Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city is most like Los Angeles?
Austin 12 3.88%
Denver 18 5.83%
Raleigh 5 1.62%
Atlanta 69 22.33%
Washington DC 6 1.94%
Charlotte 5 1.62%
El Paso 17 5.50%
San Antonio 19 6.15%
Colorado Springs 7 2.27%
Miami 151 48.87%
Voters: 309. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 07:28 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,954,464 times

Advertisements

I'm sure there aren't that many landslides, or brush fires in Compton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 07:37 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,668,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I'm sure there aren't that many landslides, or brush fires in Compton.
Yeah I'm not sure how you can have a landslide when there isn't any land the slopes downward. That makes zero sense.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:52 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,386,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Yeah I'm not sure how you can have a landslide when there isn't any land the slopes downward. That makes zero sense.
I dunno. Maybe its magic?

It's pretty funny because I actually live in an area where an earthquake is named after, and yet, landslides and brush fires are not even a high risk here.

You might as well say that Northridge has a high blizzard risk. Just as likely nowadays as a brush fire or a landslide.

I'm sure this will all work toward some conclusion about how LA and Houston are almost exactly alike, which can actually be proven without going on some unbelievably off-topic and factually impossible track.

Funniest part is that Houston isn't even among the above choices!

Last edited by Lifeshadower; 11-14-2012 at 08:01 PM..

Old 11-14-2012, 08:02 PM

886 posts, read 1,564,725 times
Chicago when you take out the core.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:43 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,863,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I see you bothered to read the disclaimer below it of which the second map illustrates.

This is a susceptibility map, not a hazard map. In other words, it does not take into consideration the occurrence of triggers of the potential landslides, which of course in this area are both intense rainfall and earthquakes.

You failed, move on.
What? Do you not see where the LA Basin is, it is completely white? Are you assuming that the LA basin is where it says "Los Angeles" on the map? Or that the Santa Monica Mountains (the red spot next to the LA Basin) are in fact the LA basin?

I'm just confused

Old 11-15-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR View Post
I see a lot of similarities between the two cities, especially in the outer inner-city neighborhoods (South Central LA - South Chicago, etc). Lots of high-density SFH neighborhoods in both cities too. The only issue with the comparison between Chicago and LA is that the very high-density neighborhoods look quite different (i.e. North Side of Chicago vs. Koreatown or Hollywood). I also see a lot of similarities between Los Angeles and Detroit - would probably be more obvious if inner Detroit wasn't so emptied out. Los Angeles has a lot of midwestern influence, which makes sense because a lot of its early population was made up of midwesterners.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:13 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I see a lot of similarities between the two cities, especially in the outer inner-city neighborhoods (South Central LA - South Chicago, etc). Lots of high-density SFH neighborhoods in both cities too. The only issue with the comparison between Chicago and LA is that the very high-density neighborhoods look quite different (i.e. North Side of Chicago vs. Koreatown or Hollywood). I also see a lot of similarities between Los Angeles and Detroit - would probably be more obvious if inner Detroit wasn't so emptied out. Los Angeles has a lot of midwestern influence, which makes sense because a lot of its early population was made up of midwesterners.
Other than "they both have single family homes" I don't see too much similarities. Random neighborhoods of each:

los angeles,ca - Google Maps

Chicago:

Chicago, IL - Google Maps

2nd Chicago neighborhood may be "core", looks almost slightly Boston-like. Los Angeles seems like it has more strip mall commercial development, Chicago has more than I guessed but still seems a lot less than Los Angeles. After looking through these streetviews, I kinda get with what you're saying. Both cities have many of their high density composed with detached single family homes. But there are also apartment buildings mixed in.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:48 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,668,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR View Post
When I visited Chicago I thought that too. I stayed with a friend in Lincoln Square and saw some of the outer neighborhoods and it reminded me of LA in a way. Lots of tightly packed SFH's and low rise apartment complexes with little yards and set backs, smaller pedestrian commercial corridors, and a surprising amount of strip malls.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Other than "they both have single family homes" I don't see too much similarities. Random neighborhoods of each:

Chicago:

2nd Chicago neighborhood may be "core", looks almost slightly Boston-like. Los Angeles seems like it has more strip mall commercial development, Chicago has more than I guessed but still seems a lot less than Los Angeles. After looking through these streetviews, I kinda get with what you're saying. Both cities have many of their high density composed with detached single family homes. But there are also apartment buildings mixed in.
Well the SFH themselves certainly look different, and it seems that they are slightly closer together in Chicago than in Los Angeles. I definitely don't think that Chicago would be the answer to this thread, just that the two cities seem to have more in common than a lot of people would think. Los Angeles definitely has more strip-mall development (especially in the lower-income neighborhoods), though like you said Chicago has more than I initially thought, while on the other hand Los Angeles has more street-front retail than I initially thought.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:16 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,954,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post

Chicago:

The 3rd LA link you posted looks pretty similar to thoroughfares throughout Miami. Heck, most of the ones I posted of Miami look kind of similar to both LA and Chicago.

miami - Google Maps

miami - Google Maps

miami - Google Maps

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=miami&...237.86,,0,7.14

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=miami&...131.75,,0,6.65
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City