Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Oklahoma City vs. Birmingham
Oklahoma City 55 56.70%
Birmingham 42 43.30%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 11:43 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,576,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I consider Oklahoma City and Birmingham to be somewhat comparable cities and are a pretty good match-up. Both are the largest in their state, both lack nearby mountains or beaches to give either one a distinct advantage, both are in poor, negatively perceived states, and both are relatively similar in size. How would you rank them in the following categories?

-Downtown (NO skyline discussion, but downtown vibe in general can be discussed)
Birmingham resisted Federal Government money to build it's self up as Atlanta GA did not pass up a red cent of Federal Money Birmingham got passed up in the 1950's , 1960's and most of all 1970's.... Birmingham was superior to Houston , Dallas , Tampa , Jacksonville , Orlando , Memphis , Nashville , Charlotte , Richmond and most of all Atlanta GA Oklahoma City Oklahoma wasn't even in the running. However OKC Bricktown and Chesapeake Energy Arena anchor more Big Time activities in the CBD of OKC. OKC has a Suburban Downtown and Birmingham has a Urban Downtown meaning than OKC has to work extra hard with theirs CBD INFILL projects. ( OKC Wins )

-Nightlife
Birmingham and OKC are in a dead heat as far as nightlife- If we are talking African American nightlife Birmingham wins hands down.
-Arts & Culture
OKC edges Birmingham in arts and culture
-Diversity
OKC Wins
-Sports
OKC Wins

-Shopping
Birmingham Wins
-Outdoor recreation
Birmingham wins in a ROUT....
-Future Outlook
OKC Wins in a Cake Walk

When all things considered, which of these cities would you rather live in?
In OKC because my FAMILY is there primarily blood would draw me to OKC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2020, 09:06 AM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Downtown: Oklahoma City
-Nightlife: Oklahoma City
-Arts & Culture: Birmingham
-Diversity: Neither
-Sports: Oklahoma City
-Shopping: Birmingham
-Outdoor recreation: Birmingham
-Future Outlook: Oklahoma City

I would choose Oklahoma City because it has more going on. Not as much crime and run down areas.

Old 03-27-2020, 04:16 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,576,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Downtown: Oklahoma City
-Nightlife: Oklahoma City
-Arts & Culture: Birmingham
-Diversity: Neither
-Sports: Oklahoma City
-Shopping: Birmingham
-Outdoor recreation: Birmingham
-Future Outlook: Oklahoma City

I would choose Oklahoma City because it has more going on. Not as much crime and run down areas.

I have not been in Birmingham Alabama since the 1970s , the 1970 Birmingham would've cleaned Oklahoma City clock , but Oklahoma City would run roughshod over Birmingham in 2020!!!

Old 03-27-2020, 07:50 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,427,533 times
I feel like OKC is up and coming while Birmingham has been declining for some time now...

Old 03-27-2020, 08:03 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
I have not been in Birmingham Alabama since the 1970s , the 1970 Birmingham would've cleaned Oklahoma City clock , but Oklahoma City would run roughshod over Birmingham in 2020!!!
Wow now, that is a long time. Birmingham is a regional city. It has improved its economic diversity with healthcare and banking, but its flaws outweigh a lot of the good. Still a lot of homeless, poverty, racial tensions, lack of progress...Both cities lag behind their peers but Oklahoma City has at least turned the corner.

Old 03-27-2020, 09:18 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanRam View Post
I feel like OKC is up and coming while Birmingham has been declining for some time now...
The growth stats don't reflect it yet but there's been a lot of investment and development in Birmingham these past couple of years. I hope this pandemic only hit the pause button on its momentum and not a stop button.

Adaptive Reuse Projects Help Revitalize Downtown Birmingham | ACRE
https://businessalabama.com/downtown...t-condo-surge/
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47820698
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...m-alabama.html

Old 03-27-2020, 11:45 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,626,486 times
The Alabama Theatre is impressive inside.

This view of Oklahoma City makes it look like it has two downtowns. The actual one is in the background. The other one is high rise development along Northwest Expressway and nearby. Hefner Lake is in the foreground: http://okie.world/okc.jpg

Old 03-28-2020, 04:50 AM

5,024 posts, read 5,664,637 times
[quote=bchris02;27752186]I consider Oklahoma City and Birmingham to be somewhat comparable cities and are a pretty good match-up. Both are the largest in their state, both lack nearby mountains or beaches to give either one a distinct advantage, both are in poor, negatively perceived states, and both are relatively similar in size. How would you rank them in the following categories?

-Downtown: Oklahoma City.. I think
-Nightlife: Not sure.. relatively even Id think.
-Arts & Culture: Birmingham by a little bit.
-Diversity: Oklahoma City
-Sports: Oklahoma City (closer major college sports, plus NBA)
-Shopping: Not sure/seem relatively even
-Outdoor recreation: Definitely Birmingham
-Future Outlook: Hard to predict

When all things considered, which of these cities would you rather live in?
They have comparable levels of appeal overall, but Birmingham wins outdoor appeal solidly and thus wins my vote.

Old 03-28-2020, 09:12 AM

2,446 posts, read 2,229,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
if you haven't visited since the '70s, i hope you didn't vote in the poll...

seriously, how can you justify your last statement if you haven't been here in nearly 50 years??

Old 03-28-2020, 09:21 AM

2,446 posts, read 2,229,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTime View Post
Geez does Birmingham compare well to any city?.....it cant be that bad lol
it's not.

our biggest problem, unfortunately, is an image and publicity problem. our first name conjures up images of race riots and church bombings from 50 years ago, while our last name brings with it stereotypes of rural and uneducated america.

it's true that birmingham city's population has not grown recently. however, in the previous 5 decades it was absolutely HEMHORRAGING from a high of about 340,000 in 1960. the past 10 years it has stagnated, and i think it's finally leveled off around 210,000. if the amount of new construction downtown, particularly apartments and condos, are any indication, the city population should start going back up soon. even several of the eastern neighborhoods are starting to see promising infill. will it be on the level of a nashville or atlanta? definitely not. but hopefully steady and sustained.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City