Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the most beautiful city in the USA
New York 34 10.79%
Chicago 22 6.98%
Boston 20 6.35%
Seattle 40 12.70%
San Francisco 67 21.27%
San Diego 10 3.17%
Los Angeles 11 3.49%
Denver 6 1.90%
Dallas 1 0.32%
Atlanta 7 2.22%
Miami 7 2.22%
Charlotte 3 0.95%
Detroit 1 0.32%
Las Vegas 0 0%
Phoenix 6 1.90%
Philadelphia 5 1.59%
Washington 10 3.17%
Anchorage 8 2.54%
Cleveland 1 0.32%
Honolulu 8 2.54%
Minneapolis 4 1.27%
New Orleans 7 2.22%
Portland 4 1.27%
San Jose 1 0.32%
Indianapolis 1 0.32%
Houston 4 1.27%
Austin 4 1.27%
San Antonio 1 0.32%
Pittsburgh 8 2.54%
other 14 4.44%
Voters: 315. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 05:25 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
A lot of Austin's attractions are really close together, but that city is anything but walkable. Austinites like to pretend they're an exception to all the rules of the Sunbelt, but that city sprawls just as bad as any other. Plus 35 by downtown is always backed up at the most unbelievable hours.

But like you said it's all in what each person prefers. I personally don't need walkable neighborhoods and honestly have no use for them.

Ga Tech is beautiful. So is Spelman, Emory, Oglethorpe, and Morris Brown had some nice structures also.
I never try to pretend. I know we're just like any other sunbelt city, we sprawl. But most of us dont care, we just do us. Im talking as if I still live there, when I live in NC now.LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 05:57 PM

85 posts, read 166,900 times
New York is pretty? Pretty ugly anyway. I am surprised any one is even voting for New York. Don't get me wrong I like New York and it's urban-ness, but it comes no where near the terms of beauty. Maybe in a architectural sense or aesthetic stand point, but not straight on beauty. Beauty is what you see in cities like San Francisco and Miami they have natrual beauty and man made all together, New York has grit and trash and concret, how aspiring. New York is a great place, but come on.

Last edited by Rush Hour; 04-30-2009 at 06:33 PM..

Old 04-30-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
no offense, but with all the other beautiful places in California, LA's only contender is Austin???

while i can say with certainty that Austin is the most beautiful major city in Texas, it's not even close to being one of the most beautiful in the country.
Los Angeles is a beautiful place it's just, other people wouldn't think so because they would just focus on LA smog (which has gotten better and is not even that bad anymore) and other sterotypes about LA. If you got to actually know LA you'll see that it is beautiful. It's got gorgeous mountains beautiful beaches and everyhing it's just that LA is a harder city to come to terms with and actually like it. Los Angeles is not one big tourist trap like San Diego and San Francisco where you only see there beautiful sides because that's were all the tourist stuff is at, but rather just the opposite. To get to a nice part you have to trek through a gritty one and overall assumptions can come to the conclusion that Los Angeles is Ugly.

Last edited by Rush Hour; 04-30-2009 at 06:40 PM..

Old 04-30-2009, 07:13 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,020,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush Hour View Post
New York is pretty? Pretty ugly anyway. I am surprised any one is even voting for New York. Don't get me wrong I like New York and it's urban-ness, but it comes no where near the terms of beauty. Maybe in a architectural sense or aesthetic stand point, but not straight on beauty. Beauty is what you see in cities like San Francisco and Miami they have natrual beauty and man made all together, New York has grit and trash and concret, how aspiring. New York is a great place, but come on.
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. From my point of view you have to see the city yourself as i did, well cause i live here, but there is some natural beauty in the city going North in the Bronx and the Hudson Valley which is really beautiful then the beaches and and forest on long island. NYC is not some dirty city. Old buildings so what, London and Rome has old(older at that) buildings. Concrete with tree lined streets which compliment the architecture. Trash? Generalization. Youre telling me there is trash in 304 sq mi of land. Maybe in main areas. I mean NYC is clean for a city of its stature. look at Midtown. Yeah its dirty but if you have 8 million people in a city and huge percent of those people go to midtown, then you have those in the metro area of 18-21 million people who come to midtown, and 45 million visitors who come to the city every year.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityGuy View Post
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. From my point of view you have to see the city yourself as i did, well cause i live here, but there is some natural beauty in the city going North in the Bronx and the Hudson Valley which is really beautiful then the beaches and and forest on long island. NYC is not some dirty city. Old buildings so what, London and Rome has old(older at that) buildings. Concrete with tree lined streets which compliment the architecture. Trash? Generalization. Youre telling me there is trash in 304 sq mi of land. Maybe in main areas. I mean NYC is clean for a city of its stature. look at Midtown. Yeah its dirty but if you have 8 million people in a city and huge percent of those people go to midtown, then you have those in the metro area of 18-21 million people who come to midtown, and 45 million visitors who come to the city every year.
I am not trying to bash new York cause I really like it, and yeah Rome and London have there areas too. I guess I used to much exaggeration go NYC.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:44 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,833,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I never try to pretend. I know we're just like any other sunbelt city, we sprawl. But most of us dont care, we just do us. Im talking as if I still live there, when I live in NC now.LOL
I was wondering if someone would catch that comment I made lol. I should have said some Austinites. Not all of course.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:
I was wondering if someone would catch that comment I made lol. I should have said some Austinites. Not all of course.
No problem, I see what you meant, there are SOME that try to act like we're one of those "dense" cities. But they need to take pride in Austin and it's "sunbeltness" whatever that means, I just made it up. And once again I said we're as if I still live there, I wish I still lived there. I live in Charlotte now, not a bad city, but I just really like Austin, and TX, and CA, and FLA.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
No problem, I see what you meant, there are SOME that try to act like we're one of those "dense" cities. But they need to take pride in Austin and it's "sunbeltness" whatever that means, I just made it up. And once again I said we're as if I still live there, I wish I still lived there. I live in Charlotte now, not a bad city, but I just really like Austin, and TX, and CA, and FLA.
Well if you haven't been back to Austin within the past two or three years you might not recognize it lol. Downtown is becoming so awesome. I don't live there but I travel thru it about twice a month

Old 05-01-2009, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Well if you haven't been back to Austin within the past two or three years you might not recognize it lol. Downtown is becoming so awesome. I don't live there but I travel thru it about twice a month
Yeah, I havent been there in 5yrs, I heard it REALLY, REALLY changed. Do you live in Texas?

Old 05-01-2009, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I havent been there in 5yrs, I heard it REALLY, REALLY changed. Do you live in Texas?
Yep Temple. I go thru Austin on my way to San antonio all the time.

But yeah Austin probably has the best skyline in Texas now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City