Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New York City vs San Francisco
New York 310 56.36%
San Francisco 240 43.64%
Voters: 550. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 01:18 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I don't think there's much acclimation here--it's pretty clear that there's not nearly the same homeless presence in downtown Brooklyn that there is in SF or Oakland. It's also pretty clear that downtown Brooklyn has a lot more foot traffic than downtown Oakland. I think it's clear that you have no idea what you're talking about. If you visited last month, then it does seem like you are actually very confused.

What part are you talking about that is ghetto-ish? There's some part on the northeast corner near the projects that are ghetto-ish (depending on how you're counting the boundaries), but that's not most of downtown Brooklyn and somewhat cut off from the rest of downtown. There's also a small collection of social services on the southeast portion of the city, but it's small and you really have to go looking for it.

Downtown Brooklyn doesn't feature the headquarters of any fortune 500 companies, that's true. There's makerbot headquarters (but they sold out to another 3d print maker though operate mostly independently), some ad, creative and marketing agencies like Huge and UniWorld group, and back office operations and department headquarters of companies with company headquarters elsewhere. You rope in a bit more with a looser definition of downtown, but again, no fortune 500 companies headquartered there. I think downtown Oakland has Kaiser Permanente (which would be a fortune 500 if it were a private for-profit), are there others?

Downtown Brooklyn has multiple shopping streets--you know, like the way a dense, urban area typically has. Take a pin and put it anywhere in downtown Brooklyn and there will be more shops of nearly any kind within a ten minute walking distance than anywhere you put in walnut creek. I think the more extreme comparisons you make, the even less believable any of what you say becomes. Don't you think you've been going down that route a bit too much?
Clearly I am wayyy better versed on Downtown Brooklyn than you people are on Downtown Oakland-which was introduced into this conversation by Fitzrovian.

Gantz posts a riduculous response basically saying that Downtown Brooklyn rivals Downtown SF as a destination, and that is just delusion to the 10th power.

And Downtown Oakland is home to Kaiser, Clorox, Pandora, Ask.com etc.

So you need to come back to reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 01:29 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

Gantz posts a riduculous response basically saying that Downtown Brooklyn rivals Downtown SF as a destination, and that is just delusion to the 10th power.
No, he didn't say that. It's certainly no Walnut Creek.

Old 12-10-2014, 01:37 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,702,939 times
Quote:
The only one who is delusional is you. I never said anything close to that.

Old 12-10-2014, 04:15 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,294,625 times
Quote:
ha! That's downtown Brooklyn in a nutshell tho. Well, it may be more vibrant, but its still quite ghetto for the most part.

imo, Downtown Oakland is boring by comparison, but is much more pleasant, with Lake Merritt, Jack London Square, downtown Brooklyn is a scary movie set by comparison.

anyways...
Funny you mention Jack London Square. I actually took the free shuttle bus there after I got the gist on Downtown Oakland. It was utterly deserted, like someone dropped a neutron bomb or something. Speaking of a scary movie set. And that creepy looking Inn across the street that looks more like a badly designed 1950s hospital... oh jeez. I guess some might find that area "pleasant" if they like hanging out in a morgue.

Old 12-10-2014, 04:16 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,294,625 times
Quote:
ha! That's downtown Brooklyn in a nutshell tho. Well, it may be more vibrant, but its still quite ghetto for the most part.

imo, Downtown Oakland is boring by comparison, but is much more pleasant, with Lake Merritt, Jack London Square, downtown Brooklyn is a scary movie set by comparison.

anyways...
Funny you mention Jack London Square. I actually took the free shuttle bus there after I got the gist on Downtown Oakland. It was utterly deserted, like someone dropped a neutron bomb or something. Speaking of a scary movie set. And that creepy looking Inn across the street that looks more like a badly designed 1950s hospital... oh jeez. I guess some might find that area "pleasant" if they like hanging out in a morgue. If that's what's considered pleasant in Oakland I shudder to think what the rest of it looks like.

Old 12-10-2014, 05:27 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Clearly I am wayyy better versed on Downtown Brooklyn than you people are on Downtown Oakland-which was introduced into this conversation by Fitzrovian.

And Downtown Oakland is home to Kaiser, Clorox, Pandora, Ask.com etc.

So you need to come back to reality.
No, I don't think just declaring you're clearly better versed really makes that true. If what you're talking about is Fortune 500 headquarters, I clearly said that downtown Brooklyn wasn't strong on that whatsoever. What else did you try to address in my post? Absolutely nothing else? Where are all these homeless people you saw in downtown Brooklyn that's anywhere equivalent to that of downtown Oakland? Where did you see this ghetto in downtown? How did you miss all the shops in the area that somehow had less stores than Walnut Creek? What unrecognizable to anyone else downtown Brooklyn did you end up visiting just last month? And where did you see these hipsters in downtown Brooklyn? Was it college students that you saw there so you assumed anyone a third of your age was automatically a hipster?

Old 12-10-2014, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Funny you mention Jack London Square. I actually took the free shuttle bus there after I got the gist on Downtown Oakland. It was utterly deserted, like someone dropped a neutron bomb or something.
Yeah, so?.Three blocks up the street is a very vibrant Chinatown, next to a beautiful historic district that is home to a major search engine, a fortune 500 headquarters just up the street, across the street from the headquarters of the most prestigious public university system in the world, a few blocks away from the headquarters of a $50B/ year health care giant whose building also houses BARTs hq, across the way from a gorgeous urban lake and park.

Next time, dont rely on Google Maps. Just ask, k?

Quote:
Speaking of a scary movie set. And that creepy looking Inn across the street that looks more like a badly designed 1950s hospital... oh jeez.
How ironic since every other large building in Brooklyn looks haunted. Although property owners are lucky the place is so overrated and NY is full of enough monied wannabes to pay the price to appear hip and trendy.

Old 12-10-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Yeah, so?.Three blocks up the street is a very vibrant Chinatown, next to a beautiful historic district that is home to a major search engine, a fortune 500 headquarters just up the street, across the street from the headquarters of the most prestigious public university system in the world, a few blocks away from the headquarters of a $50B/ year health care giant whose building also houses BARTs hq, across the way from a gorgeous urban lake and park.

Next time, dont rely on Google Maps. Just ask, k?

How ironic since every other large building in Brooklyn looks haunted. Although property owners are lucky the place is so overrated and NY is full of enough monied wannabes to pay the price to appear hip and trendy.

Weren't you the one who mentioned Jack London Square? Why would you mention something as a plus that you now want to try to disassociate from?

The reason why you're hopping around, bringing up points and factoids and then abandoning them is pretty much because your singular point is that SF or the Bay Area is your personal preference and you want to pretend that's an objective view that can be shared by everyone or proven as a criteria for everyone to judge. This is why you constantly have to post things then find another odd vantage point over and over again, because you aren't able to make a logically consistent argument causing you to keep on jumping from the frying pan into the fire. It's interesting, but it doesn't make your arguments very persuasive.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 12-10-2014 at 05:45 PM..

Old 12-10-2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Weren't you the one who mentioned Jack London Square? Why would you mention something as a plus that you now want to try to disassociate from?
He said JLS is dead? That's largely true. But its not ghetto and its a pleasant waterfront area with some good restaurants, a movieplex and a few hotels.

2 places I like.

Yoshi's is a nice place for sushi and jazz.
Yoshi's Oakland Live Music | Jack London Square | Bay Area Japanese Cuisine

The Plank( recently opened) is fun.
welcome to plank - beer garden. bowling. bocce. - Plank

Stephen Curry of the Warriors recently sold his penthouse
in the Ellington and moved to house in the Hills.
The Ellington Oakland Condominiums: New Condos in Oakland from Ellington

Oh, and true to myself, I feel compelled to report that the census tract of JLS South is one of wealthiest loft and warehouse areas in CA, with an average family income around $200,000.

Old 12-10-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:
He said JLS is dead? That's largely true. But its not ghetto and its a pleasant waterfront area with some good restaurants, a movieplex and a few hotels.

2 places I like.

Yoshi's is a nice place for sushi and jazz.
Yoshi's Oakland Live Music | Jack London Square | Bay Area Japanese Cuisine

The Plank( recently opened) is fun.
welcome to plank - beer garden. bowling. bocce. - Plank

Stephen Curry of the Warriors recently sold his penthouse
in the Ellington and moved to house in the Hills.
The Ellington Oakland Condominiums: New Condos in Oakland from Ellington

Oh, and true to myself, I feel compelled to report that the census tract of JLS South is one of wealthiest loft and warehouse areas in CA, with an average family income around $200,000.

Yea, I like downtown Oakland to some extent. It's certainly pretty dead compared to downtown Brooklyn and the homeless population is actually a lot more visible. Both downtowns are going through a revitalization. The Brooklyn one you're describing is pretty unrecognizable.

Here's a nice place to go in downtown Brooklyn: Chef's Table. It's a three Michelin star restaurant. Maybe you'll like it.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 12-10-2014 at 06:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City