Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City/Metro has the best Thai food?
Seattle 17 24.29%
San Francisco 8 11.43%
Los Angeles 32 45.71%
New York 6 8.57%
Other (please specify) 7 10.00%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 03:07 PM

1,108 posts, read 2,285,804 times

Advertisements

Which city/metro do you think has the highest standard for quality Thai food and the best Thai restaurants?

I'm going to go with Seattle, since there is such an insane number and density of Thai restaurants (a total of 340+ for a city of 600K, higher per capita than anywhere else I've seen), really high standards for quality (if a Thai restaurant isn't good, it likely won't make it), and a ton of authentic places and great regional variety (for example, this place, which specializes in Thai food from the Isan Province - completely different from conventional Thai food found in America: Pestle Rock Isan Thai Cuisine).

I could also see making a case from the Bay Area or LA, or maybe even NYC just by sheer quantity (although standards for quality are much lower in NYC, from what I've found). No other cities that I've tried have been close to these, though. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 03:14 PM

443 posts, read 877,322 times
Two other places (aside from the ones on your list) that have surprisingly quality Thai food are Portland and DC.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:14 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,737,240 times
Its LA, hands down.

Largest Thai community, only Thai town, most diverse Thai community.

Simply put, no Thai dish cannot be found in LA.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:18 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,737,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relegate View Post
Two other places (aside from the ones on your list) that have surprisingly quality Thai food are Portland and DC.
Frankly, I didnt think the Thai food in either of those cities was good. Granted, I only have eaten about 3-4 places in Portland so there may be some really good ones that hid from me. In Houston, I was highly disappointed and Ive eaten at a multitude of Thai joints there. Its such an otherwise great eating city too.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:20 PM

10,747 posts, read 23,809,943 times
Seattle. I haven't been able to find nearly as good Thai food anywhere else since I moved away from there (nor have I been able to find Swimming Rama anywhere else besides Seattle, why is it so hard to find?). I miss Thai Tom's in the U-District, and I just miss food in general in Seattle. I'd live there again if it wern't for the sun deficit.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:21 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,517,739 times
I don't know, I'd think that Los Angeles might be up there considering it has the highest number of Thai people in the US, but I've never had Thai food in Los Angeles, so I can't say.

Though it's hard to say, considering that Thai food is everywhere these days. To the extent that in some places it's often Vietnamese or Chinese cooking Thai food, due to the popularity of it. Good Thai food I enjoy--however there's a trend of every Thai restaurant having the exact same menu with little variety in a lot of places--sort of like what became of Chinese food in America. The best Thai restaurant in Portland is Pok Pok which was started by an American guy who cooked in Thailand for a years, but focuses on regional dishes and street food that you don't find at most Thai restaurants, but there's a number of other places that stand out among the hordes of interchangable Thai places these days...

Seattle has good Thai food whe I've had it, but to be honest, I've gotten so burnt out on eating Thai food after a while, that it takes a particularly good place to get me excited. I'll have to try the place you mentioned though as real regional Thai food still proves interesting to me.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:22 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,749,798 times
Oakland has some of the best I've had... LA's also great for thai.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:25 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
I have no idea but I've certainly had some amazing Thai food in Los Angeles, mostly in Thai Town in East Hollywood.

These types of CvC threads are always pretty tough because really, how would anyone know short of eating at 5+ of the best Thai restaurants in each city. Certainly doable but I doubt it has been done.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:25 PM

1,108 posts, read 2,285,804 times
I agree there a lot of Thai places that have similar menus across the country, and to me that's what makes Seattle, LA, and the Bay Area stand out. These places all have good regional variety and there are many places that do the more conventional stuff but in an authentic and delicious way.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:27 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
I don't know, I'd think that Los Angeles might be up there considering it has the highest number of Thai people in the US, but I've never had Thai food in Los Angeles, so I can't say.

Though it's hard to say, considering that Thai food is everywhere these days. To the extent that in some places it's often Vietnamese or Chinese cooking Thai food, due to the popularity of it. Good Thai food I enjoy--however there's a trend of every Thai restaurant having the exact same menu with little variety in a lot of places--sort of like what became of Chinese food in America. The best Thai restaurant in Portland is Pok Pok which was started by an American guy who cooked in Thailand for a years, but focuses on regional dishes and street food that you don't find at most Thai restaurants, but there's a number of other places that stand out among the hordes of interchangable Thai places these days...

Seattle has good Thai food whe I've had it, but to be honest, I've gotten so burnt out on eating Thai food after a while, that it takes a particularly good place to get me excited. I'll have to try the place you mentioned though as real regional Thai food still proves interesting to me.
There is a restaurant (mini-chain actually) on my street called It's Pho! and basically the premise is that it is Vietnamese food cooked by a Thai family. I think they also have a restaurant called It's Thai!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City