and walkways which make walking really enjoyable, at least during the summer when it is warm enough. In the winter, there are heated walkways through downtown. Ultimately, I'd say Minneapolis is more walkable for this reason alone: the city is smaller. Everything I would want to access is within five miles of my residence, so walking is never out of the picture. Chicago's institutions are much more spread out. Slight advantage to Minneapolis.

SAFETY AND FEELING OF SAFETY- This is more dependent on the neighborhood than the city, but there is no doubt that Minneapolis has lower crime and less gang activity. It is generally perceived to be a very safe city, and its crime rate is about half of Chicago's. The only downside is that the lower population density means that the downtown is less crowded at night, which is kind of eerie. Overall, the safety advantage definitely goes to Minneapolis.

TIME OF TRAVEL TO INDY - Chicago is about 5 hours. Minneapolis would be about 12. Obvious advantage to Chicago.

ATTRACTIONS, SPORTS, ENTERTAINMENT - This is where these two cities smash the other competition. You can't go wrong with either one, since they both offer world-class entertainment (the Mall of America to the Guthrie Theater in Minneapolis, and the world-renown Museum Campus in Chicago.) Both cities offer professional teams in every major sport. However, in Chicago, it will take you twice as long to get to the attraction, and it will cost you twice as much. Slight advantage goes to Minneapolis.

PUBLIC TRANSIT - The El makes Chicago much better in this regard. Chicago.

SUPPLY OF NEWER LOFTS AND CONDOS - Minneapolis has tons of charming and well-located lofts for a much more reasonable price than Chicago. Minneapolis.

I love both cities for different reasons. Depending on how much value you place on each of the criteria, I hope the choice has now been made clearer. I am can be happy and raise a great family in either city.

Old 11-17-2012, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisbringsusto View Post
I have to agree with the majority opinion; Chicago and Minneapolis are head and shoulders above the rest, in terms of the sheer number of opportunities available. I have lived in both for several years, so here is my comparison of the two in the areas that concern you:

SIZE OF HEALTH CARE JOB MARKET - Both cities have huge markets (Chicago is renown for Northwestern + UChicago, and Minneapolis for Mayo Clinic, but ultimately they both have a huge number of reputable hospitals.) I call it a draw.

LACK OF SUBURBAN SPRAWL - Chicago is a little better in this regard. It has a higher population density. The difference, however, isn't huge, and Minneapolis has the best biking infrastructure in the country if that is something of interest. Chicago has the slight upper hand here.

WALKABILITY - Goes along with Sprawl I suppose. Minneapolis has a huge number of parks and walkways which make walking really enjoyable, at least during the summer when it is warm enough. In the winter, there are heated walkways through downtown. Ultimately, I'd say Minneapolis is more walkable for this reason alone: the city is smaller. Everything I would want to access is within five miles of my residence, so walking is never out of the picture. Chicago's institutions are much more spread out. Slight advantage to Minneapolis.

SAFETY AND FEELING OF SAFETY- This is more dependent on the neighborhood than the city, but there is no doubt that Minneapolis has lower crime and less gang activity. It is generally perceived to be a very safe city, and its crime rate is about half of Chicago's. The only downside is that the lower population density means that the downtown is less crowded at night, which is kind of eerie. Overall, the safety advantage definitely goes to Minneapolis.

TIME OF TRAVEL TO INDY - Chicago is about 5 hours. Minneapolis would be about 12. Obvious advantage to Chicago.

ATTRACTIONS, SPORTS, ENTERTAINMENT - This is where these two cities smash the other competition. You can't go wrong with either one, since they both offer world-class entertainment (the Mall of America to the Guthrie Theater in Minneapolis, and the world-renown Museum Campus in Chicago.) Both cities offer professional teams in every major sport. However, in Chicago, it will take you twice as long to get to the attraction, and it will cost you twice as much. Slight advantage goes to Minneapolis.

PUBLIC TRANSIT - The El makes Chicago much better in this regard. Chicago.

SUPPLY OF NEWER LOFTS AND CONDOS - Minneapolis has tons of charming and well-located lofts for a much more reasonable price than Chicago. Minneapolis.

I love both cities for different reasons. Depending on how much value you place on each of the criteria, I hope the choice has now been made clearer. I am can be happy and raise a great family in either city.
First it does not take 5 hours to get from chicago to Indy stop looking at mapquest. Second people seem to forget cincinnati and cleveland have probably the best health care market in the country and close to the top in the world. Dude all you said was minneapolis and Chicago and i know those two dont fit into every single criteria.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:19 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,814,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
First it does not take 5 hours to get from chicago to Indy stop looking at mapquest. Second people seem to forget cincinnati and cleveland have probably the best health care market in the country and close to the top in the world.
Minneapolis has the Mayo Clinic 90 minutes away, it is one of the best hospitals in the world. Everybody thinks they have the best health care.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:32 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,903,988 times
My midwestern favorites in order of preference:

Minneapolis (including St Paul)
Chicago
St Louis
Kansas City
Pittsburgh
Cleveland
Cincinnati
Indianapolis

I would have little desire to live in any of the others.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Minneapolis has the Mayo Clinic 90 minutes away, it is one of the best hospitals in the world. Everybody thinks they have the best health care.
not me...

Old 11-17-2012, 04:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
First it does not take 5 hours to get from chicago to Indy stop looking at mapquest. Second people seem to forget cincinnati and cleveland have probably the best health care market in the country and close to the top in the world. Dude all you said was minneapolis and Chicago and i know those two dont fit into every single criteria.
According to google maps, it's 3h, 18 min from Chicago to Indy, a number that doesn't take into account from where in Chicago to where in Indy, need to stop for gas, food, bathroom breaks, etc. As my daughter once said, "You can eat in the car, you can pee out the window, but you have to stop for gas!" At that distance, 183 mi, you ought to be able to do it on one tank, unless you forgot to fill up before you left.

Old 11-17-2012, 05:33 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,290,158 times
Quote:
90 min is close, but Cleveland Clinic is inside the city limits of Cleveland. You can enjoy both the city amenities and a 5-15 min commute.

Old 11-17-2012, 05:56 PM

130 posts, read 290,750 times
1. Minneapolis
2. Chicago
3. St. Louis
9998. Wall Drug
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City