Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 09:26 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,536,616 times

Advertisements

Canada and Russia are flyover countries
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...PolarRoute.png
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 10:40 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,451,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Not that I am protesting but what makes Des Moines better than the cities listed below them. I would think Des Moines would be more along the levels of Wichita and Little Rock but I am curious as to your logic.
Des Moines is so far beyond Wichita and Little Rock it's hardly worth arguing! They're all roughly the same size, but Des Moines is easily a tier above, level with Omaha and Madison. It beats Tulsa and OKC for me because of how gigantically socially conservative Oklahoma is. Omaha and Kansas City are a personal preference. I like all three cities, but Des Moines has the best combination of location+economy+politics.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:12 PM

934 posts, read 1,445,851 times
This summer I am considering taking a trip around the Midwest starting in Indy up to the Sleeping Bear Dunes, over to the Apostle Islands, down to the Twin Cities, west to the Black Hills, across the Kansas Konza into KC to visit family and then back to Indy again.

One thing about the Midwest is that many travel-worthy spot are far apart, so if you hate driving for long amounts of time, it can be difficult. But still I think there are many worth while places to visit. I need to return back to Chicago during all this traveling, such an amazing city.

Last edited by thefallensrvnge; 11-16-2012 at 11:23 PM..

Old 11-17-2012, 01:01 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,212,305 times
^not as bad as the West!

Old 11-17-2012, 10:28 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,946,285 times
Never thought of Des Moines being the same size as Wichita and Little Rock, it sure acts and feels bigger than those other two.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:46 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,451,243 times
It's actually smaller than both by about 100k.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:55 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,946,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
It's actually smaller than both by about 100k.
I'm a solid demographic nerd and visit most sizable metros across the country at least every 2-3 years and I had to look up the populations of these cities after you said that and you are right (sorry I doubted you haha).

Interesting. Des Monies is far more progressive, active and just feels like a larger city to me then Little Rock and especially Wichita.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:39 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,433,404 times
When I think "flyover country" I think the Great Plains: vast distances and small cities where locals chose McBurbs instead of valuing their cities. Parking lots are a dominant feature of downtown and great walkable neighborhoods are few and far between. They certainly haven't invested in much in re-urbanizing as they have in suburbanizing and it shows. Downtowns are almost a Disneylandzation of urban living: they're a lone showpiece and then there's nothing else. OKC, outside of a downtown cluster of bars and restaurants is full of ugly. I'm a believer that the general local culture of a city is reflected in the physical environment and the Great Plains by and large live up to the "flyover" label because they want to: pride in ignorance and zealous restraint explains why these cities are so flat despite their population sizes. They're full of people who don't know how to live, but merely exist.

Bright spots seem to pale in comparison to population size: Fargo has a few urban coffee shops, one for each third of the population, and plenty of generic bars. Omaha has a three story gay club downtown, which I wouldn't have guessed, but very little is walkable outside of Downtown save the Benson neighborhood. Little Rock has a streetcar. Indy is basically the easternmost outpost in an extension of the plains and shares more in common there than with the Great Lakes or river cities in the region. They'd make for an interesting stop on the way to somewhere else, but they lack livability. Outside of the middle of the country you get cities like Minneapolis and Denver which let you know that without a doubt you're no longer in flyover country.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:56 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,391,663 times
These cities and many others that aren't mentioned are considered fly over cities by popular media and a large amount of the countries population and that's why these cities are perfect for enjoying a good quality of life.

I've lived in Chicago, Seattle metro, Denver, Helena Montana and Miami but I was raised in the St. Louis Mo area.

Living in a non descript seemingly faceless city is perfect for those that value a quality of life that is not dependent upon the number of nightclubs, the latest in bistro offerings and the shallowness of the " see and be seen crowd that does nothing more than raise the cost of living in the trendy big city your residing in at the time.

I'll take fly over any day.

Old 11-17-2012, 05:29 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,225,324 times
I would say east Texas, new mexico, The great Plain states (Kansas, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota)
Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Most of Nevada (except for Reno and las Vegas), Anything west of Minneapolis, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama and Oklahoma are usually considered "Fly Over Country". I can agree with most of this because these areas are pretty desolate but it really depends on the person.

One can easily find just as much amusement in NYC as one could find in the Yellowstone national park or as much fun in the Rockies as in Hollywood. It really depends on the person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City