Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Houston surpass Chicago as the 3rd largest city by 2020?
Yes 497 41.49%
No 701 58.51%
Voters: 1198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 10:51 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,747,626 times

Advertisements

Guys lets face it....

Houston-Galveston, and New Orleans, along with Miami, NEVER should have been built as major cities. This was bound to happen and it will happen again.

After Katrina, New Orleans lost 200,000 population if I recall in metro? Now NO has finally recovered and I think gained since pre Katrina levels. What will this do to Houston in the next 5 years? How about the next 10?

I hate to bring this up, but what metro stands to gain the most from a Houston exodus in the near term? I certainly think OKC will be the big gainer here surprisingly, especially with its energy ties.

And also of course Austin and Dallas will see alot.

But as in Katrina, we will see cities further afield get Houston transplants. Louisville got thousands from Katrina. Many stayed. I fully expect Houston refugees coming to Louisville, Memphis, Nashville, Atlanta, etc. I have a feeling those that leave will avoid the Gulf coast and FL, but I doubt they will tolerate the Midwest or north.

In the meantime, I sure hope this isn't as bad as Katrina. I was in Austin at the time, and actually came to volunteer in the 9th ward. I still have a property in the Marigny from that. That's been a great real estate play. It still breaks my heart!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 10:55 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,293,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Guys lets face it....

Houston-Galveston, and New Orleans, along with Miami, NEVER should have been built as major cities. This was bound to happen and it will happen again.

After Katrina, New Orleans lost 200,000 population if I recall in metro? Now NO has finally recovered and I think gained since pre Katrina levels. What will this do to Houston in the next 5 years? How about the next 10?

I hate to bring this up, but what metro stands to gain the most from a Houston exodus in the near term? I certainly think OKC will be the big gainer here surprisingly, especially with its energy ties.

And also of course Austin and Dallas will see alot.

But as in Katrina, we will see cities further afield get Houston transplants. Louisville got thousands from Katrina. Many stayed. I fully expect Houston refugees coming to Louisville, Memphis, Nashville, Atlanta, etc. I have a feeling those that leave will avoid the Gulf coast and FL, but I doubt they will tolerate the Midwest or north.

In the meantime, I sure hope this isn't as bad as Katrina. I was in Austin at the time, and actually came to volunteer in the 9th ward. I still have a property in the Marigny from that. That's been a great real estate play. It still breaks my heart!
You're basically saying coastal cities shouldn't exist. There's a reason coastal cities boomed around the turn of the century. Houston is a different case since it's a sunbelt city. I still think it's too early to say how many people will leave Houston.

Old 08-29-2017, 10:58 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,747,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
You're basically saying coastal cities shouldn't exist. There's a reason coastal cities boomed around the turn of the century. Houston is a different case since it's a sunbelt city.
No....I am saying coastal cities in flood plains should not exist. And those in 50 year category 5 hurricane paths.

Don't forget, Galveston was the major city in south texas, long before Houston. And we all know what happened to Galveston.

Hurricane Harvey and the Deadly Galveston Hurricane of 1900 | Time.com

Harvey will happen again. It's not IF, but WHEN. That's sad to me.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:14 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
Y'all are sad, but are trynna call me out for being positive for Houston's future!

Old 08-29-2017, 11:24 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,244,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Y'all are sad, but are trynna call me out for being positive for Houston's future!
As long as Corporate America choses Houston and Texas (for no taxation) over Northern cities? Your future is more secure...... just not from these disasters. It will remind always be prone too till better choices in building and where are at least made to cause less damage by preventative measures that cost more money.

Get more homes off slabs not ground-level living floors as standard because its cheaper and more ..... Rebuild better to spare your homes much better as storms and hurricanes will come again.

Last edited by DavePa; 08-29-2017 at 11:33 PM..

Old 08-29-2017, 11:52 PM

346 posts, read 456,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I'm with you. I am not originally from Houston, but I have found it to be an enormously resourceful city and I seriously doubt there will be an exodus from there due to this storm. The refineries aren't going anyplace, they weren't impacted significantly, and with that the mainstay of Houston's gigantic economy and source of good paying jobs will remain as well.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:52 PM

8,865 posts, read 6,869,333 times
Whether there's an exodus depends on a lot of things. The more likely scenario to me is that things become a bit more expensive and people become a bit more wary, and those put a bit of a damper on growth.

Why more expensive? Maybe land is less available due to some movement in flood zone maps, insurance prices rise a bit, construction codes get a little more stringent, flood-resistant methods become more preferable to individuals/companies, and so on. Meanwhile residents and companies will probably be a bit less willing to trust the city with their money.

There are always silver linings. One is the huge volume of construction that should follow, much of it based on money flowing in from outside -- insurers, the federal government, the state, donors, national companies with local operations, etc.

And there are challenges. There will likely be at least a temporary move by many companies to locate movable operations outside the area.

The main theme will be unforeseen consequences.

Old 08-30-2017, 01:15 AM

9,682 posts, read 9,398,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felt38 View Post
I'm with you. I am not originally from Houston, but I have found it to be an enormously resourceful city and I seriously doubt there will be an exodus from there due to this storm. The refineries aren't going anyplace, they weren't impacted significantly, and with that the mainstay of Houston's gigantic economy and source of good paying jobs will remain as well.
I wouldn't hold my breath.

Old 08-30-2017, 04:45 AM

346 posts, read 456,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I wouldn't hold my breath.
I don't understand what you are addressing...meaning the industry won't move or..... they dismantle tens of billions of dollars of facilities that are working well even now, on one of the largest harbors in the US where they have access to abundant shipping, and move somewhere northward? What body of water is safe these days?

Houston will get through what you are seeing now. It grew rapidly after Ike (the third most costly hurricane in history at that time) and it will still grow, as long as oil remains the primary source of energy for the world.

Old 08-30-2017, 05:28 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
No....I am saying coastal cities in flood plains should not exist. And those in 50 year category 5 hurricane paths.

Don't forget, Galveston was the major city in south texas, long before Houston. And we all know what happened to Galveston.

Hurricane Harvey and the Deadly Galveston Hurricane of 1900 | Time.com

Harvey will happen again. It's not IF, but WHEN. That's sad to me.
Galveston was not really that much major or larger than Houston from 1850-1900. In fact, Houston already passed Galveston population by the time the hurricane happened that year. But they were always near the same size and San Antonio was more of a major city in South Texas than Galveston was. Houston has more resources to stop it from being what Katrina was to New Orleans or even that 1900 hurricane. The problem with Houston was just part bad development. While flooding always occurred, much of this could have been held in check if developers simply didn't build in flood plains, marshes, wetlands, etc. I don't see a mass exodus like people are saying. If anything, a slow down in population growth could happen. But Louisville, Memphis, etc. would be lucky to see hundreds relocate there instead of thousands. From what I've read, the waters are already receding in Houston since the rain stopped last night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City