Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 10:54 AM

390 posts, read 941,187 times

Advertisements

San Francisco (Mission District), Portland and Seattle come to mind
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 11:16 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor_Nado View Post
San Francisco (Mission District), Portland and Seattle come to mind
Yes of course. 3 out of the top 4 on my hippy quotient. Austinites should rejoice in their level of hippy culture now there, even though they still have to drive most places unlike the hippys who live among SF, Portland or Seattle that will leave their hippies with a lower eco footprint.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:26 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Default Major cities for modern day hippies

Austin

Old 08-15-2013, 12:15 PM

1,312 posts, read 2,169,787 times
grapico's youngster clique breakdown on the first page is hilariously inept - you know cities like very few others around here and I've learned a good bit of info from your posts, but I'd stay away from sociology, at least in public.

There is not a large rockabilly scene in the Bay Area. Rockabillies are the most conservative youth subculture next to skinheads. In fact, skinheads often "become" rockabilly when they grow up a little and realize it's difficult making it through life with swazi tattoos and kids in mixed-race grade schools. Often they cover right over those white power tattoos with the rockabilly faves: dice, Misfits, Social Distortion, flames, etc. Wanting it to be 1955 clearly follows this conservative ideal. In fact, there are very few young rockabillies, that is a group of folks that are normally 30 and up.

I also like how you call the two dudes in that picture "hipsters," but not the guy across from them in a black band shirt, sunglasses and a silly hat. I mean, "hipsters" don't even exist, but if they did, what would be the difference between those 3 guys in the picture? I believe that was taken at that University of Chicago thing, no?

Hippies, as in the Summer of Love 1967 style hippies, barely exist, and the ones that do are in their 60s living out in rural spots across America. If you want that style of person but in a modern context, Madison, WI is your Midwestern spot, followed by the Twin Cities. The West Coast cities mentioned a bunch above, maybe Austin, Boulder, Burlington, and small college cities across the country.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:19 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
grapico's youngster clique breakdown on the first page is hilariously inept - you know cities like very few others around here and I've learned a good bit of info from your posts, but I'd stay away from sociology, at least in public.

There is not a large rockabilly scene in the Bay Area. Rockabillies are the most conservative youth subculture next to skinheads. In fact, skinheads often "become" rockabilly when they grow up a little and realize it's difficult making it through life with swazi tattoos and kids in mixed-race grade schools. Often they cover right over those white power tattoos with the rockabilly faves: dice, Misfits, Social Distortion, flames, etc. Wanting it to be 1955 clearly follows this conservative ideal. In fact, there are very few young rockabillies, that is a group of folks that are normally 30 and up.

I also like how you call the two dudes in that picture "hipsters," but not the guy across from them in a black band shirt, sunglasses and a silly hat. I mean, "hipsters" don't even exist, but if they did, what would be the difference between those 3 guys in the picture? I believe that was taken at that University of Chicago thing, no?

Hippies, as in the Summer of Love 1967 style hippies, barely exist, and the ones that do are in their 60s living out in rural spots across America. If you want that style of person but in a modern context, Madison, WI is your Midwestern spot, followed by the Twin Cities. The West Coast cities mentioned a bunch above, maybe Austin, Boulder, Burlington, and small college cities across the country.
It was only partially serious to show that hipsters/hippies were not the same thing with some random pics from google. It was in response to this "I have always used hippie and hipster interchangeable."

Old 08-22-2013, 10:48 AM

39 posts, read 80,883 times
Hippies seem to be moving to the middle of the country. Hipsters are on the coasts.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:55 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,869,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lndigo View Post
there aren't MANY hippies here, but austin's a hippie-friendly town. more hippies as you head out of the city and into the hill country
rural parts of austin has real hippies... not those modern ones, but those ugly-dirty-toed-looking-nasty-haven't-showered-hippies.

But a fair city I think counts is Oakland. San Francisco is too overrun with techies and yuppies and hipsters. Oakland has a lot of those "rich hippies" (oxymoron, i know) that are way way wayyyyyy into that weird Burning Man festival.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:12 AM

1,669 posts, read 4,241,768 times
The Kensington Market neighbourhood in Toronto is pretty hippie.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:19 AM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Arent hipsters pretty much modern hippies?

Old 02-04-2014, 03:17 PM

22 posts, read 47,281 times
I think the largest population of modern day hippies are in the Pacific Northwest. Corvallis OR, Eugene OR; some in northern California, maybe Arcata, CA. Seattle and Portland are mainly hipsters but there are some hippie types. Really anywhere there is really beautiful nature, there will be hippies. and the Pacific NW is just beautiful and green, mountains, lakes, hippie heaven.

Otherwise, Asheville, NC has hippies but also a lot of old rich folks and conservatives. The Catskills region in NY has OLD hippies, the hippies who were actually around in the 60's, not a whole bunch of new hippies, but there are some (I live around here and I'm what people would call a modern day hippie). New Paltz and Woodstock play up the old hippie vibe with their retail stores and the aesthetics of the towns. Ithaca, Ny has new hippies. I hear that Burlington VT is a hippie town but it seems a little too clean and polished to me although I've never been there. But Phish is from there which is why I think people say that a lot. Gainseville, FL is somewhat of a small hippie town, but matched with hipsters and old republicans. Also Madison, WI has modern hippies but again lots of other kinds of people, i'm not sure if they are a huge presence there. Austin is just full of hipsters and surrounded by flat nothingness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City