Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2012, 01:24 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times

Advertisements

Well Unlike Philidelphians who canceled an Eagles game and shut down Septa because they got 8 inches of snow last year, we actually Enjoy New England during the winter, which in Both cities is about 4 months long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 06:50 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,167,631 times
I'd like to add, is Philadelphia or Boston better in finding a potential mate? And, what about their city centers; which do you like the best?

Old 08-30-2013, 02:44 PM

28 posts, read 65,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
I'd like to add, is Philadelphia or Boston better in finding a potential mate? And, what about their city centers; which do you like the best?
Being happily married I can't comment on the first question, but as for which city center is better, in my opinion it's Boston by a wide margin. Comparing the Boston Hub (downtown crossing, back back/copley square/beacon hill) to Center City (rittenhouse square, south street, old city), the HUB comes out far more vibrant, clean, and safe. The retail scene in Boston is far superior to Philly's and the stores in the Boston HUB stay open later every evening than they do in Center City. As an example the Macy's in Center City closes at 8:00 every day (7 on Sunday), while the one in downtown Boston stays open until 10:00 every day (9 on Sunday). Boston has a great downtown 1st run, conventional movie theater, while in Philly you have to travel outside of Center City (north, south, west, or jersey) to find this type of movie theater.
Center City does have several "art-house/independent" movie theaters, but sometimes you do want to watch the every day movies too.

Finally I also appreciate that most folks in Boston do not "hero-worship" New York City, while too many in Center City do.

Ken

Old 08-30-2013, 03:52 PM

32,104 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krapug1 View Post
Finally I also appreciate that most folks in Boston do not "hero-worship" New York City, while too many in Center City do.
Uh, yeah. And you don't think there are just as many Bostonians jock-riding NYC? Give me a break.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:10 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,856,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krapug1 View Post

Ken
I don't think Boston is any different in this regard (you don't find many in Center City "hero-worship"ing NYC).

And is an extra two hours of Macy's matter much at all? The better question is which store is better (better merchandise, more beautiful, etc.).

Old 08-30-2013, 05:14 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
I don't think Boston is any different in this regard (you don't find many in Center City "hero-worship"ing NYC).

And is an extra two hours of Macy's matter much at all? The better question is which store is better (better merchandise, more beautiful, etc.).
Also and this from someone who really likes and enjoys Boston, to me CC has surpassed DT Boston in vibrancy in the evening (macy's open or not). Not something I would have said 20 years but today, yes

Also Boston does have better retail DT, no doubt - Philly has better nightlife and restaurants these days though - pick your poison

Old 08-30-2013, 07:03 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times

Budweiser Made In America Festival 2013 August 31 - September 1 - YouTube

Old 09-01-2013, 09:59 PM

233 posts, read 368,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Also and this from someone who really likes and enjoys Boston, to me CC has surpassed DT Boston in vibrancy in the evening (macy's open or not). Not something I would have said 20 years but today, yes

Also Boston does have better retail DT, no doubt - Philly has better nightlife and restaurants these days though - pick your poison
Boston has also grown and become more cosmopolitan than it was 20 years ago. I would say DT Boston is still bigger safer and has more to do including better shopping, entertainment and dining than CC Philly

Old 09-01-2013, 10:29 PM

886 posts, read 1,564,207 times
Philly.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:33 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,045,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR View Post
Philly.
Why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City