Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 01:26 PM

175 posts, read 304,070 times

Advertisements

Which city demonstrates:

1. The best culture?

2. The most urbanized, walkable downtown

3. Best nightlife?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 01:42 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,790,174 times
I'd have to say Seattle represents the best culture as they have not only American and native American culture but also world-class classical culture art, museums, and music that is clearly are above what Portland or Austin offer.

Most walkable? I'd go with Austin because it's a smaller downtown and almost completely flat and easy to walk around.

Best nightlife - Austin is the live music capital, no doubt. Seattle has a better big-city nightlife, though, because it's a big city. Portland has a dearth of variety (very few dance clubs where a Jersey guido would feel comfortable).

Most urbanized downtown is definitely Seattle.

My favorite of the 3 is Austin, but Seattle is almost tied with it. Austin gets the edge just because I think they offer an amazing amount of options for such a small city, while Seattle could offer more for as big a city as they are.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:17 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,393,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L3XVS View Post
Which city demonstrates:

1. The best culture?

2. The most urbanized, walkable downtown

3. Best nightlife?
1. Seattle
2. Portland
3. Austin

Old 06-15-2009, 02:29 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,502,936 times
Culture = Seattle
Most urbanized/walkable = Portland
Nightlife = Seattle

Old 06-15-2009, 03:13 PM

258 posts, read 1,035,391 times
Seattle
Portland
Seattle

Old 06-20-2009, 09:24 PM

246 posts, read 759,217 times
Portland has a great, urbanized walkable downtown.

Seattle has the biggest variety of nightlife, but I actually prefer Portland's bars. They have more soul and the people are friendlier...

Austin has a good nightlife but it is overrated, IMO.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:48 PM

281 posts, read 928,703 times
1. Seattle
2. Austin
3. Austin

Old 06-21-2009, 12:19 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,542,987 times

Old 06-21-2009, 01:10 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,010,681 times
Stating the downtown is walkable because it is smaller is a weird reason. In the extreme case if it has only one building of course it is walkable but what for? Retail in downtown Austin sucks compared to the other two. Not even close. I don't know why I should walk there. Maybe it is good for night life but never experienced so can't comment.

And the considering city size thing is also weird to me. Why would you consider the city size in terms of what it can offer you? If it can't offer you something, then you can't get it there. No matter how small the city is, you can't get it. The result is the same. You can comment like it is really amazing for a city of small size to offer so much, but when it comes to comparison on what the city can offer, I don't see why the city size should factor in. We should stick to what we an get from the city as a whole. City size brings other problems such as traffic and pollution, but that is totally a different story and it is not always true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
I'd have to say Seattle represents the best culture as they have not only American and native American culture but also world-class classical culture art, museums, and music that is clearly are above what Portland or Austin offer.

Most walkable? I'd go with Austin because it's a smaller downtown and almost completely flat and easy to walk around.

Best nightlife - Austin is the live music capital, no doubt. Seattle has a better big-city nightlife, though, because it's a big city. Portland has a dearth of variety (very few dance clubs where a Jersey guido would feel comfortable).

Most urbanized downtown is definitely Seattle.

My favorite of the 3 is Austin, but Seattle is almost tied with it. Austin gets the edge just because I think they offer an amazing amount of options for such a small city, while Seattle could offer more for as big a city as they are.

Last edited by fashionguy; 06-21-2009 at 01:29 AM..

Old 06-24-2009, 03:49 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,291,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
1. Seattle
2. Portland
3. Austin
Ditto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City