Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City/Metro has the best Thai food?
Seattle 17 24.29%
San Francisco 8 11.43%
Los Angeles 32 45.71%
New York 6 8.57%
Other (please specify) 7 10.00%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 03:27 PM

1,108 posts, read 2,286,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Seattle. I haven't been able to find nearly as good Thai food anywhere else since I moved away from there (nor have I been able to find Swimming Rama anywhere else besides Seattle, why is it so hard to find?). I miss Thai Tom's in the U-District, and I just miss food in general in Seattle. I'd live there again if it wern't for the sun deficit.
Thai Tom's is very good. Hard to get a seat, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 03:27 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,539,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Its LA, hands down.

Largest Thai community, only Thai town, most diverse Thai community.

Simply put, no Thai dish cannot be found in LA.
For all these reasons, this.

Plus we have Thai Elvis

Los Angeles BEST THAI ELVIS - Palm Thai - Best Of Los Angeles - LA Weekly

Old 02-13-2013, 04:22 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,109,900 times
For most of my life I was a Chinese / Japanese food kind of dude bro. Never really tried any other Asian cuisine. Visiting my sister and her family in Seattle really got me in to Thai food. I just wasn't aware of Thai food in general back home (SF). But since my frequent trips to Seattle, I have found just as good (if not better) Thai food here in SF. I haven't had Thai food nearly enough in LA to judge. Don't think I have ever had Thai in NYC. I don't experiment much when I order though, which probably makes a difference in the quality between these cities. I stick to the basics mostly. Side note - I am also in to Vietnamese food now. Also, I didn't vote.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:23 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
LA end of story.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
LA end of story.
It's not as obvious as you think. In Seattle, you stumble into a Thai Restaurant on seemingly every block, and the quality is very comparable to LA.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:59 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
LA end of story.
No, not the end of story know it all. What a trite answer with no substance. You haven't been to Seattle, have you?

Old 02-13-2013, 06:00 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
This is easily Los Angeles in all respects: quality, variety, and price. It makes sense given that it has the largest thai community outside of thailand, it is one of the closest by physical proximity to thailand and a major port and airport hub, it has access to a wide range of fresh ingredients necessary for good thai cooking given its pacific location and proximity to Central Valley, it's not yet egregious cost of living, and the generally cosmopolitan demographic makeup where it's very common for people of all sorts to try cuisines of other countries. It's not that other cities aren't great as well, but just not as great.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
This is easily Los Angeles in all respects: quality, variety, and price. It makes sense given that it has the largest thai community outside of thailand, it is one of the closest by physical proximity to thailand and a major port and airport hub, it has access to a wide range of fresh ingredients necessary for good thai cooking given its pacific location and proximity to Central Valley, it's not yet egregious cost of living, and the generally cosmopolitan demographic makeup where it's very common for people of all sorts to try cuisines of other countries. It's not that other cities aren't great as well, but just not as great.
I would say all of those points apply to Seattle and SF as well - except, of course, having the largest Thai community outside of Thailand.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:22 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,504,039 times
Los Angeles.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:44 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orzo View Post
I would say all of those points apply to Seattle and SF as well - except, of course, having the largest Thai community outside of Thailand.
True though Los Angeles is a far larger port and physically much closer to Thailand, more cosmopolitan in terms of its ethnic makeup and Seattle is nowhere near the Central Valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City