Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 08:50 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
I'd say my definition certainly fits a literary or any arts focused one. Political, definitely. The next question is, how do MSA metrics quantify our respective definitions? I mean, I know this is an internet forum and all just personal opinions, but there's just a lot of debatable correlations. (Well, one, actually, that I found specifically debatable.)
OK, I don't want to go making assumptions, so I'll ask you if the bold is your only definition of "intellectual". Most PhD scientists I know are certainly creative, and able to think "outside of the box". The vast majority have a variety of interests, including the arts, as opposed to some artsy types who profess to hate science.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 12:18 AM

2,963 posts, read 5,450,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
OK, I don't want to go making assumptions, so I'll ask you if the bold is your only definition of "intellectual". Most PhD scientists I know are certainly creative, and able to think "outside of the box". The vast majority have a variety of interests, including the arts, as opposed to some artsy types who profess to hate science.
My response was to Heavenwood, who in a previous post felt my definition excluded those topics. My original definition can include PhD scientists, whom I count among my acquaintances too. This thread just elevated engineering as by itself "intellectual" where my years among (product, electrical, etc.) engineers in Silicon Valley didn't show them any more (or any less, mind you) creative and "outside of the box" than anyone else. I'm with brentwoodgirl here. The correlations are silly.

"[A]s opposed to artsy types who profess to hate science" does contain a stunning lot of assumptions. Who are you talking about?

Old 01-13-2013, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
My response was to Heavenwood, who in a previous post felt my definition excluded those topics. My original definition can include PhD scientists, whom I count among my acquaintances too. This thread just elevated engineering as by itself "intellectual" where my years among (product, electrical, etc.) engineers in Silicon Valley didn't show them any more (or any less, mind you) creative and "outside of the box" than anyone else. I'm with brentwoodgirl here. The correlations are silly.

"[A]s opposed to artsy types who profess to hate science" does contain a stunning lot of assumptions. Who are you talking about?
When you've lived in/near a college town for 30 years, there are a lot of people to talk about. The artsy types who won't immunize their kids d/t ridiculous concerns about their immune systems (which they don't understand in the least), etc, for starts. I did not mean to include all people who are into the arts, BTW.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:48 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
Katiana, while I value your insights and highly respect you as a member can you please stop always defending Denver by bashing Pittsburgh in the process? To be fair you never even lived in Pittsburgh; you lived in Beaver County, which has historically been much worse off economically than Pittsburgh proper. I'm not one to proclaim that Pittsburgh is better than everywhere else, but with that being said the majority of the city's residents live in the East End, which is a very intellectual, worldly, and trendy area overall.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Katiana, while I value your insights and highly respect you as a member can you please stop always defending Denver by bashing Pittsburgh in the process? To be fair you never even lived in Pittsburgh; you lived in Beaver County, which has historically been much worse off economically than Pittsburgh proper. I'm not one to proclaim that Pittsburgh is better than everywhere else, but with that being said the majority of the city's residents live in the East End, which is a very intellectual, worldly, and trendy area overall.
First of all, SCR, you don't respect me, and that's been obvious on the Pittsburgh forum. Secondly, how was saying Pittsburgh ranks #5 in religiousness "bashing"? It's only "bashing" if you think being a religious city is bad. If you read to the end of my post, which I guess you didn't, you would have seen these lines from my post:

It seems that religious adherents have nothing to do with "intellectualism"; the numbers are all over, from 8 to 46.

I don't know where the idea comes from that the Denver area is some sort of a theocracy.

I was responding to someone who thinks Denver is a Catholic Salt Lake City! I presented some facts about religion in Pittsburgh. As far as Pittsburgh being a major football city, which the poster I was responding to me didn't even know, you tell me that's not true.

Also, I have lived in Pittsburgh itself, and Beaver County was very prosperous when I lived there, prior to the steel industry crash.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:18 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
First of all, SCR, you don't respect me, and that's been obvious on the Pittsburgh forum. Secondly, how was saying Pittsburgh ranks #5 in religiousness "bashing"? It's only "bashing" if you think being a religious city is bad. If you read to the end of my post, which I guess you didn't, you would have seen these lines from my post:

It seems that religious adherents have nothing to do with "intellectualism"; the numbers are all over, from 8 to 46.

I don't know where the idea comes from that the Denver area is some sort of a theocracy.

I was responding to someone who thinks Denver is a Catholic Salt Lake City! I presented some facts about religion in Pittsburgh. As far as Pittsburgh being a major football city, which the poster I was responding to me didn't even know, you tell me that's not true.

Also, I have lived in Pittsburgh itself, and Beaver County was very prosperous when I lived there, prior to the steel industry crash.
Where did I show you disrespect on the Pittsburgh forum? Also, I take issue with your approach to this thread because you've specifically been bolding Pittsburgh in several of your replies and have made a few references to imply Pittsburgh doesn't deserve the lofty recognition it receives, all in an effort to boost Denver's image.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Where did I show you disrespect on the Pittsburgh forum? Also, I take issue with your approach to this thread because you've specifically been bolding Pittsburgh in several of your replies and have made a few references to imply Pittsburgh doesn't deserve the lofty recognition it receives, all in an effort to boost Denver's image.
Well, right here:

Quote:
^ Best thread ever! Katiana got punk'd!
Also, you and your guru gave me a lot of grief over my reaction to the Aurora, Colorado shootings when you guys wanted to talk about how much money "The Dark Knight Rises" was going to bring in, WHILE THE BODIES WERE STILL IN THE THEATER, not to mention that my daughter lived across the street from James Holmes, went to school with him and knew people who were at that movie. Maybe I had a reason to think that talking about how much money this movie would gross, just b/c some of it was shot in Pittsburgh, could wait at least until the bodies were out and the memorial services were over. (Since you asked.)

Someone suggested Pittsburgh is one of the most intellectual cities in the US. I didn't say it was and I didn't say it wasn't. It is NOT up there in the top number of cities educationally. My link, from the New York Times, puts Pittsburgh at #49 (out of 100) in that category. You don't have to like that news, but it's accurate. Denver tends to show up in the top 10 on those lists routinely. That is fact.

I was having a discussion on this thread with someone who said that people in Denver are obsessed with football (this in the week before a major playoff game), and since Pittsburgh had been brought up and named as an "intellectual" city, I thought it proper to point out how much of a football town it is. Anyone who has been to both will confirm that. This person also claimed that Denver was some sort of a theocracy, with the Catholic church having undue influence. In 30 years, I never heard or felt such an atmosphere here, even back in the early 80s when most Hispanics were Catholic. I went to the effort of doing some research about religion and found, to no great surprise, that Pittsburgh, where I lived for 22 years and have family who live there, is ranked #5 in religious adherents. You don't have to like any of this information.

As far as "all in an effort to boost Denver's image", you do not have access to my thoughts. I was trying to right the information about Denver. Period.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 01-13-2013 at 10:19 AM.. Reason: Too many "alsos"

Old 01-13-2013, 12:07 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Cities that are very intensive in the following industries would probably be pretty smart:
*Politics (politicians are usually pretty smart)
Hold up! I'd draw the line right here. Let not confuse carpet bagging sociopathy with well rounded intillegence.

Old 01-13-2013, 03:33 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,184,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Hold up! I'd draw the line right here. Let not confuse carpet bagging sociopathy with well rounded intillegence.
You do that....on the whole would you honestly say that politicians aren't smarter than average? I think that's ridiculous personally. Even though politicians are ridiculous people themselves at times (Michelle Bachman is a prime example), I wouldn't go so far as to not consider them intelligent people.

It really isn't worth speaking your mind on these forums sometimes....it would have been easier to "fluff up" the list than offer my perspective!

Old 01-13-2013, 04:56 PM

9,327 posts, read 12,999,233 times
Quote:
I didn't get this sense in the slightest. She clearly mentioned Pittsburgh's religiosity to point out that it poorly correlates with intellectual friendliness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City