Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city is most like Los Angeles?
Austin 12 3.88%
Denver 18 5.83%
Raleigh 5 1.62%
Atlanta 69 22.33%
Washington DC 6 1.94%
Charlotte 5 1.62%
El Paso 17 5.50%
San Antonio 19 6.15%
Colorado Springs 7 2.27%
Miami 151 48.87%
Voters: 309. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2019, 07:09 AM

2,427 posts, read 2,479,383 times

Advertisements

Miami, as far as the polls.. Major difference but very similar in a way.. Don't think any city can compare to LA though and every city is unique in their own way.. Miami is missing the Mountains and desert
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2019, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I was being hyperbolic with the port example to make a point.

Tennessee holds Nashville back in some ways, but it's absolutely NOTHING like the way Georgia holds Atlanta back and honestly I'm very surprised you'd say that. Nashville's image is essentially an amplification of Tennesse's image with its country music heritage and evangelical Christian culture; these things mesh very well with Tennessee's ideologically conservative nature so you're not seeing any real sociocultural clashes occurring between local and state leadership. The situation between Atlanta and Georgia is pretty much the exact opposite in every way. Atlanta is the big congested city run by liberal Blacks who use the airport as a cash cow for their Black buddies and those MARTA trains that Black criminals use to go to the good parts of town and rob hardworking, tax-paying citizens, and all those gays and lesbians with their parades and rainbow-painted crosswalks, and they love to promote liberal Hollywood values with all those movies being made there, plus they're talking about moving or altering statues and monuments of early city leaders and Confederate soldiers, and they have all those uncouth rappers, athletes, and strippers running around. The state of Georgia and the rural/exurban constituency that drives state politics, isn't about any of that stuff so they want to take away the airport from Atlanta, they have never provided any operational funding to MARTA since its inception, they pass controversial ultraconservative laws that the rural folks hope will chase Hollywood and other big liberal economic players from the state, and they want to make the law protecting Confederate monuments even stronger.

So nah, no sob stories for Nashville. Its relationship with its state has been quite congenial compared to majority Black major cities in the South, including neighboring Memphis. If Nashville were in the Northeast it would be a fundamentally different city with no country music heritage and or large evangelical Christian presence, two of its most defining characteristics. If it were in Texas, it would be Austin and there's not room for two of them in the same state. Nashville has been given about as good of a deal as one could reasonably expect.
Ummm,, Also I disagree that Nashville represents Tennessee image as a whole any more... The things I have seen on Broadway and around the city, wooow.. I see more of a Miami beach party image with out a beach with a twist of country in a Urban environment with all that I have seen but not what I would view Tennessee as a whole.. With all the partying I see very few thinking about church down there,,, may be the next day or Sunday to be fair,,lol

Old 12-18-2019, 10:08 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,353,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Not all the way true,,,
What's not all the way true?

Old 12-18-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
What's not all the way true?

All the musicians moving to Nashville are related to country and all musicians moving to Atlanta is related to rap.. Believe me, I do get the stigma of it all though

Old 12-18-2019, 11:12 AM

11,812 posts, read 8,023,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
If it were in Texas, it would be Austin and there's not room for two of them in the same state. Nashville has been given about as good of a deal as one could reasonably expect.
Admittedly I personally feel Texas doesn't really care about Austin very much either, displayed by its crappy infrastructure and utter chaotic clashes between left winged city leaders and right winged state leaders governed in the same city. Not on the same scale of Atlanta so to speak with the added hostility toward racial governance but - Austin wants to be more like California and Texas vomits alittle in the mouth at the very thought of it.

Quote:
I can kinda agree with you in some ways with this and some ways not so much!! I think Nashville kinda get's a some what slick pass with the Country music thing because most expect it to be a conservative music/movement ideal or genres but most don't realize its no more than Nashville tourist attraction in most ways and when they finally visit the city they find the city is much much than that and more liberal than they ever thought... I can honestly say Nashville plays the game well. It's funny because the city doesn't really care much or have high favor for this administration than the city of Atlanta does if not worse.. They protest in Nashville against quite often and no love lost....

https://fox17.com/news/local/baby-tr...e-this-weekend
&
Quote:
All the musicians moving to Nashville are related to country and all musicians moving to Atlanta is related to rap.. Believe me, I do get the stigma of it all though
Although I've passed through Nashville a few times fairly recently, I haven't had much time to take in anything new or explore much further than the Interstate routes. If you're stating Nashville is attracting rap / hip hop artists, especially in a similar way that Atlanta does, I would have a very very VERY hard time believing that, no offense... but can you provide any evidence Nashville is expanding 'significantly' outside of the country / christian, evangelical scene? Not that I'm against it but... I don't want to call an orange an apple either so to speak.

Old 12-18-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Nashville attracts country. That's it. I would never ever say Atlanta attracts only rap. I'm just saying that even for the musicians they attract, Atlanta's are more popular and prominent. Then, on top of that, Atlanta attracts a wider array of people. Therefore, Atlanta has the stronger celebrity scene than Nashville.

Old 12-18-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Admittedly I personally feel Texas doesn't really care about Austin very much either, displayed by its crappy infrastructure and utter chaotic clashes between left winged city leaders and right winged state leaders governed in the same city. Not on the same scale of Atlanta so to speak with the added hostility toward racial governance but - Austin wants to be more like California and Texas vomits alittle in the mouth at the very thought of it.

&

Although I've passed through Nashville a few times fairly recently, I haven't had much time to take in anything new or explore much further than the Interstate routes. If you're stating Nashville is attracting rap / hip hop artists, especially in a similar way that Atlanta does, I would have a very very VERY hard time believing that, no offense... but can you provide any evidence Nashville is expanding 'significantly' outside of the country / christian, evangelical scene? Not that I'm against it but... I don't want to call an orange an apple either so to speak.
Nashville attract a large amount of Urban acts, shows, etc.. You may have to explore the city for your self, listen to Urban radio on Iheart radio,, listen to all the happenings with in the city. Its funny because I noticed most people in GA don't realize Nashville has a good bit of urban acts, comedy shows, concerts going on in the city just like country does but a lot around other sectors of the US does. That attracts black celebs to the city.. I would suggest listening to 92Q Nashville on a regular as well.. You could learn a lot

Old 12-18-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Nashville attracts country. That's it. I would never ever say Atlanta attracts only rap. I'm just saying that even for the musicians they attract, Atlanta's are more popular and prominent. Then, on top of that, Atlanta attracts a wider array of people. Therefore, Atlanta has the stronger celebrity scene than Nashville.

Nashville does not just attract country only,, Its known for it but not exclusive Country.. There are plenty of Urban acts that come to Nashville and are still coming,, listen to 92Q on Iheart radio.. By the way I never said by any means a boatload of rappers are up and moving to the city,,,smh,,lol

Last edited by oobanks; 12-18-2019 at 11:51 AM..

Old 12-18-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Nashville does not just attract country only,, Its known for it but not exclusive Country.. There are plenty of Urban acts that come to Nashville and are still coming,, listen to 92Q on Iheart radio..
Then tell us, what celebrities live in Nashville that are unrelated to country music?

Old 12-18-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Then tell us, what celebrities live in Nashville that are unrelated to country music?
Read my previous post above
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City