Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Houston surpass Chicago as the 3rd largest city by 2020?
Yes 497 41.49%
No 701 58.51%
Voters: 1198. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-29-2017, 12:01 AM

1,795 posts, read 1,876,783 times

Advertisements

Why would any city want to grow as large as Chicago and Houston, sounds more like a curse than a blessing to me but keep arguing back and back over something so trivial.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 08:21 AM

4,399 posts, read 4,288,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
And you just became THE biggest, most irrational Houston homer of all time with this post.

If you honestly believe this, I feel sorry for you.
Oh boy

Old 08-29-2017, 09:29 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,218,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I think many of you want this weather event to slow down Houston's growth. Ain't gone happen!
The city is in the midst of a crisis and this is all you can think about?! How ignorant and homerish of you. How about you go worry about helping your neighbors instead of boasting about trivial, stupid things like this.

Last edited by biscuit_head; 08-29-2017 at 10:46 AM..

Old 08-29-2017, 10:23 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
I'm just gutted by the pictures and stories coming out Houston. What's scarier is that this is like the third "historic 100 year flood" to hit the city in the last few years. As a climate scientist said on CNN last night, there has to be a point when we stop calling these storms "historic" and accept them as the unfortunate new normal.

I have every confidence that Houston will bounce back from this though and, hopefully, use this catastrophe to build a city that is better equipped to handle situations such as this. Obviously the way the city has been built up until this point is no longer viable, but it is hardly insurmountable.

If you are a homer that feels this type of view is akin to "picking on Houston" please go away. This is not the time for pettiness (on either side) since we are dealing the long term viability of one of America's greatest cities. Every American has a vested interest in seeing Houston remaining strong, even if they have never stepped foot in the town.

This is also an issue bigger than Houston. The biggest challenge to all American cities in the coming century is how they deal with climate change. We must work together to find solutions, especially in light of the fact that our national government at the moment thinks that climate change is just a bunch of bologna.

Old 08-29-2017, 10:42 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,872,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lugo1978 View Post
Lol climate change has flooded Houston in 2017
The context of the conversation was ONLY focused on rising sea levels over the longer course of time. Not due to an individual incident (which is due to increased hurricane activity), where water levels will empty into the ocean.

Last edited by AJNEOA; 08-29-2017 at 10:53 AM..

Old 08-29-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I'm just gutted by the pictures and stories coming out Houston. What's scarier is that this is like the third "historic 100 year flood" to hit the city in the last few years. As a climate scientist said on CNN last night, there has to be a point when we stop calling these storms "historic" and accept them as the unfortunate new normal.

I have every confidence that Houston will bounce back from this though and, hopefully, use this catastrophe to build a city that is better equipped to handle situations such as this. Obviously the way the city has been built up until this point is no longer viable, but it is hardly insurmountable.

If you are a homer that feels this type of view is akin to "picking on Houston" please go away. This is not the time for pettiness (on either side) since we are dealing the long term viability of one of America's greatest cities. Every American has a vested interest in seeing Houston remaining strong, even if they have never stepped foot in the town.

This is also an issue bigger than Houston. The biggest challenge to all American cities in the coming century is how they deal with climate change. We must work together to find solutions, especially in light of the fact that our national government at the moment thinks that climate change is just a bunch of bologna.
It will only cease to be bologna if there's money to be made. Anyone who's paying attention can see the scientific argument, just like anyone's who's paying attention can see that American-style development is insanely expensive and not practical, especially given the financial state of the USA. Won't make a bit of difference though, because everyone is too divided and interested in THEIR stake. Jobs, healthcare, education, strong immigration policies, infrastructure (healthy, good train service, a road network that makes sense, etc.) is all hacked apart nationwide. F*** it.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:03 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post

I hope Houston recovers....but is it that great of a place to live given the swamp and floods like this? There are several mid south and Midwest cities with tens of thousands of open jobs, begging for transplants. If I lived in Houston I would strongly consider moving. There's a number of Midwest and Mid South cities who need the population growth with open jobs....Memphis, STL, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Detroit, Louisville, Birmingham come to mind.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:13 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
I hope Houston recovers....but is it that great of a place to live given the swamp and floods like this? There are several mid south and Midwest cities with tens of thousands of open jobs, begging for transplants. If I lived in Houston I would strongly consider moving. There's a number of Midwest and Mid South cities who need the population growth with open jobs....Memphis, STL, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Detroit, Louisville, Birmingham come to mind.
yes. next question.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:16 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
It will only cease to be bologna if there's money to be made. Anyone who's paying attention can see the scientific argument, just like anyone's who's paying attention can see that American-style development is insanely expensive and not practical, especially given the financial state of the USA. Won't make a bit of difference though, because everyone is too divided and interested in THEIR stake. Jobs, healthcare, education, strong immigration policies, infrastructure (healthy, good train service, a road network that makes sense, etc.) is all hacked apart nationwide. F*** it.
Can't tell people anything. So many people are dying to have that 40 acres and a mule literally. The way the US has built their cities the last few decades have been unsustainable. In Houston's case, this could have been handled far better if the city actually planned accordingly and actually respected the natural location it is in.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Can't tell people anything. So many people are dying to have that 40 acres and a mule literally. The way the US has built their cities the last few decades have been unsustainable. In Houston's case, this could have been handled far better if the city actually planned accordingly and actually respected the natural location it is in.
Amen brother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City