Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city is most like Los Angeles?
Austin 12 3.88%
Denver 18 5.83%
Raleigh 5 1.62%
Atlanta 69 22.33%
Washington DC 6 1.94%
Charlotte 5 1.62%
El Paso 17 5.50%
San Antonio 19 6.15%
Colorado Springs 7 2.27%
Miami 151 48.87%
Voters: 309. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2019, 10:53 AM

11,812 posts, read 8,018,631 times

Advertisements

Los Angeles is it's own entity that isnt easily replicated by another metro. Austin while carrying a California vibe, more resembles the San Francisco metro than it does Los Angeles. Atlanta carrys a strong filming industry but still resembles much of a historic town than a Pacific city. Miami I would guess is the winner because Palms, Beaches, freeways, organized gangs / territory, amplified night life but is still nothing at all like LA IMO.

There is nothing else in the country like Los Angeles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2019, 12:14 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,353,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Los Angeles is it's own entity that isnt easily replicated by another metro. Austin while carrying a California vibe, more resembles the San Francisco metro than it does Los Angeles. Atlanta carrys a strong filming industry but still resembles much of a historic town than a Pacific city. Miami I would guess is the winner because Palms, Beaches, freeways, organized gangs / territory, amplified night life but is still nothing at all like LA IMO.

There is nothing else in the country like Los Angeles.
Agreed. It's very unique, yet at the same time shares a lot of aspects with other cities on this list.

It has the suburban lifestyle and liberalism of Austin, yet Austin is definitely more techie, more college town, and more Southern/Texan.

With countless Angelenos relocating to Denver, they share a lot of characteristics. But the Denver social scene, its urban structure, its architecture, its economy, and more is just very different from LA. Lots of people movement between the two, but not as much ~vibe~ sharing.

I don't see similarities with Raleigh, unless we're comparing how both are a collection of cities pieced together into one large metro. But that's a stretch.

Atlanta I see with the heavy suburbanization, car culture, entertainment scene (filming/music/fashion). In the way that LA is the hub of Mexican culture and heavily influences Latinx culture, Atlanta influences black culture as a hub of African-Americans. But their suburban patterns are different and urbanity is better in LA.

I don't see similarities with DC.

I don't see similarities with Charlotte.

El Paso and San Antonio share the Mexican history/culture, but neither really gives off an LA vibe and both seem to still give off a Tejano vibe. Mexican vibes in California are more authentically Mexican, yet very Californian at the same time.

Colorado Springs? Idk how.

I voted Miami. Like Atlanta, it has suburbanization, car culture, entertainment scenes. But while Atlanta is heavy on the black culture, Miami is heavy on the Latin culture, which is more similar to LA. Also, both have somewhat of a beach culture to them, though Miami's is heavier.

Yet still, Miami is really not that similar at all. It's just the closest similarity outside of SoCal.

Old 12-04-2019, 01:04 PM

7,411 posts, read 6,556,774 times
^ ^ ^

Let me go into a little more detail of some areas of Miami that remind me a little bit of LA—some might be a slight exaggeration, but not THAT much of one.

1. South Beach / Santa Monica—similarities include outdoor Lincoln Road Mall and 3rd Street Promenade; Washington Blvd kinda reminds me a little of Santa Monica Blvd; Sunset Harbour kinda reminds me a little bit of Montana Ave.

2. Hollywood, FL has a Venice vibe to it

3. Brickell has a similar feel to Century City / portions of Wiltshire Blvd

4. Star Island, Palm Island, Hibiscus Island etc feel like a slightly more upscale version of the Naples section of Long Beach

5. SoBe’s West Avenue reminds me a little bit of Playa del Rey

6. Fisher Island is a more exclusive version of Catalina Island.

7. Parts of Coral Gables have a bit of a Pasadena vibe (“old moneyâ€)

Old 12-04-2019, 03:48 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,677,344 times
Not to be one of those-but I don't see Dallas and Houston on this list and feel they would fit the billing pretty strongly. That said, out of this grouping, and perhaps overall, Miami-I'd agree with the well stated comparisons by El Chevere

Old 12-04-2019, 05:08 PM

12 posts, read 7,839 times
When I look at Dallas honestly think of LA's sloped dt skyline, also Houston has a similar skyline and sprawl (leapfrog) of buildings spread out from it's core. So why neither of those two were on the list is kind of funny since their skylines and culture are very similar.

Old 12-04-2019, 05:24 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,393,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Not to be one of those-but I don't see Dallas and Houston on this list and feel they would fit the billing pretty strongly. That said, out of this grouping, and perhaps overall, Miami-I'd agree with the well stated comparisons by El Chevere
I've heard Dallas be referred to before as a "fake want to be LA"

Old 12-04-2019, 05:34 PM

12 posts, read 7,839 times
But I look again and Houston skyline is classic Los Angeles style, building colors and all. By far the closest aesthetically.

Old 12-04-2019, 05:54 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,520,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Within this list, I'd say Miami due to the predominance of Latin American culture there. Obviously they're different Latin cultures with the Mexicans dominating Los Angeles while Cubans dominate Miami (though Los Angeles still has a much larger American element and Americans still predominate in many parts of Greater LA. ) Miami is totally a Latin American city while Los Angeles is a cross between an American city and a Latin city.

Outside of this poll, I would say that San Diego, Las Vegas, and Phoenix are more like LA than Miami due to the climate and architecture.
Miami and Orlando are dominated also by Puerto Ricans.

Old 12-04-2019, 05:59 PM

11,812 posts, read 8,018,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
In terms of sprawl and freeways - it reminds me alittle of inland empire but in general doesn't really resemble much of LA to me.

Old 12-04-2019, 06:04 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,556,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
Miami and Orlando are dominated also by Puerto Ricans.
Miami is not dominated by Puerto Ricans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City