Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city is most like Los Angeles?
Austin 12 3.88%
Denver 18 5.83%
Raleigh 5 1.62%
Atlanta 69 22.33%
Washington DC 6 1.94%
Charlotte 5 1.62%
El Paso 17 5.50%
San Antonio 19 6.15%
Colorado Springs 7 2.27%
Miami 151 48.87%
Voters: 309. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2019, 02:23 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,390,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It doesn't make much sense but some folks are convinced that Nashville is the second coming of every major urban center in America combined. No doubt it's doing very well for itself in a number of areas and will continue to do so, but I've never seen such a brazen display of unbridled boosterism in all my years on this site as I have this year of Nashville, and that's saying something considering my old-timer status around these parts. Someone could suggest that the port of NY/NJ be relocated to Nashville in a tongue-in-cheek manner and some boosters will actually attempt to make an argument for why and how it could happen.
The port being relocated is ridiculous assertion, most of the posts about Nashville although have been reasonable, though I'll agree that sometimes they have been maybe a little overboard with the enthusiasm about its growth. I honestly think the state of Tennessee holds Nashville back the same way Georgia holds Atlanta back. If Nashville were in the Northeast or even in Texas and kept the same attributes, and draw it has a city, I think you would see it grow even more rapidly and it would have probably become an entertainment/media hub that rivaled anyplace in the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2019, 03:01 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,341,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
Than country in the United States? I don't think so
https://www.businessinsider.com/hip-...nielsen-2018-1

Old 12-17-2019, 03:55 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
The port being relocated is ridiculous assertion, most of the posts about Nashville although have been reasonable, though I'll agree that sometimes they have been maybe a little overboard with the enthusiasm about its growth. I honestly think the state of Tennessee holds Nashville back the same way Georgia holds Atlanta back. If Nashville were in the Northeast or even in Texas and kept the same attributes, and draw it has a city, I think you would see it grow even more rapidly and it would have probably become an entertainment/media hub that rivaled anyplace in the U.S.
I was being hyperbolic with the port example to make a point.

Tennessee holds Nashville back in some ways, but it's absolutely NOTHING like the way Georgia holds Atlanta back and honestly I'm very surprised you'd say that. Nashville's image is essentially an amplification of Tennesse's image with its country music heritage and evangelical Christian culture; these things mesh very well with Tennessee's ideologically conservative nature so you're not seeing any real sociocultural clashes occurring between local and state leadership. The situation between Atlanta and Georgia is pretty much the exact opposite in every way. Atlanta is the big congested city run by liberal Blacks who use the airport as a cash cow for their Black buddies and those MARTA trains that Black criminals use to go to the good parts of town and rob hardworking, tax-paying citizens, and all those gays and lesbians with their parades and rainbow-painted crosswalks, and they love to promote liberal Hollywood values with all those movies being made there, plus they're talking about moving or altering statues and monuments of early city leaders and Confederate soldiers, and they have all those uncouth rappers, athletes, and strippers running around. The state of Georgia and the rural/exurban constituency that drives state politics, isn't about any of that stuff so they want to take away the airport from Atlanta, they have never provided any operational funding to MARTA since its inception, they pass controversial ultraconservative laws that the rural folks hope will chase Hollywood and other big liberal economic players from the state, and they want to make the law protecting Confederate monuments even stronger.

So nah, no sob stories for Nashville. Its relationship with its state has been quite congenial compared to majority Black major cities in the South, including neighboring Memphis. If Nashville were in the Northeast it would be a fundamentally different city with no country music heritage and or large evangelical Christian presence, two of its most defining characteristics. If it were in Texas, it would be Austin and there's not room for two of them in the same state. Nashville has been given about as good of a deal as one could reasonably expect.

Old 12-17-2019, 03:58 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Than country in the United States? I don't think so
You should: https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...why/990873001/

Old 12-17-2019, 04:02 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,652 times
This thread is getting a little out of hand, but a LOT funny.

Old 12-18-2019, 05:39 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,227,961 times
Dallas.. Bridges everywhere and a million and two suburbs.

Old 12-18-2019, 06:48 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,474,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Yeah. What non-country music celebrities are hanging around Nashville these days? Hip hop is now the highest selling genre in the U.S., so it stands to reason that the typical hip hop celebrity will be more recognizable than the typical country music celebrity.

https://djbooth.net/features/2019-09...s-in-the-2020s

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...why/990873001/

There are some, it may not be the majority but you have none county artist moving and live in Nashville.. The Winans/gospel and Jill Scott which is r&b to name a few. Gospel is a major genres as well and many of music genres come to the city to record there music, not just country.. The world has come a lot more main stream and integrated than you would think, believe it or not and more people across the board work together than you would even imagine... Young Buck is even back on the move after his hard ships. I can honestly see a true culture change and more of an integration in Nashville IMO and I can see why Nashville is truly Music city more than the Country music city perception most would like to give.

https://www.nashvillescene.com/music...essee-and-more

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/hi...c-in-nashville

Old 12-18-2019, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Lol yeah all the musicians moving to Nashville are related to country. At least if we're going to argue that everyone moving to Atlanta is related to rap, rap is far more popular and widespread.

Not all the way true,,,

Old 12-18-2019, 06:55 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,699,271 times
Of the list, Miami followed by Atlanta.

Old 12-18-2019, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I was being hyperbolic with the port example to make a point.

Tennessee holds Nashville back in some ways, but it's absolutely NOTHING like the way Georgia holds Atlanta back and honestly I'm very surprised you'd say that. Nashville's image is essentially an amplification of Tennesse's image with its country music heritage and evangelical Christian culture; these things mesh very well with Tennessee's ideologically conservative nature so you're not seeing any real sociocultural clashes occurring between local and state leadership. The situation between Atlanta and Georgia is pretty much the exact opposite in every way. Atlanta is the big congested city run by liberal Blacks who use the airport as a cash cow for their Black buddies and those MARTA trains that Black criminals use to go to the good parts of town and rob hardworking, tax-paying citizens, and all those gays and lesbians with their parades and rainbow-painted crosswalks, and they love to promote liberal Hollywood values with all those movies being made there, plus they're talking about moving or altering statues and monuments of early city leaders and Confederate soldiers, and they have all those uncouth rappers, athletes, and strippers running around. The state of Georgia and the rural/exurban constituency that drives state politics, isn't about any of that stuff so they want to take away the airport from Atlanta, they have never provided any operational funding to MARTA since its inception, they pass controversial ultraconservative laws that the rural folks hope will chase Hollywood and other big liberal economic players from the state, and they want to make the law protecting Confederate monuments even stronger.

So nah, no sob stories for Nashville. Its relationship with its state has been quite congenial compared to majority Black major cities in the South, including neighboring Memphis. If Nashville were in the Northeast it would be a fundamentally different city with no country music heritage and or large evangelical Christian presence, two of its most defining characteristics. If it were in Texas, it would be Austin and there's not room for two of them in the same state. Nashville has been given about as good of a deal as one could reasonably expect.
I can kinda agree with you in some ways with this and some ways not so much!! I think Nashville kinda get's a some what slick pass with the Country music thing because most expect it to be a conservative music/movement ideal or genres but most don't realize its no more than Nashville tourist attraction in most ways and when they finally visit the city they find the city is much much than that and more liberal than they ever thought... I can honestly say Nashville plays the game well. It's funny because the city doesn't really care much or have high favor for this administration than the city of Atlanta does if not worse.. They protest in Nashville against quite often and no love lost....

https://fox17.com/news/local/baby-tr...e-this-weekend
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City