Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 03:20 PM

300 posts, read 441,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post

Did you manage to type that without laughing?

While Twin Citian retirees are flocking to Phoenix, America's young and educated are flocking to the Twin Cities.
Have any numbers to back that up. I'd like to count myself as one of America's young and educated and I will be moving to Phoenix, making double the median family income.

This thread is just full of people spewing anecdotal situations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 03:27 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,863,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghdana View Post
Have any numbers to back that up. I'd like to count myself as one of America's young and educated and I will be moving to Phoenix, making double the median family income.

Look Ma, an anecdotal situation!

Old 03-23-2014, 03:39 PM

300 posts, read 441,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bslette View Post
Look Ma, an anecdotal situation!
thatwashalfofmypoint.jpg

Old 03-23-2014, 04:02 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,984,149 times
Quote:
The numbers you post don't really mean all that much when you consider the size of Phoenix vs M-SP. Just because Phoenix is on the top 15 moving to list doesn't mean that more people are moving to M-SP than Phoenix.

The Forbes one is the most up to date map I can find which would better reflect the current conditions.
Where did I state that more people are moving to Minneapolis - St. Paul than Phoenix? Nice try though.

My point was that the net gain of Twin Cities residents to Phoenix isn't as high as many here assume it is. Also, one would think that by the "sheer number" of Twin Cities residents living in the Phoenix area there would be at least be one MN county in the top 10 or 20 in terms of migration into Maricopa County

BTW, you are using the exact same source I am - the IRS.

Last edited by YIMBY; 03-23-2014 at 05:01 PM..

Old 03-23-2014, 04:07 PM

Quote:

Brainpower Rankings
#9 - Minneapolis - St. Paul
#72 - Phoenix

The Business Journals' brainpower rankings for 102 major markets - The Business Journals

Old 03-23-2014, 05:40 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,281,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
Where did I state that more people are moving to Minneapolis - St. Paul than Phoenix? Nice try though.

My point was that the net gain of Twin Cities residents to Phoenix isn't as high as many here assume it is. Also, one would think that by the "sheer number" of Twin Cities residents living in the Phoenix area there would be at least be one MN county in the top 10 or 20 in terms of migration into Maricopa County

BTW, you are using the exact same source I am - the IRS.
Or there are even higher numbers from other counties (possibly in the NE) that are overshadowing the MN counties.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
Brainpower Rankings
#9 - Minneapolis - St. Paul
#72 - Phoenix

The Business Journals' brainpower rankings for 102 major markets - The Business Journals
Not sure how they are calculating the score, but I want to point out that the rankings of MSP and Phoenix make the gap look a lot bigger than it really is. Just like the number of people moving from MSP to Phoenix is probably a lot smaller than what people are estimating.

MSP: HS: 93.0% - Bachelor's: 38.7% - Grad: 12.8%
Phoenix: HS: 86.2% - Bachelor's: 28.4% - Grad: 9.9%

MSP definitely has more brainpower than Phoenix without a doubt, but 9 vs 72 makes it seem like Phoenix is pretty uneducated, which is far from the truth.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post

Did you manage to type that without laughing?

While Twin Citian retirees are flocking to Phoenix, America's young and educated are flocking to the Twin Cities.
Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Old 03-23-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
MSP definitely has more brainpower than Phoenix without a doubt, but 9 vs 72 makes it seem like Phoenix is pretty uneducated, which is far from the truth.
They (The Business Journal) ranked the 102 largest markets so there are some pretty small metros included. That said, I agree with you.

Quote:
Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
Between 1980 and 2010 the share of metropolitan Phoenix's population with a Bachelor's degree or higher grew by 10.3%. During the same time period, metropolitan Minneapolis' share grew by 16%. Minneapolis - St. Paul is clearly attracting educated people so, Jennifat was right.

Source: National Journal.

Last edited by YIMBY; 03-23-2014 at 06:36 PM..

Old 03-23-2014, 06:16 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,363,075 times
Quote:
Not sure how they are calculating the score, but I want to point out that the rankings of MSP and Phoenix make the gap look a lot bigger than it really is. Just like the number of people moving from MSP to Phoenix is probably a lot smaller than what people are estimating.

MSP: HS: 93.0% - Bachelor's: 38.7% - Grad: 12.8%
Phoenix: HS: 86.2% - Bachelor's: 28.4% - Grad: 9.9%

Well, there are A LOT of metros in between those two. That's why the gap is huge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City