Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the best?
Indianapolis 24 14.37%
Pittsburgh 143 85.63%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 06:56 PM

15 posts, read 55,048 times

Advertisements

Which one is better? what do you think? please compare the following:
Transit
Public Transport
Education (high school and college)
Cost of living
Housing cost (rentals)
Economy

My family is planning to move. I posted another thread asking for opinions on different cities and people were very positive about Indianapolis. Then I did a little more research and bumped with Pittsburgh. Even though I think Indianapolis is a very good city overall (I did some research) I am a little skeptical about high school education. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 07:28 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,511,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sc1anurox View Post
Transit
Public Transport
Cost of living
Housing cost (rentals)
Economy

My family is planning to move. I posted another thread asking for opinions on different cities and people were very positive about Indianapolis. Then I did a little more research and bumped with Pittsburgh. Even though I think Indianapolis is a very good city overall (I did some research) I am a little skeptical about high school education. Thanks
Carmel and Fishers high schools in the Indianapolis area have some of the best schools in the country and the best schools in the state. both are 4-5 star schools.
Carmel High School - Carmel, California - CA - School overview
The only beef some parents have about both schools is they are large 5A schools in the state of Indiana.
Their athletics though are unmatched and you see Carmel high school win state championship after state championship. Carmel also was ranked as the best place to live in America by CNN Money magazine.
Carmel, IN - Best Places to Live - Money Magazine

Indianapolis has the LOWEST Cost of living of any Major US city.
Indy also has the nations most affordable housing market and the 2nd strongest economy in the midwest. 2nd to the Twin Cities.
Mass transit is our only weak spot however there is a comprehensive new transit plan for Central Indiana.
Indy Connect | A Central Indiana Public Transportation Initiative | Home
In Indianapolis its actually cheaper to buy a house compared to renting. I would recommend renting only for a short time to get to know the city and the neighborhoods then buy a home. Average home price is 125,000$ and most of those are in nice neighborhoods.
College education well Indianapolis has access to all the universities in Indiana.
Notre Dame in South Bend
Ball State in Muncie
Purdue in Lafeyette
Indiana University in Bloomington
Vincinnnes University
University of Southern Indiana
Rose Hulman in Terre Haute
IUPUI in Indianapolis
University of Indianapolis
Butler University in Indy
Trine University up in Angola
and so on.
One thing youll really like about Indianapolis is how low the traffic is for a city its size and the amendities it offers. As a forbes writer put it. Indianapolis offers all the big city amendities without the actual big city.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:44 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,003,171 times
Pittsburgh (and this school is only about 1.5 hours out of town)

Old 03-23-2013, 07:50 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
I voted Indy because I feel like it's a nice city. Pittsburgh seems nice too.

Old 03-24-2013, 04:17 PM

416 posts, read 700,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Carmel and Fishers high schools in the Indianapolis area have some of the best schools in the country and the best schools in the state. both are 4-5 star schools.
Carmel High School - Carmel, California - CA - School overview
The only beef some parents have about both schools is they are large 5A schools in the state of Indiana.
Their athletics though are unmatched and you see Carmel high school win state championship after state championship. Carmel also was ranked as the best place to live in America by CNN Money magazine.
Carmel, IN - Best Places to Live - Money Magazine

Indianapolis has the LOWEST Cost of living of any Major US city.
Indy also has the nations most affordable housing market and the 2nd strongest economy in the midwest. 2nd to the Twin Cities.
Mass transit is our only weak spot however there is a comprehensive new transit plan for Central Indiana.
Indy Connect | A Central Indiana Public Transportation Initiative | Home
In Indianapolis its actually cheaper to buy a house compared to renting. I would recommend renting only for a short time to get to know the city and the neighborhoods then buy a home. Average home price is 125,000$ and most of those are in nice neighborhoods.
College education well Indianapolis has access to all the universities in Indiana.
Notre Dame in South Bend
Ball State in Muncie
Purdue in Lafeyette
Indiana University in Bloomington
Vincinnnes University
University of Southern Indiana
Rose Hulman in Terre Haute
IUPUI in Indianapolis
University of Indianapolis
Butler University in Indy
Trine University up in Angola
and so on.
One thing youll really like about Indianapolis is how low the traffic is for a city its size and the amendities it offers. As a forbes writer put it. Indianapolis offers all the big city amendities without the actual big city.
Just curious, is there anything else we can see posted on Indianapolis? Everytime I read a thread about Indianapolis I feel like I am reading the same thing, and it's not like it exceeds a lot of other cities by some large amount in what I am reading. "Lowest cost of living in the US of major cities" "most affordable housing" etc. Raleigh is pretty affordable. Compare that to Indianapolis. So is Kansas City. "Second strongest economy in the Midwest" would go to Columbus out of major markets, smaller markets you're looking at Madison and Des Moines.

With that said, Indianapolis doesn't have anything like Carnegie Mellon or PITT.

Old 03-24-2013, 04:47 PM

6,071 posts, read 9,095,810 times
Pittsburgh wins this one hands down. Maybe not this next year in football though.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:38 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,511,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMahValley View Post
Just curious, is there anything else we can see posted on Indianapolis? Everytime I read a thread about Indianapolis I feel like I am reading the same thing, and it's not like it exceeds a lot of other cities by some large amount in what I am reading. "Lowest cost of living in the US of major cities" "most affordable housing" etc. Raleigh is pretty affordable. Compare that to Indianapolis. So is Kansas City. "Second strongest economy in the Midwest" would go to Columbus out of major markets, smaller markets you're looking at Madison and Des Moines.

With that said, Indianapolis doesn't have anything like Carnegie Mellon or PITT.
What is there a problem showing off Indy's assets?
and 2nd strongest economy of course applies to the larger cities with a metro population of 1.5M+
Columbus has the 3rd strongest economy in the midwest behind Indy and Minneapolis.
Regardless Indy and Pittsburgh are nice. Indy is much easier to navigate through and has a lower cost of living/more affordable housing and way less traffic.
In this day and age with a declining middle class america people are moving where you can get the best bang for your buck. Indy offers that hence why the middle class in Indianapolis is strong and growing. People are realizing with Indy's affordability you can use the money saved compared to other cities and vacation around the world and experience more. Hence why you could say Indy gives you more freedom.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:57 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,094,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
What is there a problem showing off Indy's assets?
and 2nd strongest economy of course applies to the larger cities with a metro population of 1.5M+
Columbus has the 3rd strongest economy in the midwest behind Indy and Minneapolis.
Regardless Indy and Pittsburgh are nice. Indy is much easier to navigate through and has a lower cost of living/more affordable housing and way less traffic.
In this day and age with a declining middle class america people are moving where you can get the best bang for your buck. Indy offers that hence why the middle class in Indianapolis is strong and growing. People are realizing with Indy's affordability you can use the money saved compared to other cities and vacation around the world and experience more. Hence why you could say Indy gives you more freedom.
Methinks your inexperience is showing, again.

Pittsburgh has an extraordinarily cheap housing market; you can buy starter homes in Pittsburgh for prices that are unthinkable in many other markets, which is part of the reason why a lot of young people are being attracted back to the city. I have several friends that are buying homes there currently. If I knew that I wanted to stay long enough for the investment to be worth my while, I would buy a home there, too. In a heartbeat. And I don't have a heck of a lot of money, either...

Are you insinuating that Pittsburgh has a lot of traffic? Pittsburgh traffic clogs up for about 5 minutes on the entrances to freeways and tunnels, and then afterwards, everybody zooms right back up to highway speed, and it's over. And that's at rush hour. Hearing people complain about traffic in Pittsburgh always makes me smile-- it is a cakewalk compared to rush hour in Minneapolis. As far as it being tough to navigate....it's not really, once you're used to it. The thing about Pittsburgh is there are so many major arterial routes bisecting the city-- both north/south and east/west-- that you learn the rest of the city and wherever you need to go in relation to them: so-and-so lives between Baum and Liberty, for instance, or this restaurant is on Ellsworth, between Negley and Highland. Except within your own neighborhood, it never really occurs to you that Pittsburgh is not on a grid. These are *big* streets, too, and there's very good highway access into and out of town, so traffic filters and flows pretty freely-- along several different routes into and out of downtown.

Parking is a bit hairy in Pittsburgh, and I still can't for the life of me make sense out of the South Hills. But other than that....insinuating that Pittsburgh is tough to navigate or get around in? Please.

I'd much rather pay Pittsburgh prices-- only marginally higher, I suspect, than Indy prices-- and get all of the amenities and the benefit of the city's great location, etc. But that's just me...

Old 03-25-2013, 10:57 AM

89 posts, read 179,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sc1anurox View Post
Transit
Public Transport
Cost of living
Housing cost (rentals)
Economy

Never lived in Pittsburgh, but I do have a 2nd home in Carmel in addition to my place in Chicago so I know a decent amount about the area.

For Indy

Transit: Its a very much car oriented city, walking and and public transportation are not very practical. Its a low density and relatively spread out city, so you might have to do a fair amount of driving to get to places. Fortunately traffic is usually not an issue in Indy.

Public Transportation: Pitiful

Education High School: High schools in Indy is pretty average, but the high schools in Carmel and Fishers are excellent (not really surprising Carmel and Fishers are very wealthy neighborhoods)

Education College: Notre Dame is a private school so doesn't really matter if you are in state or not. Indiana University depending on the major can be excellent or mediocre. (it have an excellent and highly ranked Business school, Medical and Musical program but things kinda drops of from there)

Housing Cost: Housing cost in Indy including suburbs like Carmel is very low. On the flip side, real estate appreciation in Indy is very very small even in a good year.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:03 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,978,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
Pittsburgh traffic clogs up for about 5 minutes on the entrances to freeways and tunnels, and then afterwards, everybody zooms right back up to highway speed, and it's over. And that's at rush hour. Hearing people complain about traffic in Pittsburgh always makes me smile-- it is a cakewalk compared to rush hour in Minneapolis. As far as it being tough to navigate....it's not really, once you're used to it. The thing about Pittsburgh is there are so many major arterial routes bisecting the city-- both north/south and east/west-- that you learn the rest of the city and wherever you need to go in relation to them: so-and-so lives between Baum and Liberty, for instance, or this restaurant is on Ellsworth, between Negley and Highland. Except within your own neighborhood, it never really occurs to you that Pittsburgh is not on a grid. These are *big* streets, too, and there's very good highway access into and out of town, so traffic filters and flows pretty freely-- along several different routes into and out of downtown.

Parking is a bit hairy in Pittsburgh, and I still can't for the life of me make sense out of the South Hills. But other than that....insinuating that Pittsburgh is tough to navigate or get around in? Please.

I'd much rather pay Pittsburgh prices-- only marginally higher, I suspect, than Indy prices-- and get all of the amenities and the benefit of the city's great location, etc. But that's just me...
Actually, it is much more difficult to navigate. It's trucker unfriendly for starters. The lack of truck stops and parking sucks in Pittsburgh. (even Scranton, Wilks and Harrisburg have better parking options) The steep rugged hills and one way streets cause me to use lower gear more often causing the use of more horse power burning more fuel. Indy doesn't have all that. It's terrain is primarily flat and consists more of a north-south and east-west street grid layout which is the easiest to navigate. Pittsburgh's roads have unpredictable twist and turns like Atlanta's. Also the snow/ice covered hilly roads make matters even worse. 5 minutes?? Are you kidding? The back up delay from the Fort Pitt and Suirrel Hill Tunnels are much much longer than 5 minutes during rush hour. I know since I have gone through them countless times. I probably go to more cities and states in a week than anyone on here. I don't really need Google to know how horrible Pitt's traffic is. It just is. I try to avoid driving through the city of Pitt during rush. Obviously, when you have a larger metro population it's going to have more traffic. Indy doesn't have that population problem and that's a given.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City