Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is best poised for a comeback?
St. Louis 54 24.11%
Pittsburgh 170 75.89%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 01:46 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,005,312 times

Advertisements

This is Saint Louis without the arch
Attached Thumbnails
Pittsburgh vs. St. Louis - which is best poised for a comeback?-stl-_no-arch_edit.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 01:57 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
both
That's a good answer....It's probably going to be both.

Pittsburgh sounds like it may be "coming back" a little faster right now but I think that has more to do with timing than anything else. A couple of things that I think are going to be very key for US cities in the coming decades is the following:

-urban infrastructure (it's more sustainable in the LR.....streets, housing, mass transit, etc.)
-water (readily available fresh, clean water)
-climate (no extremes, particularly cold.....this seems to be peoples' preference, not my own)
-employment (diverse employment options and low unemployment rates)
-schools (Public mainly, both K-12 and college)

Since both cities touch all of these "key criteria" very well for the most part, I can see both rebounding soon, and I think it's only a matter of time. Of the two, the city BEST poised for a comeback (based on these criteria) is probably Pittsburgh, which seems to have a one-up on STL on several of the criteria. But I think both cities will do two things:

1. rebound fairly moderately, but nothing lightening quick
2. continue to be underappreciated and overlooked

The best-case scenario I can see for BOTH cities is having the "hipness" and progressiveness of Minnneapolis/Denver/Seattle while also having the characteristic "city feel" and character of a smaller Philly/DC/Boston. I could see both urbanizing to the point of doubling their current population densities within 40-50 years, and having a metro popuation between 3.5 and 5.0 million.....or a modern-day Seattle/Detroit/Atlanta in size.

I don't know if this will happen or even if its residents WANT this to happen, but this is the potential that I can see.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:58 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
How about posting some pictures of both cities for starters so we can turn those words into an illustrative comparison. I would but don't have any at this time. If no one is up to the task I will post Google street view links later. Any takers? (I know STLgasm has a nice stash somewhere or JiveCity does) Come on don't be shy people. let's do this.
I agree... I'd like to see some photo comparisons.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Having lived in both areas:
Pittsburgh has always been proactive, forward moving and constantly building toward the future. Much more accepting of transplants. Very vibrant downtown area.

Saint Louis is stuck in the past, with a decrepit downtown that seems to be taking forever to rebuild.

C'mon dude......why do you have to go there? This thread could be pretty fun, especially for residents of both cities!

Old 01-28-2013, 02:09 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,005,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
C'mon dude......why do you have to go there? This thread could be pretty fun, especially for residents of both cities!
Because it is a fair comparison.

I do think the burbs around Saint Louis are a bit nicer than those around Pittsburgh

Old 01-28-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
Best poised for a comeback? Pittsburgh has been well on the way for years now, and getting better every year. I guess it depends on what / when you consider it to be "back".

It will never be a huge industrial force again, so in that case it will never be "back" to where it was in the industrial days. But the new Pittsburgh has redefined itself. It realized that changes needed to come and a new direction was needed. Its not the ultimate mecca by any stretch, but great strides have been made.
I guess by "come back" I don't mean becoming what it was before, but rather "come back" in the sense of crime and blight decreasing, population increasing in neighborhoods where it had previously declined, new businesses opening, etc. Really, my question is which city will have improved the most in say 20 years?

Last edited by Bluefox; 01-28-2013 at 02:17 PM..

Old 01-28-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
Pittsburgh.

It's in a much more desirable location compared to St. Louis. And Pittsburgh has easy access to any number of large Eastern/Midwestern metros while St. Louis is limited to Kansas City and Chicago as far as reasonable driving-distance neighbors.
I think both cities are located extremely centrally. In fact, the center of the U.S. population is very close to St. Louis and has been for decades now. St. Louis is within a weekend trip of:

-Chicago
-Memphis
-Kansas City
-Indianapolis
-Little Rock

Pittsburgh is within a weekend trip of:

-New York City
-Philadelphia
-DC/Baltimore
-Cleveland
-Cincinnati
-Columbus
-Detroit
-Indianapolis
-Buffalo
-Toronto (confirm)

So yeah, Pittsburgh is better situated I suppose but St. Louis isn't a huge slouch either, not to mention that it's not too much further to several other major cities like Minneapolis, Dallas, Detroit, Atlanta, etc. However, I never really understood why this was some kind of amazing selling point for a city (how close you are to other major cities). Like, I would like to be close enough to get away for a weekend maybe once or twice a year, but really all I want for proximity-purposes is to be within driving distance from my friends and family. If your city's big selling point is that it's easy to leave to another city in a short amount of time, that doesn't make it too much more appealing IMO. I'd give proximity to other major cities a LOT less weight than many of you give it, simply because I spend 99.5% of my time in the city where I choose to live, not those next to it.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:19 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,674,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Because it is a fair comparison.

I do think the burbs around Saint Louis are a bit nicer than those around Pittsburgh
You have one of the most unhealthy obsessions on here, seriously, it is painful to watch you. I'm sorry St. Louis stole your girlfriend or whatever, but you seriously gotta let it go man...

Old 01-28-2013, 02:19 PM

Great lists, Min-Chi-Bus. I'd also add Nashville and Madison for St. Louis

Old 01-28-2013, 02:20 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
Pittsburgh.

It's in a much more desirable location compared to St. Louis. And Pittsburgh has easy access to any number of large Eastern/Midwestern metros while St. Louis is limited to Kansas City and Chicago as far as reasonable driving-distance neighbors.
And Memphis, and Louisville, and Indianapolis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City