Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City/Metro has the best Thai food?
Seattle 17 24.29%
San Francisco 8 11.43%
Los Angeles 32 45.71%
New York 6 8.57%
Other (please specify) 7 10.00%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 03:14 PM

1,108 posts, read 2,287,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Nope for the port, just that LA's port pushes more through and there's a larger number of Thai people which would means the ability and demand to get stuff in bulk. LA is in a different USDA hardiness zone, the central valley is larger, and the growing season is markedly longer. I don't see what's confusing about this. You will have fresh herbs and vegetables from fairly close by for longer periods of the year. I understand all of this takes a backseat to the primary factor--LA simply has a much larger and likely more diverse Thai community than Seattle does.
See my response (post #43) above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 03:22 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
I voted SF, though admittedly I'm not a thai fanatic b/c of the flavor combinations. I can't stand coconut and not a fan of the over use of fish sauce/shrimp paste and often too sweet for my palate dishes you often find at "authentic" thai places. It's definitely my least favorite of asian cuisines behind japanese, korean, chinese, burmese, nepalase, hong kong, malaysian, indian, pakistani, etc. Somehow there is an obsession with thai places the last 10 years, it's like the new sushi. I guess I don't get it.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I voted SF, though admittedly I'm not a thai fanatic b/c of the flavor combinations. I can't stand coconut and not a fan of the over use of fish sauce/shrimp paste and often too sweet for my palate dishes you often find at "authentic" thai places. It's definitely my least favorite of asian cuisines behind japanese, korean, chinese, burmese, nepalase, hong kong, malaysian, indian, pakistani, etc.
Yeah, I know others who feel that way. If you ever have the chance, you should try a Thai restaurant that specializes in Northern Thai cuisine. It really is a whole different beast, and is very, very delicious.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:26 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orzo View Post
Do you have any evidence to back this up? Seattle has plenty of farmer's markets and year-round produce stands with cheap, quality produce of all kinds (as in, literally half the price of the grocery store).
Well, there is the fact that I lived in both cities, travel between the two from time to time, and consistently paid more for ingredients, goods, and dining out in Seattle than in LA. There are farmer's markets, year round produce stands, and ethnic markets in LA that are cheaper than their counterparts in Seattle, all year round.

For example: how much are roma tomatoes going for up there? How much do you pay for a bushel of green onions? I pay 33c in the winter... in Seattle I'd pay 99c-1.29 at HT Oaktree on Aurora. Not that they're used much in Asian cooking, but take for instance avocados... .79-1.25 anywhere; I paid $1.99 for a tiny, over-ripe one at QFC a few weeks ago.

I was in Seattle last month visiting a gal and we walked down from First Hill to Viet Wah in the ID to get ingredients for some Viet curry and a veggie/noodle stir fry; nearly everything was more expensive than what I'd pay here, particularly fresh veggies. Getting the exact same stuff that I'd normally get down here at Ranch 99 or Galleria Supermarket, I paid about $6 more - not a huge difference for an individual cooking their own food, but for a restaurant who's got to keep profit margins, the effect is amplified.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Well, there is the fact that I lived in both cities, travel between the two from time to time, and consistently paid more for ingredients, goods, and dining out in Seattle than in LA. There are farmer's markets, year round produce stands, and ethnic markets in LA that are cheaper than their counterparts in Seattle, all year round.

For example: how much are roma tomatoes going for up there? How much do you pay for a bushel of green onions? I pay 33c in the winter... in Seattle I'd pay 99c-1.29 at HT Oaktree on Aurora. Not that they're used much in Asian cooking, but take for instance avocados... .79-1.25 anywhere; I paid $1.99 for a tiny, over-ripe one at QFC a few weeks ago.

I was in Seattle last month visiting a gal and we walked down from First Hill to Viet Wah in the ID to get ingredients for some Viet curry and a veggie/noodle stir fry; nearly everything was more expensive than what I'd pay here, particularly fresh veggies. Getting the exact same stuff that I'd normally get down here at Ranch 99 or Galleria Supermarket, I paid about $6 more - not a huge difference for an individual cooking their own food, but for a restaurant who's got to keep profit margins, the effect is amplified.
Viet-wah on MLK is cheaper than that,as is Ranch 99 in Edmonds, or Top Banana produce stand in Ballard (3 places I 've shooped at often). QFC is a total joke and a complete ripoff, and the last place I would consider buying produce. Safeway quality stuff for twice the cost. For ethnic food stores, the ID stores are actually more expensive than other Asian supermarkets in the City. And local Farmer's markets in Seattle are dirt cheap, which is where many restaurant do their shopping.

In any case, I've never lived in LA, but I can say that produce costs in the Bay Area (where I lived for 15 years) are totally comparable to costs in Seattle. I was just in the Bay this summer and also do a lot of Asian cooking, so I've had a lot of experience purchasing ingredients in both places as well. I did not see that difference you are talking about. Maybe LA has that much cheaper produce than both the Bay and Seattle, but it's hard for me to believe the difference would be that significant.

If you've dined out in Seattle a lot, I'm surprised you're not aware of the many, many places that serve really cheap, good Thai food here. I've already posted links to menus of several Thai places in Seattle averaging $5-$7 for lunch and $7-$8 for dinner, and there are tons more.

Last edited by orzo; 02-14-2013 at 03:58 PM..

Old 02-14-2013, 04:20 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orzo View Post
Viet-wah on MLK is cheaper than that,as is Ranch 99 in Edmonds, or Top Banana produce stand in Ballard (3 places I 've shooped at often). QFC is a total joke and a complete ripoff, and the last place I would consider buying produce. Safeway quality stuff for twice the cost. For ethnic food stores, the ID stores are actually more expensive than other Asian supermarkets in the City. And local Farmer's markets in Seattle are dirt cheap, which is where many restaurant do their shopping.

In any case, I've never lived in LA, but I can say that produce costs in the Bay Area (where I lived for 15 years) are totally comparable to costs in Seattle. I was just in the Bay this summer and also do a lot of Asian cooking, so I've had a lot of experience purchasing ingredients in both places as well. I did not see that difference you are talking about. Maybe LA has that much cheaper produce than both the Bay and Seattle, but it's hard for me to believe the difference would be that significant.

If you've dined out in Seattle a lot, I'm surprised you're not aware of the many, many places that serve really cheap, good Thai food here. I've already posted links to menus of several Thai places in Seattle averaging $5-$7 for lunch and $7-$8 for dinner, and there are tons more.
You really want the answer to be Seattle a lot, so by all means, please!

Old 02-14-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
You really want the answer to be Seattle a lot, so by all means, please!
I think you're missing the point. I said right off the bat that a good case can be made for LA to be #1 (even though that's not my opinion). I take no issue with people voting for the LA option on the poll or saying they prefer LA.

What I'm taking issue with (in a friendly City Data kinda way, of course ) are your comments that proximity to Thailand, port container volume, and availability of fresh produce/herbs, give LA any sort of advantage here. The proximity thing may not even be true, the port container volume is irrelevant (won't go into detail again, but I've explained already), and Seattle has its own agricultural hotbed nearby and - more importantly - good, fresh produce year-round.

I also take issue with people saying that Thai food in LA is that much cheaper than Seattle, which just isn't true. Basically, I'm combatting the multiple falsehoods I keep hearing across this thread. That is very different than saying "Seattle must win!". I find the results of this poll interesting, and will definitely go out of my way to seek out even more Thai restaurants next time I'm down in LA.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:39 PM

507 posts, read 807,282 times
Quote:
I voted SF, though admittedly I'm not a thai fanatic b/c of the flavor combinations. I can't stand coconut and not a fan of the over use of fish sauce/shrimp paste and often too sweet for my palate dishes you often find at "authentic" thai places. It's definitely my least favorite of asian cuisines behind japanese, korean, chinese, burmese, nepalase, hong kong, malaysian, indian, pakistani, etc. Somehow there is an obsession with thai places the last 10 years, it's like the new sushi. I guess I don't get it.
So what was your basis for voting foto SF?

Old 02-14-2013, 04:41 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,966,660 times
Quote:
You can get Thai food that has none of that. I rarely, if ever, eat the food itself with that stuff.

Then again, I am just a big fan of spice and nothing more. So my end goal is different. As far as spice goes, there are probably no cuisines that can compare to Thai, especially if you go to the right place.

Also Hong Kong, the city itself has a disappointing food scene for a place of it's caliber. I wouldn't ever imagine putting their signature dishes above Thai.

Malaysian in my opinion is the best Asian foods there is but I'm biased because I'm Southeast Asian, Singaporean.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:22 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
LA must have great Thai Food because I remember walking by some packed Thai restaurant in the Hollywood/E. Hollywood area and it had a "C" health rating. I've never seen a place with a "C" so packed, it's pretty rare to see any places with a "C" in my experience at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City