Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Mass Transit Expansion Plans
Dallas 17 23.29%
Denver 12 16.44%
Houston 2 2.74%
Los Angeles 28 38.36%
Seattle 7 9.59%
Minneapolis-St. Paul 5 6.85%
Other.. (please state) 2 2.74%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 10:58 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times

Advertisements

LA because the expansions are plugging into an already larger system and LA has a significantly higher job and population densities where the future lines are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 09:41 AM

10,748 posts, read 23,813,296 times
I had not mentioned Salt Lake City, overlooked due to a smaller population with the city at 189,000, and a metro of 1.1 million (Salt Lake City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) and growing corridor along I-15 approaching 2 million from Provo in the South up to Odgen in the North. SLC area already has a very impressive transit system in place with a commuter rail line in place from Provo up to Ogden. There are also 2 light rail lines serving the southern suburban area of Salt Lake and the University in Eastern Salt Lake City. More expansion is happening with another line being constructed to the West going out to the Airport. When I read into how well developed Salt Lake's mass transit is I was quite surprised, so I'm giving in honorable mention.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:05 PM

993 posts, read 1,767,118 times
Ok, I live in Minneapolis and I do not understand how people could pick it. I know the central corridor opens next year. They are thinking of expanding this to Eden Prairie I think. After that, most of the works could be so far in the future that they really don't compete with Denver and LA.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:17 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,979,299 times
Denver or Dallas because they are building a system for their future. Many of LA's future lines will reach capacity rather quickly. Taking population and density into consideration, LA isn't doing as much as other cities.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:52 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Denver or Dallas because they are building a system for their future. Many of LA's future lines will reach capacity rather quickly. Taking population and density into consideration, LA isn't doing as much as other cities.
Do you think the Expo Line will have Blue Line-esque ridership numbers once it is completed?

Really that is the only line I can think of being over-capacity (well, the Sepulveda Pass line too if it is anything other than a heavy-rail subway - which it probably won't be, it's looking like LRT or BRT).

What is crazy is the Expo Line was originally tossed around as a BRT Line. Thank goodness for Denny Zane and Move LA (one of the groups that lobbied for it to be LRT).

Old 03-10-2013, 01:08 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,700,318 times
I think LA and then Denver. Not sure after those 2. Pretty soon, we'll have a commuter rail to the airport. Then people will stop complaining about the distance

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...HDxYDgDQ#imgrc=_

Old 03-10-2013, 02:21 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,985,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC01 View Post
Ok, I live in Minneapolis and I do not understand how people could pick it. I know the central corridor opens next year. They are thinking of expanding this to Eden Prairie I think. After that, most of the works could be so far in the future that they really don't compete with Denver and LA.
You think they are expanding the system to Eden Prairie? It's a bit concerning that TC residents are that out of touch with what's going on within their own metro area. I guess this is part of the reason why nothing can get accomplished in a timely manner.

I'm not saying Minneapolis - St. Paul has the best, but the system that is about to be in place is pretty solid. It will top many US systems as it will connect several employment and activity centers including, an international airport, two downtown areas, the State Capitol, a major university, the largest mall in the US, numerous sporting venues, and a commuter line.

Current System:
Hiawatha: Blue
Connects downtown Minneapolis, MSP International, and the MOA.

Almost Complete:
Central Corridor: Green Line

The Central Corridor light rail line (Green Line) will start service in 2014. The line will connect 5 major activity centers: downtown Minneapolis, the University of Minnesota, the Midway area, the state Capitol area, and downtown St. Paul. The line’s western terminus in Minneapolis will be near Target Field. The Union Depot in downtown St. Paul will be the project's eastern terminus.

Population within each activity center:
Downtown Minneapolis: ~36,000
Cedar - Riverside: ~8,000
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis (immediate area): ~22,000
Midway West: ~14,000
Midway Central: ~13,000
Midway East: ~20,000
Capitol area and Downtown St. Paul: ~14,500

Workforce within each activity center:
Downtown Minneapolis: ~160,000
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis: ~25,000
Midway: ~5,000
Capitol area: ~30,000
Downtown St. Paul: ~72,000

Final Design Stage:
Southwest Corridor:
* Extension of the Central Corridor (Green Line)

* Line will be from downtown Minneapolis through SW metro area suburbs, including St. Louis Park, Hopkins, Minnetonka, and Eden Prairie.

* Line will connect to the Opus/Golden Triangle area, which is employs over 30,000 people.

I'm really excited to check out Denver's East rail line.

Last edited by YIMBY; 03-10-2013 at 03:06 PM..

Old 03-10-2013, 02:43 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
You think?

I'm not saying Minneapolis - St. Paul has the best, but the system that is about to be in place is pretty solid. It will top many US systems as it will connect several employment and activity centers including, an international airport, two downtown areas, a major university, the largest mall in the US, numerous sporting venues, and a commuter line.

Current System:
Hiawatha: Blue
Connects downtown Minneapolis, MSP International, and the MOA.

Almost Complete:
Central Corridor: Green Line

The Central Corridor light rail line (Green Line) will start service in 2014. The line will connect 5 major activity centers: downtown Minneapolis, the University of Minnesota, the Midway area, the state Capitol area, and downtown St. Paul. The line’s western terminus in Minneapolis will be near Target Field. The Union Depot in downtown St. Paul will be the project's eastern terminus.

Population within each activity center:
Downtown Minneapolis: ~36,000
Cedar - Riverside: ~8,000
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis (immediate area): ~22,000
Midway West: ~14,000
Midway Central: ~13,000
Midway East: ~20,000
Capitol area and Downtown St. Paul: ~14,500

Workforce within each activity center:
Downtown Minneapolis: ~160,000
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis: ~25,000
Midway: ~5,000
Capitol area: ~30,000
Downtown St. Paul: ~72,000

I'm really excited to experience Denver's East rail line.
Wait, is this a different project than the Central Corridor / Green Line?

What is the routing for the Central Corridor? Is it on that existing ROW, or is it along University Ave?

Old 03-10-2013, 02:55 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,985,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Wait, is this a different project than the Central Corridor / Green Line?

What is the routing for the Central Corridor? Is it on that existing ROW, or is it along University Ave?
No. The Central Corridor is the Green Line.

The line begins just west of the Cedar Riverside complex and runs through U of M, including Stadium Village, along Washington Avenue and onto University Avenue. The line will then go onto N. Robert Street and then onto Cedar and into downtown St. Paul where it will end near the new Saint Paul Saints ball park.

Route through downtown St. Paul. The string of blocks on either side of the Green Line (highlighted in green) and areas within a 5-minute walk (highlighted in white).

Old 03-10-2013, 04:17 PM

993 posts, read 1,767,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
You think they are expanding the system to Eden Prairie? It's a bit concerning that TC residents are that out of touch with what's going on within their own metro area. I guess this is part of the reason why nothing can get accomplished in a timely manner.

Final Design Stage:
Southwest Corridor:
* Extension of the Central Corridor (Green Line)

* Line will be from downtown Minneapolis through SW metro area suburbs, including St. Louis Park, Hopkins, Minnetonka, and Eden Prairie.

* Line will connect to the Opus/Golden Triangle area, which is employs over 30,000 people.

I'm really excited to check out Denver's East rail line.
Isn't that what I said???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City