Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City/Metro has the best Thai food?
Seattle 17 24.29%
San Francisco 8 11.43%
Los Angeles 32 45.71%
New York 6 8.57%
Other (please specify) 7 10.00%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 07:03 PM

1,108 posts, read 2,286,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
True though Los Angeles is a far larger port and physically much closer to Thailand, more cosmopolitan in terms of its ethnic makeup and Seattle is nowhere near the Central Valley.
Port of Seattle and Port of Tacoma are the 7th and 11th largest container ports in the country, respectively (not to the level of LA and Long Beach, of course, but combined these two ports put the Seattle metro in elite company there). Also, Seattle has its own Central Valley - Eastern Washington. It is also an agricultural hotbed. Finally, I wouldn't say LA is that much closer to Thailand than Seattle, if you look at a map. Both are on the West Coast with a direct route to Thailand (not that I think that really has much to quality of the food). Also, while Seattle has fewer Thai residents than LA, it still has a high number compared to most US cities and a strong Southeast Asian cultural presence (like in most US cities, there are more Filipinos and Vietnamese than Thai people).

But in the end, what matters is the quality, quantity, and variety of the food, and I think Seattle, LA, and the Bay Area are all very comparable. I don't think you can say one is head and shoulders above the others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 07:20 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,960,126 times
I am a Thai food fanatic because it's my favorite food (about to get it right now), have it some 4 times a week and the best Thai food I have tried is a place called Bangkok Chef in Suthwest Houston.

Have yet to find a place that compares and I travel and the first food I try to seek out in every city is their highest rated Thai restaurant. Only one place in Manhattan has rivaled it so far. So there are my answers.

Everywhere else I've tried has been decisively second rate.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:39 PM

484 posts, read 871,397 times
Los Angeles.

Based on personal experience, best Thai food outside of Thailand.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:09 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,213,679 times
LA hands down, best thai food in the country, this is how i got started on thai food.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:36 PM

37,130 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orzo View Post
Port of Seattle and Port of Tacoma are the 7th and 11th largest container ports in the country, respectively (not to the level of LA and Long Beach, of course, but combined these two ports put the Seattle metro in elite company there). Also, Seattle has its own Central Valley - Eastern Washington. It is also an agricultural hotbed. Finally, I wouldn't say LA is that much closer to Thailand than Seattle, if you look at a map. Both are on the West Coast with a direct route to Thailand (not that I think that really has much to quality of the food). Also, while Seattle has fewer Thai residents than LA, it still has a high number compared to most US cities and a strong Southeast Asian cultural presence (like in most US cities, there are more Filipinos and Vietnamese than Thai people).

But in the end, what matters is the quality, quantity, and variety of the food, and I think Seattle, LA, and the Bay Area are all very comparable. I don't think you can say one is head and shoulders above the others.
Right, that's why I said that the other places are great, too. However, Los Angeles does actually have that much bigger of a port, its lower latitude does mean that it's that much closer, the central valley really is more productive than eastern washington and somewhat more versatile in what it can grow (in that it's far lower south than eastern washington) than eastern washington, and the thai population in LA is significantly larger. In every single one of these things LA "wins" compared to Seattle.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:49 PM

Just picked up the Thai food.

I should have specified. I'm just about the biggest fan of spicy food, which is why I like Thai a lot. My diet for breakfast, lunch, and dinner (and snacks) is either something normal or spicy foods. I usually tell the Thai restaurant people by calling in that I'm picking up, I tell them to remove the eggs and make it as spicy as the FDA will allow them to administer in their restaurant (as I tell the people taking my order at every restaurant I go to). I probably wouldn't enjoy Thai food if it wasn't spicy, it would taste quite bland otherwise.

What I just picked up in Arlington, VA (next door to where I live, Alexandria, Virginia):

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...9-img-2984.jpg

Old 02-13-2013, 09:52 PM

886 posts, read 1,563,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
I travel and the first food I try to seek out in every city is their highest rated
You're the real life version of Kumar from Harold and Kumar

Old 02-13-2013, 10:08 PM

1,108 posts, read 2,286,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Right, that's why I said that the other places are great, too. However, Los Angeles does actually have that much bigger of a port, its lower latitude does mean that it's that much closer, the central valley really is more productive than eastern washington and somewhat more versatile in what it can grow (in that it's far lower south than eastern washington) than eastern washington, and the thai population in LA is significantly larger. In every single one of these things LA "wins" compared to Seattle.
Right, but I'm not sure exactly how those metrics have a linear relationship to quality of Thai food (not to mention, Washington is incredibly productive and versatile in what it can grow since it has so many diverse climates - maybe not the same volume as Central Valley due to a smaller size, but you can get what you need.)

Basically, I don't think having a larger port (when both places have really large ports), a slightly more productive agricultural area (when both places have two of the top agircultural areas in the Country), and a lower latitude will somehow make the Thai food in LA better. I grew up in California and live in Washington now, and both places have equally top notch produce and meats, and in both places there is easy access to any Asian cooking spice or ingredient you would need. The point about the larger Thai population in LA is definitely valid, though - but Seattle is no slouch, with a high Southeast Asian population and relatively high Thai population, as well as a strong presence of those cultures throughout the City.

In any case, as someone who has eaten ample amounts of Thai food in every major West Coast City (minus San Diego), I can say with confidence that SF, Seattle, and LA all have comparably excellent Thai food. Seattle in general has outstanding Southeast Asian food all around. Aside from seafood, it's easily that region's biggest culinary strength. Portland has a ton of Thai restaurants too, some great, but I've found there are also quite a few mediocre ones there as well.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:42 AM

507 posts, read 806,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orzo View Post
Right, but I'm not sure exactly how those metrics have a linear relationship to quality of Thai food (not to mention, Washington is incredibly productive and versatile in what it can grow since it has so many diverse climates - maybe not the same volume as Central Valley due to a smaller size, but you can get what you need.)

Basically, I don't think having a larger port (when both places have really large ports), a slightly more productive agricultural area (when both places have two of the top agircultural areas in the Country), and a lower latitude will somehow make the Thai food in LA better. I grew up in California and live in Washington now, and both places have equally top notch produce and meats, and in both places there is easy access to any Asian cooking spice or ingredient you would need. The point about the larger Thai population in LA is definitely valid, though - but Seattle is no slouch, with a high Southeast Asian population and relatively high Thai population, as well as a strong presence of those cultures throughout the City.

In any case, as someone who has eaten ample amounts of Thai food in every major West Coast City (minus San Diego), I can say with confidence that SF, Seattle, and LA all have comparably excellent Thai food. Seattle in general has outstanding Southeast Asian food all around. Aside from seafood, it's easily that region's biggest culinary strength. Portland has a ton of Thai restaurants too, some great, but I've found there are also quite a few mediocre ones there as well.
So what was the point if this thread? Most people think LA has the best but you disagree however if someone mentions as Seattle having the best you wouldn't argue that right? You say SF, Seattle, and LA are equal then why not just have titled it "which city aside from Seattle, SF, and LA has the best Thai food"?

Old 02-14-2013, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Instigator View Post
So what was the point if this thread? Most people think LA has the best but you disagree however if someone mentions as Seattle having the best you wouldn't argue that right? You say SF, Seattle, and LA are equal then why not just have titled it "which city aside from Seattle, SF, and LA has the best Thai food"?
I've also had Thai in Los Angeles and it is decisively better pound for pound (the best pound for pound, large Thai population or not).

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 02-14-2013 at 04:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City