Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your #1 city for our requirements below...
Indianapolis 17 12.59%
Cincinnati 12 8.89%
Chicago 53 39.26%
Pittsburgh 17 12.59%
Minneapolis 35 25.93%
St Louis 18 13.33%
Other (specify in thread) 18 13.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 09:21 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,219,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rostroup View Post
Would you call Louisville Midwest?
Nope its the south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 10:29 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Pittsburgh may not be the midwest (I am a native and I don't think it is), but it is on the OP's list. It also has great health care options.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:10 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,160,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
It sounds like you haven't been to St. Louis, because if you had, you'd know that St. Louis feels and looks a lot like Pittsburgh (minus the hills). St. Louis is also older than the United States (1764). Maybe you need to check out some of our St. Louis photo threads-- you'll see that St. Louis' built environment is more similar to Pittsburgh than to almost any other Midwestern city:

Jive & Gasm's St. Louis Instagram Extravaganza! (with a detour in New York!) - SkyscraperPage Forum

A beautiful walk in a beautiful neighborhood with my beautiful wife - SkyscraperPage Forum

Lafayette Square - St. Louis according to Mr. & Mrs. Gasm - SkyscraperPage Forum
That wasn't my point. My point is people in Pittsburgh rarely go anywhere in the Midwest besides Chicago and Cleveland. Ive never heard anyone in pittsburgh say they were going to St Louis or Indy for anything.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:56 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
That wasn't my point. My point is people in Pittsburgh rarely go anywhere in the Midwest besides Chicago and Cleveland. Ive never heard anyone in pittsburgh say they were going to St Louis or Indy for anything.
True. Most Pittsburghers don't go much farther west than eastern Ohio, unless it's CA. My brother and his friends used to go to the Indy 500. It's only about 8 hrs away.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:23 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,677,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Was your point to sound ignorant of history? History that is very easy to double check before you try to make a condescending remark that just comes off dumb...

Old 11-11-2012, 11:25 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,160,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
Was your point to sound ignorant of history? History that is very easy to double check before you try to make a condescending remark that just comes off dumb...
What on earth are you talking about? What does that have to do with the idea most Pittsburghers don't travel to places in the Midwest? What is remotely ignorant about saying that when it's true (as evidenced by another poster saying what I said)? Find me the remark that so condescending there. You don't live here, so I think I know a little more about where people who live in Pittsburgh travel to. I got plenty of looks myself when I told people I was going to Chicago just to visit for a few days and people also asking 'why not go to New York instead'. That should tell you what parts of the country Pittsburgh aligns itself with. Look at migration maps from Allegheny County. Most migration is to and from cities on the coast or south not cities in the Midwest besides Ohio and mainly that's because it's right next door. Pittsburghers are like many of their Northeast counterparts with not much travel to Midwestern locations. To some people in Pittsburgh, the Midwest might as well be a far away as California with the lack of travel locals take to there.

How on earth is it ignorant to say I've never heard anyone in Pittsburgh say they were going to Indy or St. Louis? That isn't bashing a city, it's just saying that those aren't places people in Pittsburgh go to if they want to visit a city.

Last edited by bradjl2009; 11-11-2012 at 11:35 AM..

Old 11-11-2012, 01:31 PM

Anyway...with the amount of medical district in cincy and in Cleveland, i think those two cities would be the best for you. Every single criteria fits perfectly well in those two cities. Their is a huge health care market in these two cities. There are tons of little neighborhoods in cincy where you can walk around and feel safe right from you loft overlooking downtown cincy, in cleveland they have a great transit system, you could live their without a car, unfortanetly with cincy we are still building are streetcar system. Cincinnati is only a hour and a half from Indy and Cleveland is four hours. Cincinnati and cleveland has so many attractions, sport teams and entertainment...just to name a few cincy has kings island world famous and cleveland has the rock museum which is also world famous and thats just a few. Again you will feel safe n certain neighborhoods of cincy and cleveland. The bad ones are really getting fixed up and the city is putting millions of dollars into. Cincy and cleveland have so many new condos and lofts being built right now cant speak for cleveland since i dont live their but in cincy you better hurry those condos and lofts get filled up quicly and their is a waiting list.

Old 11-11-2012, 03:15 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,814,881 times
I've lived in Minneapolis and Chicago and have been to Indianapolis and Cleveland a number of times. Of those Chicago has the most big city feel but I would rate Minneapolis as a better place to live (by a wide margin). Minneapolis has all the activities I want out of a big city but few of the hassles. Cleveland has too many issues while Indy is bland. I've never been to Pittsburgh or St Louis and have only driven through Cinncinati so I have no opinion of them.

Old 11-11-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
I've lived in Minneapolis and Chicago and have been to Indianapolis and Cleveland a number of times. Of those Chicago has the most big city feel but I would rate Minneapolis as a better place to live (by a wide margin). Minneapolis has all the activities I want out of a big city but few of the hassles. Cleveland has too many issues while Indy is bland.
Like what of issues does cleveland have?

Old 11-11-2012, 03:25 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,814,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Like what of issues does cleveland have?
Crime, decay, terrible schools and major population loss in the last decade. The suburbs might not have those issues but I don't think a metro can be healthy if the core city isn't.

Last edited by Drewcifer; 11-11-2012 at 03:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City