Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 01:32 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,568,941 times

Advertisements

Racism in Chicago is fairly noticeable, just like it is in most places. I find the word 'homophobic' to be annoying. Anyone who isn't marching down the street supporting gays seems to get that label. It's a cute little word created by ultra-liberal Democrats.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:34 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,888,666 times
Nada, though not nonexistent in the suburbs.

I would ascribe the term homophobic to anyone who publicly would try to deny equal rights to gay individuals or make comments to that effect and have never heard it slapped on anyone who isn't marching in support.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:41 PM

176 posts, read 348,686 times
This isn't fair! As a white male i'm constantly discriminated against in Philadelphia by African Americans. "White Boy" should be added to that list.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:52 PM

6,805 posts, read 6,029,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
How would you describe your city or other cities (based on your own experiences) when it comes to racism or homophobia? Do you think these maps are a good representation?

'Geography of Hate' maps the homophobia and racism on Twitter:

floatingsheep: The Geography of Hate

MAP:

Hate Map

What's up with Vermont?

Old 05-13-2013, 03:05 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,730,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
They chose to be this way! !
No, they dont. Thats just what people tell themselves to make themselves feel better about their own opinion.

The fact you say that you wouldnt hang out with gay people leads me to believe you dont have any gay friends nor a gay person who is close to you. If you ever did and listen to what their life has been like, you would never have that opinion.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:11 PM

8,608 posts, read 10,139,218 times
Quote:
I hate when people lump being a homo with race. Being homo is an un-natural act, and don't care for this lifestye. I don't go bashing gays but you want find me kicking it with them. They chose to be this way! Race is natural and have no problem with a person's skin color. People are born with their skin color. I'm so sick of gay rights and gay marriage. In the past you could express these views and have a following, now people will call you a bad person because you don't like gay people. I quess right and wrong is in the eye of the beholder.

I will say that South Florida is very intergrated and racisim is not in your face like Boston!
If you bothered to read the OP, you'd see that I asked how racist OR homophobic does your city seem. It saddens me to hear that you find gay people so offensive, unnatural, underserving of equal rights and benefits, and I'm not sure why you even allow it to bother you so much.

In any case, back to the topic.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:30 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,798,787 times
Quote:
I hate when people lump being a homo with race. Being homo is an un-natural act, and don't care for this lifestye. I don't go bashing gays but you want find me kicking it with them. They chose to be this way! Race is natural and have no problem with a person's skin color. People are born with their skin color. I'm so sick of gay rights and gay marriage. In the past you could express these views and have a following, now people will call you a bad person because you don't like gay people. I quess right and wrong is in the eye of the beholder.

I will say that South Florida is very intergrated and racisim is not in your face like Boston!
Wow, what a post. So if you have no issues with people bashing gays and saying they should not have the same rights as straight people, what do you have to say for the people back in the 50s and 60s that opposed African American rights and were sick and tired of hearing about them?

Old 05-13-2013, 03:41 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,730,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Middle Eastern with an Asian wife.

I never said my area was devoid of racism or homophobia, but as far as how it feels, I would never associate either of those terms with where I live.
Some people believe that you have to be white in order to be content with race relations.

Old 05-13-2013, 04:49 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,899,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Wow, what a post. So if you have no issues with people bashing gays and saying they should not have the same rights as straight people, what do you have to say for the people back in the 50s and 60s that opposed African American rights and were sick and tired of hearing about them?
Again for the second time you can't compare skin color to an un-natural act such as being homo-sexual. No comparison. For the person that says being gay is not a choice please educate me.

Old 05-13-2013, 04:55 PM

8,608 posts, read 10,139,218 times
Quote:
Again for the second time you can't compare skin color to an un-natural act such as being homo-sexual. No comparison. For the person that says being gay is not a choice please educate me.
Let me ask this so we can move on from this. Have you ever attempted to educate yourself on the subject?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City